Old August 4th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Waterloo & City line crane operation this weekend...

[posted to uk.transport.london & uk.railway]

Passing by a couple of nights ago I noticed street signs warning that
Baylis Road [1], to the south of Waterloo station, would be closed from
Friday 4th August (i.e. today) until Monday 7th August for a "crane
operation". Unfortunately I didn't catch the timing so I don't know
whether this has begun already or (more likely IMO) will start tonight
at some time. Likewise I'd presume that the plans is to finish on the
early hours of monday morning.

Whilst I'm certain this crane operation is related to 'The Drain' I
don't know if it's in aid of the return of the refurbished W&C stock or
has some other purpose. It will be for something big though, as smaller
crane jobs can be done by the permanently installed crane that a
feature of the Spur Road service shaft features installation on, which
I also saw in operation lifting what seemed to be ballast down into the
depths.

Anyway if anyone can confirm what's hapenning then those with an
interest might like to take a look at it this weekend. Incidentally in
April I was passing by Waterloo in the wee hours with some friends when
we came across the unreal sight of several W&C line carriages on low
loaders lining the side of the street - it has slipped my mind that the
stock was being removed that weekend. They were off to Doncaster early
in the morning but it seems someone had sensibly decided this might
best be done in the daylight. I took some terrible pictures on my
mobile that I won't share with you, but I can say the deserted street
and crisp night air helped make it a most perculiar sight.

[1] http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=531250&y=179782

Old August 4th 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

August MR has information. The W&C stock is due to be returned in two
batches, this and next weekend. Using the fixed cranes, the refurbishment
has involved 6000 lifts of spoil out, 2000 lifts of rail out, 800 lifts of
rail in and 5000 lifts of other material in - including 1630 tonnes of
concrete in 25 kg bags.

Peter

Old August 4th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Peter Masson wrote:

August MR has information. The W&C stock is due to be returned in two
batches, this and next weekend. Using the fixed cranes, the
refurbishment has involved 6000 lifts of spoil out

Spoil? What are they enlarging?

Old August 4th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 12:12:22 on Fri,
4 Aug 2006, John Rowland
remarked:
August MR has information. The W&C stock is due to be returned in two
batches, this and next weekend. Using the fixed cranes, the
refurbishment has involved 6000 lifts of spoil out

Spoil? What are they enlarging?

They could be lifting out old concrete and ballast.
Old August 4th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Peter Masson wrote:

August MR has information. The W&C stock is due to be returned in two
batches, this and next weekend. Using the fixed cranes, the
refurbishment has involved 6000 lifts of spoil out

Spoil? What are they enlarging?

What was the name of the eastern terminus ? 'Bank', wasn't it? Shades of a
nineteen-fifties Ealing film come to mind...
Brian

Old August 4th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message
news

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
[posted to uk.transport.london & uk.railway]

August MR has information. The W&C stock is due to be returned in two
batches, this and next weekend. Using the fixed cranes, the refurbishment
has involved 6000 lifts of spoil out, 2000 lifts of rail out, 800 lifts of
rail in and 5000 lifts of other material in - including 1630 tonnes of
concrete in 25 kg bags.

Thanks to all for the info, I will make the trip to see these trains being
replaced after having seen some of them being removed.
Who knows, I might even bump into some people from this ng...? UKR meet,
anyone?

Nick

Old August 4th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"BH Williams" wrote in message

What was the name of the eastern terminus ? 'Bank', wasn't it? Shades of a
nineteen-fifties Ealing film come to mind...

Perhaps a post Ealing film like Two Way Stretch or The Wrong Arm Of The Law.

Both had railway scenes: in the latter, a crossing keeper is urged to open
his gates to road traffic, but can only give the classic utterance "I
can't - they've nicked me wheel".

The former was watched by Messrs Clement and La Frenais before they started
writing Porridge, and features a prison officer much nastier than Mr Mackay,
Sidney "sour" Crout: "Silence when you're talking to me!"

--
Tim

Selective killfiling - because life's too short

Old August 5th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Tim Fenton
writes

"BH Williams" wrote in message

What was the name of the eastern terminus ? 'Bank', wasn't it? Shades of a
nineteen-fifties Ealing film come to mind...

Perhaps a post Ealing film like Two Way Stretch or The Wrong Arm Of The Law.

Lavender Hill Mob given the Bank reference, me thinks.

Bob
Old August 6th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Hello

I went down there on Saturday and took some pictures of the first two cars
to be lowered down the hole which can be found he

http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/c1043033.html

The collection is a bit higgeldy piggledy at the moment until I can sort
them out.

It was two car units 5 and 6 that were lowered in on Saturday in a very
impressive operation. I understand the rest of them are due in next
Saturday and Sunday (13th and 13th) so I may go down that way again for
another look.

For the record, my collection of pics from when the cars were lifted out of
the hole on the 1st of April can be found he

http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/c909597.html

Regards
John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections:
South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:
http://gallery39764.fotopic.net/

Bus Pics:
http://gallery42239.fotopic.net/

My Online Novels:
http://www.securitynovels.com

Old August 7th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

JMUpton2000 wrote:
Hello

I went down there on Saturday and took some pictures of the first two cars

When were they doing it - went to have a look Yesterday and just saw a
sign saying Crane operation 2200-0500 Road Closed