Old April 16th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG from Stratford-Seven Kings?

Just wondering, as I want to go to see Ilford FC v Barking & East Ham FC
tomorrow.....

I could go by bus (from Greengate near where I live, number 5 to Barking
bus garage, then the 145 to South Park Drive, and walk to the stadium in
IG1 1UE). But that would take well over an hour according to the Journey
Planner.

On the other hand, if I time it well, I could take a bus to Stratford, the
train to Seven Kings, and walk to the stadium, in probably about 40 minutes
(55 according to the journey planner). But if it's likely to cost me much
more I won't bother.

First one would mean 4 buses for there and back. Second one would be 2
buses and 2 train rides.

Are there barriers at Seven Kings for a PAYG?

If not, would it be cheaper to use my Oyster PAYG for the buses to and from
Stratford, and get a cheap-day return to Seven Kings, or would it be
cheaper to get a paper travelcard for zones 2-6 from the corner shop before
getting on any buses?

You don't have to answer any of this, I'm rambling. My point is, how bloody
complicated it is when you don't want to break the law, but you don't want
to lose money to a system that is far from perfect.

Old April 16th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:52:34 -0500, "Tristán White"
wrote:

First one would mean 4 buses for there and back.

This would cost £3.00 (using PAYG).

Second one would be 2 buses and 2 train rides.

Are there barriers at Seven Kings for a PAYG?

It doesn't matter whether there are barriers - PAYG is not valid on
National Rail east of Stratford.

If not, would it be cheaper to use my Oyster PAYG for the buses to and from
Stratford, and get a cheap-day return to Seven Kings,

This would cost £1.60 + £2.90 (a total of £4.50).

or would it be
cheaper to get a paper travelcard for zones 2-6 from the corner shop before
getting on any buses?

Yes - this would cost £4.30.

You don't have to answer any of this, I'm rambling. My point is, how bloody
complicated it is when you don't want to break the law, but you don't want
to lose money to a system that is far from perfect.

Very

We're in something of a transitional phase at the moment. Once PAYG is
valid on all of National Rail in London it'll all become very simple.
(I hope.)
Old April 16th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . 145,
Tristán White wrote:
Are there barriers at Seven Kings for a PAYG?

Stratford - Seven Kings is not a PAYG area. You can use PAYG
on the Tube and very few NR trains (Straford to Liverpool Street;
some bits of the NLL south of Stratford; Walthamstow to Liverpool
Street are the only bits east of the City, IIRC).

If not, would it be cheaper to use my Oyster PAYG for the buses to and from
Stratford, and get a cheap-day return to Seven Kings, or would it be
cheaper to get a paper travelcard for zones 2-6 from the corner shop before
getting on any buses?

www.nationalrail.co.uk has fare details; I think a standard day single
from Stratford to Seven Kings is 1.80 (can't see a CDR fare).

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.
Old April 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Just wondering, as I want to go to see Ilford FC v Barking & East Ham FC
tomorrow.....

I could go by bus (from Greengate near where I live, number 5 to Barking
bus garage, then the 145 to South Park Drive, and walk to the stadium in
IG1 1UE). But that would take well over an hour according to the Journey
Planner.

On the other hand, if I time it well, I could take a bus to Stratford, the
train to Seven Kings, and walk to the stadium, in probably about 40 minutes
(55 according to the journey planner). But if it's likely to cost me much
more I won't bother.

First one would mean 4 buses for there and back. Second one would be 2
buses and 2 train rides.

4 bus trips would be £3 on PAYG as the One Day Bus Pass cap will be
activated on the 4th trip.

Are there barriers at Seven Kings for a PAYG?

No, PAYG is not valid for Stratford - Seven Kings.

If not, would it be cheaper to use my Oyster PAYG for the buses to and from
Stratford, and get a cheap-day return to Seven Kings, or would it be
cheaper to get a paper travelcard for zones 2-6 from the corner shop before
getting on any buses?

CDR on the train is £2.90
Buses would be £1.60 on PAYG
ODTC Z2-6 is £4.30

I'd wander to the Newsagents personally - you also get flexibility to
change route without having to think about it in case you need / want
to.

You don't have to answer any of this, I'm rambling. My point is, how bloody
complicated it is when you don't want to break the law, but you don't want
to lose money to a system that is far from perfect.

Yes but the main issue is the train companies' decision not to
participate in the Oyster scheme except to the barest extent necessary.
--
Paul C

Old April 16th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the reply. Outrageous that a cheap-day return (10 minutes there,
10 minutes back) costs £2.90

Still, better than paying £1.80 twice (which is the price of the single
journey).

I wonder whether, if they brought the prices down,there'd be fewer people
fare-dodging and they'd end up making more money? It's the same as pirate
DVDs.... if a film costs £15 from the shops, is it any wonder that peeps
pay £5 in the pubs? But if they cost £7 in the shops, more people would go
for the shop-bought DVD....

In the end I'll get a 2-6 day travelcard I think... and then if I see a bus
going to Barking from the Greengate before I see one going up to Stratford,
I'll take the bus to Greengate, then realise that I'm going to end up
paying £1.30 more than had I been using PAYG, and end up going to Mile End
for a few jars afterwards just to make my conscious feel as though I'm
making good use of my travelcard and won't feel as conned. And end up
spending £20 down the pub.

Yep, that's logical.... :-))

Old April 16th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

PAYG is not valid on National Rail east of Stratford.

Upminster is east of Stratford.

--
Bob

Old April 16th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:45:17 GMT, "Bob Wood"
wrote:

PAYG is not valid on National Rail east of Stratford.

Upminster is east of Stratford.

Oops, you're right. Perhaps I should have said it's not valid on 'one'
east of Stratford.
Old April 16th 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:31:09 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow
wrote:

In article . 145,
Tristán White wrote:
Are there barriers at Seven Kings for a PAYG?

Stratford - Seven Kings is not a PAYG area. You can use PAYG
on the Tube and very few NR trains (Straford to Liverpool Street;
some bits of the NLL south of Stratford; Walthamstow to Liverpool
Street are the only bits east of the City, IIRC).

PAYG is also valid Liv St - Tottenham Hale / Seven Sisters. This
parallels the validity to Walthamstow Central as all the links are Liv
St to the nearest Victoria Line interchange.

If not, would it be cheaper to use my Oyster PAYG for the buses to and from
Stratford, and get a cheap-day return to Seven Kings, or would it be
cheaper to get a paper travelcard for zones 2-6 from the corner shop before
getting on any buses?

www.nationalrail.co.uk has fare details; I think a standard day single
from Stratford to Seven Kings is 1.80 (can't see a CDR fare).

You need to input a return journey search to get return fares to appear.
--
Paul C

Old April 16th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Yes but the main issue is the train companies' decision not to
participate in the Oyster scheme except to the barest extent
necessary.

Correction: The main issue is the government's refusal to allow the
train companies to participate in the Oyster scheme except to the barest
extent necessary (because it is not standards-compliant).

Everyone seems to have someone else to blame for the current mess!

If the government is vetoing implementing it, how do you explain the
requirements for the South West Trains franchise?