Old June 30th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

Dave Arquati wrote:

* depending on which maps you consult (A-Z or Bart's) and whether you
prefer the LB Hammersmith & Fulham's usage (which rarely includes an
apostrophe on anything Bush-related).

--

What happened to the publication "Nicholson's London Streetfinder"?
It was much better than the A thru Z.

Adrian.

Old June 30th 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote in various posts in this thread:

If it is a street name sign it should read "St James Park".

This [St James's on street signs] strictly speaking is
incorrect. Street signage by statutory bodies should
NOT contain punctuation.

I have understood for many years that this is the convention
in English speaking countries.

In point of fact, BS7666 would seem to formalize this convention
from a local government perspective within the UK.

And I am not sure why this is so important to you.

Only because I do not like to see apparently authoritative statements
that are incorrect left unchallenged. If Leeds, Hackney, Larimer County
or anywhere else want to lay down restrictions on the naming of *new
streets*, that is up to them. But we were discussing established names
such as St John's Wood and St James's Street. The fact is that these do
appear ( maybe not entirely consistently) on street name signs with
their apostrophes, and that BS7666 specifically endorses the use of
apostrophes in these circumstances ("apostrophes ... may be used where
they form part of an official name").

But if it is important to you to have puntuation in your street
names, please go ahead. I really don't care. :-)

Now he tells us! :-)

--
Richard J.

Old June 30th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

On 29 Jun 2006 16:29:00 -0700, "Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS"
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Richard Rundle wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Rundle wrote:

want to look at British Standard BS7666.

Thank you. I did a Google search on "British Standard BS7666".
It returned some excellent information about UK Mailing Address
structures. I noted the absence of punctuation. However, I
didn't notice anything directly relating to street name sign
posting. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper.

This was great information.

It's more to do with geographic address than postal addresses

Indeed, that was apparent. This standard looks as if it could be a
real help in real estate transactions. I am thinking in terms of
both statutory bodies and real estate agents.

Some of the elements (fields) laid out in the standard are very
similar to those required in a UK mailing address. The odd one is
were a unitary authority may be required instead of a County. Then,
again the use of counties in UK addresses is unusual compared with
other territories and inconsistent. E.g. So many postal towns now
longer need to be qualified by a county.

*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be included. I find it
irritating when websites ask for your address with the county as a
mandatory field. Many of them will not accept an address in the form
123 Xyz Road, London, [postcode]. You are forced either to enter London
twice or to insert an unnecessary district name such as Acton in place
of the town name.

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian

Neither, most cities didn't need to be further qualified with a county
name in an address. Edinburgh was and is generally in Midlothian for
those contexts which require a county.

(the new region)?

The now defunct (for several years) region.

What happened to those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?

Excepted in what way ?
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
| Charles Ellson:
| | \\ // |
+---------------------------------------------------+ | |
| // \\ |
Alba gu brath |//___\\|

Old June 30th 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 30 Jun 2006 10:42:51 -0700, wrote:

Richard M Willis wrote:
"Adrian Auer-Hudson, MIMIS" wrote in message

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian (the new region)?What happened to
those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?

Counties are a historical oddity. Just addressing an envelope to
..... Bristol BSx xxx is sufficient.

In fact, the conurbation of Bristol might spread across multiple
counties. I don't know.

Bristol was part in Gloucestershire and part in Somerset.

That applies to what is now Bristol but IIRC it was originally all on
the Gloucestershire side of the river, the south side (Bedminster and
Knowle ?) being part of the town/conurbation but not of the actual
city, being merely bits of Somerset.

This may
have been unique. It was certainly unusual. For a time it was in Avon.
Now Bristol seems to be a County.

It was previously (pre-*von) "City and County of" but IMU no local
authority devoid of subsidiary authorities is currently classified as
a "county" for local government purposes, although other bits of
officialdom or semi-officialdom might continue to do so.
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
| Charles Ellson:
| | \\ // |
+---------------------------------------------------+ | |
| // \\ |
Alba gu brath |//___\\|
Old June 30th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Richard J. wrote:

[...]

Let me endeavor to explain: I misunderstood the function of the
asterisks in "*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be
included." I read the phase as "No, UK postal addresses now need the
county to be included." In that understanding I asked the question
about exceptions because I believed that there was a long list of
Postal Towns that did NOT need qualification with a county name.

However, a second reading leads me to believe that Richard J meant "No
UK postal addresses now need the county to be included". This being
the exact opposite meaning. So Milton Keynes is not an exception
because, now, no postal towns need to be qualified by a county name.

Thank you for expalaining that the Scottish regions have gone. They
never seamed very meaningful to me. I much preferred the counties.
Are the counties back? What happened to Strathclyde? Am I right in
thinking there is still a Strathclyde PTE?

Thanks

Adrian, http://www.losangelesmetro.net/author/

Old June 30th 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Charles Ellson wrote:
On 30 Jun 2006 10:42:51 -0700, wrote:

IMU no local
authority devoid of subsidiary authorities is currently classified as
a "county" for local government purposes, although other bits of
officialdom or semi-officialdom might continue to do so.
--
_______

Isn't the Isle of Wight a County devoid of subsidiary components?

Adrian.

Old June 30th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Charles Ellson" wrote
It [Bristol] was previously (pre-*von) "City and County of" but IMU no
local
authority devoid of subsidiary authorities is currently classified as
a "county" for local government purposes, although other bits of
officialdom or semi-officialdom might continue to do so.

Clive Feather pointed out in an earlier thread that some (all?) unitary
authorities are defined as counties in the statutory instruments covering
their creation, but I think you are correct if you mean that they are not
regarded as counties by most people - except perhaps for one or two special
cases (like Bristol?) Conversely, some counties (e.g. the metropolitan
counties) seem to exist even though they have no council.

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 10:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 11:27 AM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 07:57 AM