Old June 7th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woolwich Ferry question

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/

Old June 8th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Only one way to find out. I'd go and follow it myself, but i'll be away
that weekend. So, anyone else here able to spare a couple of hours down at
the Tower on a summer saturday?

tom

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Old June 8th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Only one way to find out. I'd go and follow it myself, but i'll be away
that weekend. So, anyone else here able to spare a couple of hours down at
the Tower on a summer saturday?

tom

I don't know what my plans for later in July will be yet, although I've
got an idea that I'm deputising for an absent bassoonist and will be
playing with the Beckenham Concert Band on one of those days. I might be
able to go up to town for the other day, but won't commit myself just
yet.

I have to admit that I'm curious. Do they do it to show that they can?
Are they on a promotional visit? Surely they can't drive cars on and off
it in the Upper Pool, as I don't think they have the right dockside
facilities.

Old June 8th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
I don't know what my plans for later in July will be yet, although I've
got an idea that I'm deputising for an absent bassoonist

This is, perhaps, the best excuse I've ever heard.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 9th 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/

The crew, at their own expense, borrow one of the boats and take a
party of disadvantaged/disabled kids on a river trip to Tower Bridge
and back. It's not publicised and isn't a TfL sponsored jolly (TfL just
lend them the boat). The crews have been doing it in their own time for
years.

Peter

Old June 9th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article om, Peter
Heather writes

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Helen

The crew, at their own expense, borrow one of the boats and take a
party of disadvantaged/disabled kids on a river trip to Tower Bridge
and back. It's not publicised and isn't a TfL sponsored jolly (TfL just
lend them the boat). The crews have been doing it in their own time for
years.

Peter

Thanks for that, Peter!

And "well done" to the crews.

Old June 9th 06, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article om, John
B writes
Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
I don't know what my plans for later in July will be yet, although I've
got an idea that I'm deputising for an absent bassoonist

This is, perhaps, the best excuse I've ever heard.

It's also true! I used to play regularly with the Beckenham Concert
Band, and have recently filled in when the current regulars in the
bassoon section can't do a particular concert.

http://www.beckenhamconcertband.com/ and click on "Engagements" - that's
Sunday 23rd July all booked up:-)

[It's also straying off-topic for a transport group, although I could
add that there's a railway station at Knockholt if anyone wants to know
what public transport is available to get you this concert:-) I'd
imagine that most of the audience will be local people.]

Regarding the Woolwich Ferry, I might try to get up to town on Saturday
22nd for a look-see, but I don't make promises about booking up both
days in the same weekend as I need some purely downtime owing to a
health problem.

Old June 10th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 8 Jun 2006, Peter Heather wrote:

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower
Bridge lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

The crew, at their own expense, borrow one of the boats and take a party
of disadvantaged/disabled kids on a river trip to Tower Bridge and back.
It's not publicised and isn't a TfL sponsored jolly (TfL just lend them
the boat). The crews have been doing it in their own time for years.

Mystery solved. My hat is off to the crews.

Given that i won't be able to make it myself, i thought i'd get someone
else to do my dirty work, and wrote to thewayweseeit.org and suggested the
ferry as a location for that date; they seemed very keen on the idea, so
we might even get some photos to prove that this happens!

tom

--
Osteoclasts = monsters from the DEEP -- Andrew
Old July 22nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Only one way to find out. I'd go and follow it myself, but i'll be away
that weekend. So, anyone else here able to spare a couple of hours down at
the Tower on a summer saturday?

tom

Well it wasn't that sunny a summer Saturday, but at least the
thunderstorm went away by about 4pm and the Woolwich Ferry wasn't due
until 4:30pm and ended up running 15 minutes late...

I saw "John Burns" pass through Tower Bridge, amid much blowing not only
of her (or should that be his?) horn, but with "Dixie Queen" joining in
and cycling through the three tones she can play on her horns.

"John Burns" sailed up as far as London Bridge, and when the river was
clear of other river traffic, (s)he performed pirouettes in her own
length.

I didn't see the Tower Bridge lift when "John Burns" departed as I was
too far upstream opposite HMS Belfast.

Old July 22nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Edith
Stephenson writes
[snip]
I saw "John Burns" pass through Tower Bridge, amid much blowing not only
of her (or should that be his?) horn, but with "Dixie Queen" joining in
and cycling through the three tones she can play on her horns.

"John Burns" sailed up as far as London Bridge, and when the river was
clear of other river traffic, (s)he performed pirouettes in her own
length.

[snip]

Forgot to post a link to my pictures...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hel...?.dir=/4824re2