Old June 22nd 06, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

"thoss" wrote in message

Yes, but if plural it should be Barons' Court.

What sort of Baron is it, if he shares a court with other
Barons ? If you, as a Baron, don't have a court of your own,
you're not a real Baron.

Richard [n SG19]

Old June 22nd 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:
"thoss" wrote in message

Yes, but if plural it should be Barons' Court.

What sort of Baron is it, if he shares a court with other
Barons ? If you, as a Baron, don't have a court of your own,
you're not a real Baron.

Maybe it's a tennis court where all the barons play each other... while
being watched by green parsons.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The roundels are wrong.

His name is John, not Johns.

Therefore, the apostrophe HAS to go between the n and the s. Any other
signage is the product of illiterate designers.

JOHN'S

MARTIN'S

In the case of plural nouns, the apostrophe always goes afterwards. So

SPANIARDS' INN
if it refers to more than one Spaniard, or else

SPANIARD'S INN

Where there is some discussion is if the given name already ends with S.

Eg JAMES'S PALACE
or JAMES' PALACE

But never JAMES PALACE

The official line is, certainly as far as the University of London is
concerned where I did my studies and I am a sessional lecturer:

If it's Greek, it's always S'

If it's not, it's up to the individual as long as he or she is
consistent throughout.

Therefore, always Achilles' heel, Eros' statue, Nikolaidis' penalty
shot, Stavros' kebab house, Bacchus' wine, Androcles' lion, but if it's
not Greek, you can say James's Square or James' Square as long as it's
consistent throughout.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, John
B writes
Richard M Willis wrote:
Why not? About five tube stations are named after pubs, and a pub called
"Everything in the garden is green and
lovely" is not too hard to imagine... or is it? Surely some pub names are
not noun phrases?

I've never seen a pub name that was not a noun phrase. If you can find
one, I'd be well interested.

Oh.. Actually, yes, there's The Case Is Altered at Fosdyke.

In London...
Ain't Nothing But Blues in Soho
The Defectors Weld at Shepherd's Bush
Dicey's The Galway Hooker at Neasden
Dream Bags Jaguar Shoes at Hoxton
Ha! Ha! in various places
Hung, Drawn & Quartered at Tower Hill
Liberty Bounds at Tower Hill
Monkey Chews at Primrose Hill
1802 at West India Quay
Rock The Boat at Waterloo
Tally Ho in Finchley

My favourite (and claimed to be the longest pub name in London) is the
"I Am the Only Running Footman" in Charles Street, Mayfair.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old June 22nd 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
JMUpton2000 wrote:

Something I wondered as I took a rare journey north of Baker Street
on the Jubilee Line the other day.

The on board scrolling displays and the tube maps say it is spelt St
John's Wood with apostrophe but the platform roundels omit it.

So which is right?

Both, neither who knows.

On Wikipedia the principle that a lot are generally happy with (at
least the last time I'm aware this came up) is to use the current
tube map spelling on the basis that station decorations take a lot
longer to change

But hasn't St John's Wood recently been refurbished? If the platform
roundels are new, were the apostrophes also omitted on the old ones?

and some platforms use multiple stations (e.g.
King's Cross St. Pancras Circle/H&C/Met) so this is the only real
consistent standard.

Not sure what point you're making there. King's Cross St Pancras is
AFAIK the consistent name for all the LU platforms there.
--
Richard J.

Old June 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

Whilst agreeing with almost everyting you have written, your final
paragraph is somewhat contentious. It would imply that Jesus was Greek!

In her amusing book, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" Lynn Truss (mistakenly,
I think) states the rule as being that one omits the "s" where the
proper noun is of "ancient" origin, whatever that may mean. But she
then goes on to disprove this rule by quoting "St. Thomas' Hospital" as
being an exception to the rule!

I am always consistent in omitting the final "s", and as a rule that
cannot be faulted.

Marc.

Old June 23rd 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
C! C! is offline

JMUpton2000 wrote:

Something I wondered as I took a rare journey north of Baker Street on the
Jubilee Line the other day.

The on board scrolling displays and the tube maps say it is spelt St John's
Wood with apostrophe but the platform roundels omit it.

OT - one end of a street "Princes gardens" other end "Prince's
gardens" on the signs

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 10:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 11:27 AM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 07:57 AM