Old June 20th 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zone validity

I live in Deptford, and my office is at London Bridge, so I have a Zone
1-2
Annual ticket on my Oyster card. Currently, however, I am on a
temporary
assignment in Feltham, so I additionally have a Zone 3-6 monthly
travelcard
on the Oyster card, and make the daily journey from Deptford to Feltham
via
Waterloo East & Waterloo. This is the ticket I was advised to buy when
explained my journey needs, and I have been making my journey on this
ticket
combination since January.

Today at Waterloo East, when the ticket inspector swiped my Oyster
card, he
only registered the Zone 3-6 ticket, so called me over. I explained to
him
that I had a Zone 1-2 as well, and that often with those small machines
both
tickets didn't show, and asked him to swipe it again to see if he could
see
the ticket, and also offered to show him the paper receipt. Rather
than doing either of these things, he asked me where I was travelling
to. I said that I was travelling to Feltham. He said, "Well, you
don't have a valid ticket then! What happens between Zone 2 & 3?"

I thought this was a ludicrous question, as there is nothing "between"
Zone
2 & 3. I had a ticket which was valid for all of Zones 1 & 2, and a
ticket
which was valid from the beginning of Zone 3 to the end of Zone 6, so
all
six zones in total. He insisted that this wasn't valid for my journey,
and that I needed a single ticket which covered both Zones 2 & 3.

After the usual extensive fuss in which I was threatened with
prosecution for long term fare evasion, I left the scene and got my
train as usual, but I was just wondering, does the inspector have any
grounds for this claim at all? Theoretically, would I have to get off
the train at Putney and then get back on again for the ticket to be
valid? South West trains have never had a problem with this ticket
combination; they've had a problem reading both tickets on the Oyster
card, but once it's explained to them, they're fine with it.

I'm hoping I was right as I've fired off a very shirty email to South
Eastern trains about it!

Patrick

Old June 20th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

After the usual extensive fuss in which I was threatened with
prosecution for long term fare evasion, I left the scene and got my
train as usual, but I was just wondering, does the inspector have any
grounds for this claim at all? Theoretically, would I have to get off
the train at Putney and then get back on again for the ticket to be
valid?

No. As seems to be happening far too often, the inspector is talking
nonsense, and being unacceptably heavy-handed about doing so as well.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=218 contains a relevant
extract from the NCoC, or specifically :-
"You may use two or more tickets to travel on one train journey as long
as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following
applies:-

(a) they are zonal tickets;"

That appears to cover it nicely.

Neil

Old June 20th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

After the usual extensive fuss in which I was threatened with
prosecution for long term fare evasion, I left the scene and got my
train as usual, but I was just wondering, does the inspector have any
grounds for this claim at all? Theoretically, would I have to get off
the train at Putney and then get back on again for the ticket to be
valid?

No. As seems to be happening far too often, the inspector is talking
nonsense, and being unacceptably heavy-handed about doing so as well.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=218 contains a relevant
extract from the NCoC, or specifically :-
"You may use two or more tickets to travel on one train journey as long
as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following
applies:-

(a) they are zonal tickets;"

That appears to cover it nicely.

Yup - and I would add that you should print out this relevant section of
the conditions and carry it with you when travelling, in order to avoid
long arguments with the ticket inspectors. If they challenge you, just
show them the print out, and they'll find it very hard to argue back
without looking like idiots for not knowing their job!

This is a link to the full NCoC, which doesn't have any TOC branding and
so avoids the ticket inspector claiming that the rule only applies to
Southern (or some such nonsense):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...misc/NRCOC.pdf

You'll find the relevant passage on page 7 of the PDF, section 17. I
would highlight "one of the following applies" and part (a).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old June 20th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

R.C. Payne wrote:

If (at least one of) the tickets are zonal, the train doesn't have to
stop. In this case, both are, so no need to stop.

Both for zonal tickets. However, both are, so no issue.

I'm sure I read PTE zonal tickets are excluded, but TfL for some reason
doesn't count as that, so again OK so far as I know.

Neil

Old June 20th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Yup - and I would add that you should print out this relevant section of
the conditions and carry it with you when travelling, in order to avoid
long arguments with the ticket inspectors. If they challenge you, just
show them the print out, and they'll find it very hard to argue back
without looking like idiots for not knowing their job!

This is a link to the full NCoC, which doesn't have any TOC branding and
so avoids the ticket inspector claiming that the rule only applies to
Southern (or some such nonsense):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...misc/NRCOC.pdf

You'll find the relevant passage on page 7 of the PDF, section 17. I
would highlight "one of the following applies" and part (a).

Thanks a lot for that Dave, and thanks to all others for your answers.
I was pretty sure I was right, but it's good to have it backed up in
black & white. I rang South Eastern this morning and they seemed
stunned that it had happened, and asked me to put it in writing. I've
sent an email off, so it'll be interesting to see what response I get.
Also it'll be interesting to see if I get the same hassle tomorrow if
it's the same staff.

Patrick

Old June 20th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm hoping I was right as I've fired off a very shirty email to South
Eastern trains about it!

Patrick

***********************

Do make sure you post the reply you get to the email, I suspect it will
be of the "we're sorry you were treated like a criminal, but we're not
doing anything about it" variety.

I recently sent a very angry email to WAGN when they left us completely
stranded in Welwyn Garden City having cancelled the last train to
London. The reply could be summarised as: we accept the fact that we
left you stranded and that we should have paid for a hotel or taxi but
we're not doing anything about it.

Old June 20th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
This is a link to the full NCoC, which doesn't have any TOC branding and
so avoids the ticket inspector claiming that the rule only applies to
Southern (or some such nonsense):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...misc/NRCOC.pdf

You'll find the relevant passage on page 7 of the PDF, section 17. I
would highlight "one of the following applies" and part (a).

Thanks a lot for that Dave, and thanks to all others for your answers.
I was pretty sure I was right, but it's good to have it backed up in
black & white. I rang South Eastern this morning and they seemed
stunned that it had happened

Rightly so. This is really really basic stuff about travelcard zones,
and for an inspector at _Waterloo East_ to not get it... well, there's
a small amount of mind boggling going on. I mean, maybe if you had
something slightly interesting, such as a Woking to Z2 monthly season
and a Z1 weekly season, and were on a SWT train from Woking to London
that wasn't going to stop at Clapham Junction, and you had an SWT
inspector who was better at the country end of things than the town end
of things... MAYBE then you could excuse some confusion. But an (I
presume) SE inspector, at Waterloo East?

Also it'll be interesting to see if I get the same hassle tomorrow if
it's the same staff.

Get his name if you haven't already!

--
Larry Lard