Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Waterloo & City line crane operation this weekend...

[posted to uk.transport.london & uk.railway]

Passing by a couple of nights ago I noticed street signs warning that
Baylis Road [1], to the south of Waterloo station, would be closed from
Friday 4th August (i.e. today) until Monday 7th August for a "crane
operation". Unfortunately I didn't catch the timing so I don't know
whether this has begun already or (more likely IMO) will start tonight
at some time. Likewise I'd presume that the plans is to finish on the
early hours of monday morning.

Whilst I'm certain this crane operation is related to 'The Drain' I
don't know if it's in aid of the return of the refurbished W&C stock or
has some other purpose. It will be for something big though, as smaller
crane jobs can be done by the permanently installed crane that a
feature of the Spur Road service shaft features installation on, which
I also saw in operation lifting what seemed to be ballast down into the
depths.

Anyway if anyone can confirm what's hapenning then those with an
interest might like to take a look at it this weekend. Incidentally in
April I was passing by Waterloo in the wee hours with some friends when
we came across the unreal sight of several W&C line carriages on low
loaders lining the side of the street - it has slipped my mind that the
stock was being removed that weekend. They were off to Doncaster early
in the morning but it seems someone had sensibly decided this might
best be done in the daylight. I took some terrible pictures on my
mobile that I won't share with you, but I can say the deserted street
and crisp night air helped make it a most perculiar sight.

[1] http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=531250&y=179782