Old June 6th 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What does "No Stopping" mean?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:23:31 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message .com, at
10:39:25 on Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Keith Raeburn
remarked:
Some bus stops - probably almost all those on main roads - are "Bus
Stop Clearways" where all stopping is banned as on a Red Route, even
where the road it's on is not otherwise a Red Route. The "Bus stop
clearway" runs for the length of the bus stop,

Yes.

marked on the road with a thick yellow line

Although in some places the thick yellow line is invisible, because it's
within a Historic area. There's a much-discussed bus stop [clearway] in
the centre of Cambridge that meets this description.

and the rules reinforced by a timeplate.

Yes.

In London, should you turn left out of Euston Road into York Way at
Kings Cross Station and stop on the left at the start of the bus
bay/lane you may well receive a penalty notice. There is a camera
covering this area from somewhere behind. I stopped for just long
enough to set down two passengers and their luggage and found out the
hard way.

Reg M

Old June 7th 06, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com, Neil
Williams Mon, 5 Jun 2006 08:50:23 writes

Richard J. wrote:

Note that (re Neil's post) a Red Route is *not* the same as an Urban
Clearway, and has different signs.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Are you both agreed then that there is no picking up passengers on a Red
Route with double red lines?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old June 7th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Reg M
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:12:27 writes

In London, should you turn left out of Euston Road into York Way at
Kings Cross Station and stop on the left at the start of the bus
bay/lane you may well receive a penalty notice. There is a camera
covering this area from somewhere behind. I stopped for just long
enough to set down two passengers and their luggage and found out the
hard way.

Thanks for the warning. I was there a few weeks ago dropping off my
mother-in-law who cannot walk very far (it is the nearest point to the
platform she needs). A nice policemen ticked me off but I have not
received anything in the post. Maybe there was an other car behind me!
Old June 7th 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com, Neil
Williams Mon, 5 Jun 2006 07:26:49 writes

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.htm

Thanks for the link

I did a bit of hunting there and in the Road Marking Section I found

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs09.htm

Red Route stopping controls

Red lines are used on some roads instead of yellow lines. In London the
double and single red lines used on Red Routes indicate that stopping to
park, load/unload or to board and alight from a vehicle (except for a
licensed taxi or if you hold a Blue Badge) is prohibited.

I think that is clear enough - no stopping - full stop.

Old June 7th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Note that (re Neil's post) a Red Route is *not* the same as an
Urban Clearway, and has different signs.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Are you both agreed then that there is no picking up passengers on
a Red Route with double red lines?

I certainly agree.
--
Richard J.

Old June 7th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:09:22 +0100, Les Desser
wrote:

In article , Reg M
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:12:27 writes

In London, should you turn left out of Euston Road into York Way at
Kings Cross Station and stop on the left at the start of the bus
bay/lane you may well receive a penalty notice. There is a camera
covering this area from somewhere behind. I stopped for just long
enough to set down two passengers and their luggage and found out the
hard way.

Thanks for the warning. I was there a few weeks ago dropping off my
mother-in-law who cannot walk very far (it is the nearest point to the
platform she needs). A nice policemen ticked me off but I have not
received anything in the post. Maybe there was an other car behind me!

Didn't notice them at the time but have been told since that there are
a couple of set down bays across the road. I am sure a lot of people
get caught here; having driven through London traffic, not totally
familiar with the area, wondering where to drop your passengers off,
you turn the corner, no buses in front or behind - too good an
opportunity and so you just pull in, open the door to let your
passenger get out and bingo. Nice photograph though, couldn't quite
make out whether or not I was smiling - I certainly wasn't some time
later when the penalty notice dropped on the mat. Still, you live and
learn. Maybe this piece of information will save someone else an
unnecessary cost.
Reg M
Old June 7th 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Reg M
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 23:37:59 writes

Didn't notice them at the time but have been told since that there are
a couple of set down bays across the road.

I don't think they are set-down bays as such - just delivery bays, not
parking bays. For dropping off I presume the wardens will not get you,
though with time I presume everything will be via cameras so who knows.

It is quite a busy bit of road to cross over, unless you go back to the
lights.
Old June 9th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Les Desser" wrote in message
Can I stop to pick up a friend I spot along a double red line Red Route?

Ditto for a bus stop?

Yes. There is no law prohibiting picking people up and carrying them
(as long as they consent; it would be common assault otherwise).

If you are not strong enough to pick the friend up, and drop them, you
might be criminally liable though.

Being at a bus stop doesn't make any difference.

Richard [in SG19]