London Banter

-   -   tunnel routes (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4192-tunnel-routes.html)

eastender June 4th 06 08:53 PM

tunnel routes

Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

E.

Richard J. June 4th 06 11:01 PM

tunnel routes

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see a
map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South Kensington
station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite good
if you want to check on a particular location. You need to combine a
tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the area
concerned.
--
Richard J.

Martin Underwood June 5th 06 09:42 AM

tunnel routes

Richard J. wrote in message
:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see
a map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South
Kensington station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite
good if you want to check on a particular location. You need to
combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the
area concerned.

The best map I've found for showing the geographical routes of the tube
lines is an NCP London Parking Guide map that I picked up free at the Motor
Show a few years ago.

An excerpt of the section north-east of South Kensington is at
http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/SouthKen.jpg - this certainly shows one
S bend between ALexander Road and Cromwell Road, and another very tight bend
(although only a single bend) immediately east of South Kensington station.

The map shows how accurately the earlier lines followed the routes of roads
above them.

eastender June 5th 06 10:44 AM

tunnel routes

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see a
map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South Kensington
station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite good
if you want to check on a particular location. You need to combine a
tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the area
concerned.

It was the programme last night on tube crash that got me thinking where
the tunnels go from Drayton Pk down to Moorgate - my office is in New North
Rd and I wonder if I'm above said tunnels, but seems there is no easy way
to find out. Also, there is news that a listed museum in Spitalfields is
worried about location of Crossrail tunnels.

E.

Martin Underwood June 5th 06 11:00 AM

tunnel routes

eastender wrote in message
:

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
[...]

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines running
(together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station. Just north of here,
they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line running under East Road and then
New North Road to Essex Road station where the line continues along
Canonbury - and off the edge of my map!

eastender June 5th 06 11:26 AM

tunnel routes

Martin Underwood wrote:

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines running
(together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station. Just north of here,
they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line running under East Road and then
New North Road to Essex Road station where the line continues along
Canonbury - and off the edge of my map!

What map is this, Martin?

E.

Martin Underwood June 5th 06 12:26 PM

tunnel routes

eastender wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines running
(together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station. Just north
of here, they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line running under
East Road and then New North Road to Essex Road station where the
line continues along Canonbury - and off the edge of my map!

What map is this, Martin?

Sorry - I referred to it earlier in this thread. It's a free NCP Parking Map
that I picked up at the Motor Show. The copyright information says "John
Bartholomew, 1985". Look at my earlier posting for a URL to a section of the
map which illustrates the level of information available - for the area
around South Ken, since that what was referred to in the posting that I
replied to.

The map shows the routes of all the underground lines in central London,
many of which run along main roads to avoid passing under houses on either
side.

Richard J. June 5th 06 01:24 PM

tunnel routes

Martin Underwood wrote:
Richard J. wrote in message
:

eastender wrote:
[...]

I didn't realise that map was still being updated. I have a 1956
version of the same map in Bartholomew's Central London Atlas-Guide. I
notice that your version, like mine, still has "South Kensington Stas.",
dating from the time when the Piccadilly station was separate from the
District. Yes, it is quite good, though not completely accurate at
South Ken. What route does it show for the Jubilee Line between Baker
Street and Bond Street? It should show it passing under Park Square
near Regents Park station.

--
Richard J.

Richard J. June 5th 06 03:32 PM

tunnel routes

Martin Underwood wrote:
eastender wrote in message
:

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are
quite good if you want to check on a particular location. You need
to combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in
the area concerned.

I've just realised that the JP maps are only accurate for *current* LU
lines. The tunnel from Drayton Park to Old Street is shown as dotted
straight lines from station to station.

It was the programme last night on tube crash that got me thinking
where the tunnels go from Drayton Pk down to Moorgate - my office
is in New North Rd and I wonder if I'm above said tunnels, but seems
there is no easy way to find out. Also, there is news that a
listed museum in Spitalfields is worried about location of
Crossrail tunnels.

Not sure why that is "news" - people in Spitalfields have been
campaigning against Crossrail for years - but anyway Crossrail's
detailed tunnel alignments have been made available to people affected
for some time.

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines
running (together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station.
Just north of here, they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line
running under East Road and then New North Road to Essex Road
station where the line continues along Canonbury - and off the edge
of my map!

It continues along Canonbury Road, short-cutting the last bit to reach
Highbury & Islington station. (On my 1956 map, it was Highbury station,
across the road from "Islington & Highbury station" on the NLL.) Then
under Highbury Fields to Drayton Park station.

--
Richard J.

Steve Dulieu June 5th 06 04:55 PM

tunnel routes

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
Martin Underwood wrote:
eastender wrote in message
:

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are
quite good if you want to check on a particular location. You need to
combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the
area concerned.

I've just realised that the JP maps are only accurate for *current* LU
lines. The tunnel from Drayton Park to Old Street is shown as dotted
straight lines from station to station.

The quadrant and central area bus maps on the London Buses website appears
to show the route of the line between Drayton Park and Moorgate...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/n_east.pdf
....for Drayton Park to Essex Road and...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf
....for Essex Road to Moorgate.
--
Cheers, Steve.