Old June 30th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

Richard J. wrote:
*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be included. I find it
irritating when websites ask for your address with the county as a
mandatory field.

I think for somebody in the Netherlands it is always much more irritating.
Provinces are almost never mentioned in an address, and that is already the
case since the postal service started.

Old June 30th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Dik T. Winter wrote:

I think for somebody in the Netherlands it is always much more irritating.
Provinces are almost never mentioned in an address

Provinces (two-letter "car plate" codes) were always used in italian
addresses except when writing to the province capital. Now most s/w
insists on having them in this case too.

Note that the original postcodes had a 1:1 mapping with provinces. The
first two digits corresponded to the province, next 3 digits = 100 for
the capital if a small place, 1nn for a capital with post zones, 0nn for
other places if not small, 0n0 for places served by a single sorting
office.

Nowadays there are more than 100 provinces so this correspondence has
broken down.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old June 30th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote in message

use of counties in UK addresses is unusual compared with other
territories and inconsistent. E.g. So many postal towns now longer
need to be qualified by a county.

Surely, counties are not needed at all on postal addresses ?
All I usually give is

Persun's Name
xxx StreetName
postcode

Old June 30th 06, 02:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS" wrote in message

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian (the new region)?What happened to
those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?

Counties are a historical oddity. Just addressing an envelope to
...... Bristol BSx xxx is sufficient.

In fact, the conurbation of Bristol might spread across multiple
counties. I don't know.

Richard [in SG19]

Old June 30th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Richard M Willis wrote:
wrote in message

use of counties in UK addresses is unusual compared with other
territories and inconsistent. E.g. So many postal towns now longer
need to be qualified by a county.

Surely, counties are not needed at all on postal addresses ?
All I usually give is

Persun's Name
xxx StreetName
postcode

Post Towns *are* needed, though, otherwise there may be a problem if the
postcode is incorrect. Sometimes it's better to have a little
redundancy.
--
Richard J.

Old June 30th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

"thoss" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 Stephen Sprunk wrote:

In general, all punctuation and diacritical marks are dropped to make
signs and addresses as easy to read/write as possible. Therefore "St.
John's" becomes "St Johns" (notice the two changes).

Well, the first change is welcome because your original is wrong IMHO.
To quote the Concise Oxford Dictionary "Abbreviations are made chiefly
in two ways....(2)Some portion of the middle of the word is dropped out,
the first and last letter being retained...the writing of a full stop at
the end of these, though now usual, is to be deprecated....The method
adopted in the following list is to omit the otiose full stop".
--
Thoss

as in St John St. EC1

D A Stocks

Old June 30th 06, 05:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Phil Clark wrote:
On 27 Jun 2006 11:25:43 -0700, "Solario"
wrote:

Mark B wrote:

Which is right,
St James' Park (on the signs)
St James Park (in the FGW Timetable)
Pronounced St James's Park, both locally and on the
AutoAnouncer

Opinion

The first example could be wrong in context. If it is a street
name sign it should read "St James Park". If it is a park name
board then I guess St James' Park could be correct. I would
expect a station name board to follow street name sign
conventions.

Street signs in St James's seem to be consistent in the use of
the spelling St James's. Not sure about the park though,
haven't been that way recently.

This, strictly speaking is incorrect. Street signage by statutory
bodies should NOT contain punctuation.

What is your source for this idiotic rule?

It is several decades since I was in academia. However, I have
understood for many years that this is the convention in English
speaking countries.

I'm not aware of such a convention, and have certainly seen street name
signs with apostrophes in London. There was a 1952 LCC regulation on
street name signs, and the Department of Transport issued a Circular,
number 3/93, giving guidance to local authorities. Neither contains any
reference to punctuation or apostrophes.

In point of fact, BS7666 would seem to formalize this convention
from a local government perspective within the UK.

I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion. BS7666 doesn't concern
itself with actual signs. The NPLG's "BS7666 for beginners", in
discussing how address data should be presented for inclusion in
BS7666-compliant databases, says that "No abbreviations or punctuation
shall be used, except apostrophes, ampersands, hyphens and parentheses
which may be used where they form part of an official name."
--
Richard J.

And I am not sure why this is so important to you. However, a brief
google search turned up the the following policy from Leeds City
Council:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

I refer especially to the paragraph that reads "Names that could be
construed as obscene, racist or which would contravene any aspect of
the CityCouncil's Equal Opportunities policies will not be acceptable.
Similarly, names are unacceptable thatwould give rise to spelling
difficulties, would involve punctuation (not generally accepted in
BS7666)or which could be considered excessively fashionable. Such names
are likely to give rise to confusionor early demands for a change of
address."

And, from the London Borough of Haringey:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/env...umb ering.htm

In particular "No use of punctuation except for the abreviation of St,
Saint." I find this ironic because St for Saint does not need a period
because it contains the final letter.

Also, from elsewhere in the English speaking world, specifically the
Courthouse in Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado:

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/streets/rules.htm

Here I site "Street names cannot contain any punctuation or special
characters. Only alphabetical symbols A through Z, and numbers 0
through 9 and blank spaces may be used in street names."

But if it is important to you to have puntuation in your street names,
please go ahead. I really don't care. :-)

Adrian.

Old June 30th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Richard M Willis wrote:
wrote in message

use of counties in UK addresses is unusual compared with other
territories and inconsistent. E.g. So many postal towns now longer
need to be qualified by a county.

Surely, counties are not needed at all on postal addresses ?
All I usually give is

Persun's Name
xxx StreetName
postcode

It is a while since I have seen a Royal Mail Manual covering the
subject. It used to state that Counties are required followed the Post
Town with exceptions. The list of exceptions was very long.

Document
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...ediaId=9200078
states that Counties are no longer required if the Postcode is present.

Adrian

Old June 30th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Thank you. I did a Google search on "British Standard BS7666".

So proving BS7666 is not my writing )

--
Nick

Old June 30th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Richard M Willis wrote:
"Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS" wrote in message

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian (the new region)?What happened to
those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?

Counties are a historical oddity. Just addressing an envelope to
..... Bristol BSx xxx is sufficient.

In fact, the conurbation of Bristol might spread across multiple
counties. I don't know.

Richard [in SG19]

Bristol was part in Gloucestershire and part in Somerset. This may
have been unique. It was certainly unusual. For a time it was in Avon.
Now Bristol seems to be a County.

Adrian.

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 10:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 11:27 AM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 07:57 AM