Old May 16th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Strange sight in Thurrock - PRT?

Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at the M25/A13 junction
heading towards Tilbury. The cargo was approximately 18 identical cabins,
possibly for some sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). They were black
and sleek, so I don't think they belonged to a fairground ride. It's
possible that they belonged to the sort of "road-train" in operation during
the summer along Hastings seafront, but they didn't really look right for
that either. Any clues?

Old May 17th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway John Rowland wrote:
Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at the M25/A13 junction
heading towards Tilbury. The cargo was approximately 18 identical cabins,
possibly for some sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). They were black
and sleek, so I don't think they belonged to a fairground ride. It's
possible that they belonged to the sort of "road-train" in operation during
the summer along Hastings seafront, but they didn't really look right for
that either. Any clues?

They weren't those little electric cars that have been popping up on
the telly every so often (one on Newsnight last night for example, and
on Top Gear a few weeks ago). All the ones I've seen of those have been
black.

Jim'll
Old May 17th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at the M25/A13 junction
heading towards Tilbury. The cargo was approximately 18 identical cabins,
possibly for some sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). They were black
and sleek, so I don't think they belonged to a fairground ride. It's
possible that they belonged to the sort of "road-train" in operation during
the summer along Hastings seafront, but they didn't really look right for
that either. Any clues?

I've occasionally seen the cabs for things like JCBs/similar on the
backs of car transporters - it wasn't those was it?

Old May 17th 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Rowland wrote:

Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at
the M25/A13 junction heading towards Tilbury. The cargo
was approximately 18 identical cabins, possibly for some
sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). that either. Any clues?

I've occasionally seen the cabs for things like JCBs/similar
on the backs of car transporters - it wasn't those was it?

That was what they most resembled, thanks. I didn't know that JCB cabs were
seperable, and I still don't know why they would be!

Old May 18th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Rowland wrote:

Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at
the M25/A13 junction heading towards Tilbury. The cargo
was approximately 18 identical cabins, possibly for some
sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). that either. Any clues?

I've occasionally seen the cabs for things like JCBs/similar
on the backs of car transporters - it wasn't those was it?

That was what they most resembled, thanks. I didn't know that JCB cabs
were seperable, and I still don't know why they would be!

So they can make them in one location then transport them for assembly.

Old May 18th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Rowland wrote:

Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at
the M25/A13 junction heading towards Tilbury. The cargo
was approximately 18 identical cabins, possibly for some
sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). that either. Any clues?

I've occasionally seen the cabs for things like JCBs/similar
on the backs of car transporters - it wasn't those was it?

That was what they most resembled, thanks. I didn't know that JCB cabs
were seperable, and I still don't know why they would be!

So they can make them in one location then transport them for assembly.

Not so much for JCB, as they own their own plastic moulding plant in the
midlands, but possibly for Case (Doncaster) or New Holland (Essex)- we get
regular lorry-loads of them through the Tunnel from mainland Europe. It does
take quite a while to realise what they are, as they're nested together in
two layers on the trailers.
Brian

Old May 18th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 2006-05-18, BH Williams wrote:

Not so much for JCB, as they own their own plastic moulding plant in the
midlands, but possibly for Case (Doncaster) or New Holland (Essex)

New Holland is in Pennsylvania.

)

(The tractor company is named after the place. Or the other way
round.)

--
"Other people are not your property."

It may well be, but the factory's the old Ford tractor plant (near
Braintree,IIRC).
Brian

Old May 19th 06, 06:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

BH Williams wrote:
"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message

wrote in message
egroups.com...

John Rowland wrote:

Today (Tuesday) at lunchtime I saw a car transporter at
the M25/A13 junction heading towards Tilbury. The cargo
was approximately 18 identical cabins, possibly for some
sort of PRT (personalised rapid transit). that either. Any clues?

I've occasionally seen the cabs for things like JCBs/similar
on the backs of car transporters - it wasn't those was it?

That was what they most resembled, thanks. I didn't know that JCB cabs
were seperable, and I still don't know why they would be!

So they can make them in one location then transport them for assembly.

Not so much for JCB, as they own their own plastic moulding plant in the
midlands, but possibly for Case (Doncaster)

Case are not in Doncaster any more.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old May 20th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:18:06 on Sat, 20 May
2006, Huge remarked:
There are three New Hollands in Britain.

The agricultural machinery manufacturer one, however, is in
Pennsylvania.

Which is either to the north of Exeter, or a few miles north of Bath.
Old May 21st 06, 12:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london