Old July 8th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular, it
should be one of those words that is always plural, like trousers. So
one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

Old July 8th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

James Farrar wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:08:25 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10589947.html
(37 092 at London Liverpool Street, 13 Apr 1980)
Old July 8th 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

Sure it's an adjective. It modifies the word "press", telling you what
kind of a press it is.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old July 8th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular,
it should be one of those words that is always plural, like
trousers. So one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

OK then, gallows.

You bought gallows in a shop?? Is that legal?
--
Richard J.

Old July 8th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

Sure it's an adjective. It modifies the word "press", telling you what
kind of a press it is.

Such an idea gives me an ache. The adjective "head" tells you what kind
of an ache.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683667.html
(50001 (Class 114) at Sheffield Midland, Dec 1979)
Old July 8th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular,
it should be one of those words that is always plural, like
trousers. So one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

OK then, gallows.

You bought gallows in a shop?? Is that legal?

Entirely. Using it is a bit dodgy, though.
Old July 8th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular,
it should be one of those words that is always plural, like
trousers. So one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

OK then, gallows.

You bought gallows in a shop?? Is that legal?

ObPedant: a gallows....
^^
Old July 9th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

Sure it's an adjective. It modifies the word "press", telling you what
kind of a press it is.

Such an idea gives me an ache. The adjective "head" tells you what kind
of an ache.

They have headaches; not heads ache.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old July 9th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:05:39 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Richard M Willis wrote:

"James Farrar" wrote in message

Simply wrong. It's the singular form of pence in the same way that
pound is the singular form of pounds.

"penny" is the singular form of "pence", so that "pence" is inherently
plural ?! I didn't know that.

Isn't learning wonderful.

We need the word penny (which, just to extend your education, also has
the plural "pennies") so that we can communicate properly.

Thus, we can say:

I have one penny. - this is how much money I have.
I have a one penny coin. - this is the form it is in.

And

I have two pence - this is how much money I have

I have two pennies/I have two one penny coins/I have a two pence coin.
- to indicate the form it is in.

zero centimetre, one centimetre, two centimetre.

Arguable. Perhaps correct in technical documents, but to TMOTCO, it's
zero centimetres, one centimetre, two centimetres.

As this is probably posted for Those Down Under in New Zild as of a
certain day 39 years ago... Monday the tenth of July... DC Day!

When pence finally made cents (sorry).

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 10:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 11:27 AM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 07:57 AM