London Banter

-   -   Waterloo platforms (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4338-waterloo-platforms.html)

[email protected] July 30th 06 05:37 PM

Waterloo platforms

John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

....but suffers from the slight downside of not actually responding.

--
gordon

Jack Taylor July 30th 06 05:48 PM

Waterloo platforms

wrote:
John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

Peter Smyth July 30th 06 06:12 PM

Waterloo platforms

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it will work.

Peter Smyth

MIG July 30th 06 06:31 PM

Waterloo platforms

John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it will work.

Peter Smyth

OK; got it now. But how do I tell it that I don't care where I go as
long as I start from platform 15 at Waterloo?

(I am getting ideas about a new series of one-off TV plays involving
journeys from platform 15, or perhaps a documentary about despatchers
and barrier staff, on the lines of Airport. "Platform 15" hmm.)

Jack Taylor July 30th 06 06:35 PM

Waterloo platforms

Peter Smyth wrote:

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it will
work.

Unless the application is ported to a server with a different IP address!
The point of a URL is that it does any redirection for you (provided that
it's been set up and is maintained correctly!).

Peter Smyth July 30th 06 07:13 PM

Waterloo platforms

Peter Smyth wrote:

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it will
work.

Unless the application is ported to a server with a different IP address!
The point of a URL is that it does any redirection for you (provided that
it's been set up and is maintained correctly!).

It doesn't seem to have another address though. If you go the the main
Traveline page at http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm and click on the
North East region, that is the address it takes you to.

Peter Smyth

[email protected] July 30th 06 08:32 PM

Waterloo platforms

John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it will work.

Also it gives the booked departure rather than (understandably) the
actual platform which may be or (often) may not be the actual platform
on any given day.
--
gordon

[email protected] July 30th 06 08:41 PM

Waterloo platforms

John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it will work.

Also it gives the "booked" departure platform i.e. the notionally
correct platform all other things being equal. However as this is the
UK the need for consistency of platforming even when things are running
fairly well appears to be subordinate to a host of other
considerations. What these are I've no idea.
--
gordon

Colin Rosenstiel July 30th 06 11:47 PM

Waterloo platforms

John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually

responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it
will work.

What's traveline north east and cumbria got to do with Waterloo?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Peter Smyth July 31st 06 12:14 AM

Waterloo platforms

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

John Salmon wrote:

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe

...but suffers from the slight downside of not actually

responding.

That's the danger of quoting IP numbers instead of URLs.

The IP numbers are not the problem, you need to use
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?newQuery=newQuery and then it
will work.

What's traveline north east and cumbria got to do with Waterloo?

Despite the name, all of the regional traveline sites have rail data for the
whole country. However the North East site is the only one to show the
booked platform numbers as for some reason it was decided that it would be a
sensible use of public money to have a completely different interface to the
journey planner for each region.

Peter Smyth