Old July 16th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Unreliable" oyster card

I posted a few weeks ago about my pre-pay Oyster being unreliable
on the local buses. In fact I've barely used it since so I haven't
pursued a replacement.

Today I fronted up to a U3 to bring my shopping back from
Uxbridge. After a good fraction of a second, the reader beeped and the
LED changed from orange to green. Just as well, because at the stop
outside RAF Uxbridge an inspector got on... He had a little hand-held
scanner (I'd mistaken it for a mobile phone at first glance) which didn't
want to scan my card, until he rotated it 180-degrees and then he finally
grunted an OK.

I've been wondering if advances in the usage of wireless
technology since Oyster was originally specified -- especially mobile,
bluetooth, and WiFi -- have led to higher interference rates than expected.
PC, any comment?

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old July 16th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:14:24 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Ivan D. Reid"
wrote:

I posted a few weeks ago about my pre-pay Oyster being unreliable
on the local buses. In fact I've barely used it since so I haven't
pursued a replacement.

Today I fronted up to a U3 to bring my shopping back from
Uxbridge. After a good fraction of a second, the reader beeped and the
LED changed from orange to green. Just as well, because at the stop
outside RAF Uxbridge an inspector got on... He had a little hand-held
scanner (I'd mistaken it for a mobile phone at first glance) which didn't
want to scan my card, until he rotated it 180-degrees and then he finally
grunted an OK.

I've been wondering if advances in the usage of wireless
technology since Oyster was originally specified -- especially mobile,
bluetooth, and WiFi -- have led to higher interference rates than expected.
PC, any comment?

No idea to be honest Ivan. The performance of card readers (both bus
and on ticket gates) seems to vary enormously. There are times when my
card shows as not being read while at others it beeps straight away.

My card is in a ticket wallet stuffed with other things (not wireless in
nature) and those extra millimetres seem to make a difference if a
reader is not functioning correctly. If there is a problem I open out
the wallet and place the card itself flat on the reader - that should
ensure an accurate read.

I do wonder just how frequently faults are reported or preventative
maintenance is carried out on the on bus equipment in particular.

I have not had to replace my card but I know others on group have had
differing experiences.
--
Paul C

Old July 16th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" typed

I posted a few weeks ago about my pre-pay Oyster being unreliable
on the local buses. In fact I've barely used it since so I haven't
pursued a replacement.

Today I fronted up to a U3 to bring my shopping back from
Uxbridge. After a good fraction of a second, the reader beeped and the
LED changed from orange to green. Just as well, because at the stop
outside RAF Uxbridge an inspector got on... He had a little hand-held
scanner (I'd mistaken it for a mobile phone at first glance) which didn't
want to scan my card, until he rotated it 180-degrees and then he finally
grunted an OK.

I've been wondering if advances in the usage of wireless
technology since Oyster was originally specified -- especially mobile,
bluetooth, and WiFi -- have led to higher interference rates than expected.
PC, any comment?

I had a mobile phone before I had an Oyster.

My Oyster became unreliable after a while and was replaced.

You are lucky in that I've never seen Uxbridge station ticket office
unstaffed. I was traipsing to Burnt Oak (usually unstaffed) and Edgware
(nobody in ticket office on a weekday at 3pm) to try and sort my Oyster
replacement.

Do not expect Oyster replacement to be quick and simple; just be
pleasantly surprised if it is...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old July 17th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:16:56 +0100,
Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote in :

You are lucky in that I've never seen Uxbridge station ticket office
unstaffed. I was traipsing to Burnt Oak (usually unstaffed) and Edgware
(nobody in ticket office on a weekday at 3pm) to try and sort my Oyster
replacement.

It's often unstaffed, especially at weekends and late at night.
Several times I've seen signs to board the train and pay at the
destination (the gates are left open and the ticket machines out of use).