Old August 7th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Waterloo & City line crane operation this weekend...

Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Whilst I'm certain this crane operation is related to 'The Drain' I
don't know if it's in aid of the return of the refurbished W&C stock or
has some other purpose. It will be for something big though, as smaller
crane jobs can be done by the permanently installed crane that a
feature of the Spur Road service shaft features installation on, which
I also saw in operation lifting what seemed to be ballast down into the
depths.

Ouch, what I mangled mess I managed to weave there. Should've read
something like:

"...as smaller crane jobs can be done by the permanently installed
crane that is a feature of the Spur Road service shaft..."

Old August 7th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 00:17:30 +0100, "JMUpton2000" securitynovels @
freeuk.com wrote:

I went down there on Saturday and took some pictures of the first two cars
to be lowered down the hole

What time was this? I got there around 3, hung around for about an
hour with nothing going on (took the opportunity to check out the Ian
Allen shop though :-), then went off to do a bit of shopping and got
back a bit after 5 to see a few bits of yellow-painted framework being
lifted out of the hole and onto the back of some regular flatbed HGVs.
Old August 7th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

freeuk.com wrote:

What time was this? I got there around 3, hung around for about an
hour with nothing going on (took the opportunity to check out the Ian
Allen shop though :-), then went off to do a bit of shopping and got
back a bit after 5 to see a few bits of yellow-painted framework being
lifted out of the hole and onto the back of some regular flatbed HGVs.

The first car was lifted and lowered in about 11.30 with the next one
following about fifteen to twenty minutes later. As there were only four (I
left after the second one was in) I would guess it was all over by one
o'clock.

As there are 16 scheduled to go in next Saturday/Sunday I would hazard a
guess that there will be much more to see!

Regards
John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections:
South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/

Bus Pics:
http://gallery42239.fotopic.net/

My Online Novels:
http://www.securitynovels.com

Old August 7th 06, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

JMUpton2000 wrote:

The first car was lifted and lowered in about 11.30 with the next one
following about fifteen to twenty minutes later. As there were only
four (I left after the second one was in) I would guess it was all
over by one o'clock.

As there are 16 scheduled to go in next Saturday/Sunday I would
hazard a guess that there will be much more to see!

You stayed in bed too long!

When I arrived at about 9:30, two cars had already been lifted in and
they were having an extended tea-break. I watched while the third was
lifted in and the next one was 'wired up'. There were still another 4
cars there on low-loaders, awaiting their turn.

There are only 12 left for next weekend.

--
Bob

Old August 8th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 23:52:26 +0100, "JMUpton2000" securitynovels @
freeuk.com wrote:

The first car was lifted and lowered in about 11.30 with the next one
following about fifteen to twenty minutes later. As there were only four (I
left after the second one was in) I would guess it was all over by one
o'clock.

Thanks, that'd explain the relative lack of activity on Saturday
afternoon, and the reopening of the roads on Sunday.