Old June 4th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default tunnel routes

Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

E.

Old June 4th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see a
map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South Kensington
station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite good
if you want to check on a particular location. You need to combine a
tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the area
concerned.
--
Richard J.

Old June 5th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote in message
:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see
a map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South
Kensington station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite
good if you want to check on a particular location. You need to
combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the
area concerned.

The best map I've found for showing the geographical routes of the tube
lines is an NCP London Parking Guide map that I picked up free at the Motor
Show a few years ago.

An excerpt of the section north-east of South Kensington is at
http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/SouthKen.jpg - this certainly shows one
S bend between ALexander Road and Cromwell Road, and another very tight bend
(although only a single bend) immediately east of South Kensington station.

The map shows how accurately the earlier lines followed the routes of roads
above them.

Old June 5th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

There are various maps that claim to show the geographic routes of the
tubes, as distinct from the Beck-style diagram, but none in my
experience are completely accurate. Some of them are listed at
http://owen.massey.net/tubemaps.html. For example, I have yet to see a
map that shows the route of the Piccadilly Line east of South Kensington
station with its two S-bends.

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are quite good
if you want to check on a particular location. You need to combine a
tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in the area
concerned.

It was the programme last night on tube crash that got me thinking where
the tunnels go from Drayton Pk down to Moorgate - my office is in New North
Rd and I wonder if I'm above said tunnels, but seems there is no easy way
to find out. Also, there is news that a listed museum in Spitalfields is
worried about location of Crossrail tunnels.

E.

Old June 5th 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote in message
:

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
[...]

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines running
(together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station. Just north of here,
they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line running under East Road and then
New North Road to Essex Road station where the line continues along
Canonbury - and off the edge of my map!

Old June 5th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines running
(together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station. Just north of here,
they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line running under East Road and then
New North Road to Essex Road station where the line continues along
Canonbury - and off the edge of my map!

What map is this, Martin?

E.

Old June 5th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
Richard J. wrote in message
:

eastender wrote:
[...]

I didn't realise that map was still being updated. I have a 1956
version of the same map in Bartholomew's Central London Atlas-Guide. I
notice that your version, like mine, still has "South Kensington Stas.",
dating from the time when the Piccadilly station was separate from the
District. Yes, it is quite good, though not completely accurate at
South Ken. What route does it show for the Jubilee Line between Baker
Street and Bond Street? It should show it passing under Park Square
near Regents Park station.

--
Richard J.

Old June 5th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
eastender wrote in message
:

"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
Is there a map showing routes of tube and rail tunnels?

The .pdf street maps displayed by the TfL Journey Planner are
quite good if you want to check on a particular location. You need
to combine a tube journey with a walking route or a bus journey in
the area concerned.

I've just realised that the JP maps are only accurate for *current* LU
lines. The tunnel from Drayton Park to Old Street is shown as dotted
straight lines from station to station.

It was the programme last night on tube crash that got me thinking
where the tunnels go from Drayton Pk down to Moorgate - my office
is in New North Rd and I wonder if I'm above said tunnels, but seems
there is no easy way to find out. Also, there is news that a
listed museum in Spitalfields is worried about location of
Crossrail tunnels.

Not sure why that is "news" - people in Spitalfields have been
campaigning against Crossrail for years - but anyway Crossrail's
detailed tunnel alignments have been made available to people affected
for some time.

My map shows the Northern and Moorgate to Finsbury Park lines
running (together) up Moorgate and City Road to Old St station.
Just north of here, they diverge, with the Finsbury Park line
running under East Road and then New North Road to Essex Road
station where the line continues along Canonbury - and off the edge
of my map!

It continues along Canonbury Road, short-cutting the last bit to reach
Highbury & Islington station. (On my 1956 map, it was Highbury station,
across the road from "Islington & Highbury station" on the NLL.) Then
under Highbury Fields to Drayton Park station.

--
Richard J.

LU Stock Transfer Routes Sharon & Gordon Thomson London Transport 25 July 15th 04 09:58 PM
Local/Express bus routes Sky Fly London Transport 40 April 15th 04 07:05 PM
Bus Routes. Kat London Transport 27 February 13th 04 11:01 AM
Routes K9/K10: Kingston to Epsom Phil Richards London Transport 5 September 20th 03 12:23 PM
Tunnel routes Question [email protected] London Transport 3 August 9th 03 10:09 AM