Old June 18th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default North London Line update

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

The proposed stations we

Charing Cross, Aldwych, Ludgate Circus,

Was this going to be anywhere near Holborn Viaduct/City Thameslink? The lack
of a tube station round there has always surprised me.

It would have been very close to the original Ludgate Circus station,
south of Holborn Viaduct and on the approach lines to that station.

Old June 19th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

TheOneKEA wrote:
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

The proposed stations we

Charing Cross, Aldwych, Ludgate Circus,

Was this going to be anywhere near Holborn Viaduct/City Thameslink?
The lack of a tube station round there has always surprised me.

It would have been very close to the original Ludgate Circus station,
south of Holborn Viaduct and on the approach lines to that station.

Isn't that effectively where City Thameslink is now?

Robin
Old July 5th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Peter Masson
writes
IIRC the intention, when the Jubilee Line was being constructed in the
1970s, was indeed that it would be extended to Lewisham. It would have
remained north of the River to somewhere around Tower Bridge, then
interchange with the ELL at Surrey Docks (now Surrey Quays) before taking
over the New Cross branch of the ELL and extending to Lewisham.

The proposed stations we

Charing Cross, Aldwych, Ludgate Circus, Cannon Street, Fenchurch Street,
St.Katherine's Dock, Wapping, Rotherhithe, Surrey Docks, New Cross,
Lewisham.

It would have used the ELL tunnels to cross the Thames.

It always looked like a sensible route to me. The as constructed
Jubilee Line is not bad. But Fenchurch Street Station still has no
subway station. And, I believe, there are less river crossings than
would have been the case utilizing the original Fleet Line route.

S.