Old April 17th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus turning Point at New Southagate

Drive around new southagate the day i came across a bus turning
point/terminus at Beaconsfield Road/ Oakleigh Road South Junction near
the the GNER Bridges

Looks very deserted and un used....what bus route used, it still has
buses only signs but private cars were parked in it

seems an odd place to terminate a route as beaconsfielsd road is
restricted width access

Geoff of Muswell Hill

old enough to have been born before the NHS started and probably young
enough to die after its demise

Old April 17th 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...

Drive around new southagate

Well, it is full of Italians!

the day i came across
a bus turning point/terminus at Beaconsfield Road/
Oakleigh Road South Junction near the the GNER Bridges

This thing...
http://maps.google.co.uk/?t=k&om=1&l...01347,0.002494

In the 1970s/80s, number 34 buses from Walthamstow often turned there. IIRC
it was called "New Southgate (Standard Telephone And Cable)" on the blinds.
STC was the massive factory which occupied what is now North London Business
Park. I don't know if any terminators were scheduled, or if they were cut
short there to get back on time. I can't recall if number 251 buses ever
terminated there.

seems an odd place to terminate a route as
beaconsfielsd road is restricted width access

The buses never went further down Beaconsfield Road.

Other disused bus termini in North London can be found at Bush Hill / Green
Lanes
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.6365...02494&t=k&om=1 ,
and at Hedge Lane / Green Lanes
http://maps.google.co.uk/?t=k&om=1&l...01347,0.002494 .

I don't know if Whetstone Griffin was ever a bus terminus...
http://maps.google.co.uk/?t=k&om=1&l...01347,0.002494 .
Buses terminated at Friern Barnet Town Hall until a couple of years ago, so
I'm guessing that the sliproad on the northeast corner was a bus stand
http://maps.google.co.uk/?t=k&om=1&l...01347,0.002494 .

Old April 18th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Drive around new southagate

Well, it is full of Italians!

LOL!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 18th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Drive around new southagate the day i came across a bus turning
point/terminus at Beaconsfield Road/ Oakleigh Road South Junction near
the the GNER Bridges

Looks very deserted and un used....what bus route used, it still has
buses only signs but private cars were parked in it

seems an odd place to terminate a route as beaconsfielsd road is
restricted width access

It was for short journeys on the 34. The industrial estate over the
railway bridge used to be a factory (yes, it actually made things -
telephone exchanges) complete with wood and metal working facilities!
I used to work there in the 1970's and lived in Enfield Town. Bus 123
took me to Palmers Green, and from there a 34 took me to New Southgate.
Around 8:00 am there were a couple of short journeys from Palmers
Green garage to the Standard Telephone Works.

I think there were some short workings at the end of the day, too, but
as far as I recall the timings were completely random!

I was made redundant in 1982, and since then have worked in Stevenage,
Letchworth and various offices in central London

Peter