Old September 6th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rush hour virgin

Hi all

I do not use public transport that much and I have never used it in the rush
hour. To be honest I am petrified, but short of paying out a couple of
hundred quid on cabs I am left with no choice.

Next month I have to travel from Hackbridge to Farringdon for 2 days for a
conference. I have to be there before 9am. I have looked at the trains and
it appears I can get a Capital Connect train but they do not seem to run
direct at that time of day. It seems that I will have to change at Tulse
Hill in a 5 minute time window. Can anyone help with the following:

What is Tulse Hill like? How many platforms? Do you know what platform I
will have to change to? Can I do it in 5 minutes? (Bearing in mind I will be
petrified if it is crowded)

Can I buy my ticket in advance? Can I buy it from another station?
(Wallington is nearer) Is it a one day travelcard that I will need for
about 6 pounds?

It seems the return trains go direct. Why is it the morning rush hour trains
don't? I think I could go direct from East Croydon but I can park more
cheaply at Hackbridge.

Sorry for being a thicko and thanks in advance for any help.:-)

Penn x

Old September 6th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:51:34 GMT, "Penny Farthing"
wrote:

Hi all

I do not use public transport that much and I have never used it in the rush
hour. To be honest I am petrified, but short of paying out a couple of
hundred quid on cabs I am left with no choice.

Next month I have to travel from Hackbridge to Farringdon for 2 days for a
conference. I have to be there before 9am. I have looked at the trains and
it appears I can get a Capital Connect train but they do not seem to run
direct at that time of day. It seems that I will have to change at Tulse
Hill in a 5 minute time window. Can anyone help with the following:

What is Tulse Hill like? How many platforms? Do you know what platform I
will have to change to? Can I do it in 5 minutes? (Bearing in mind I will be
petrified if it is crowded)

Not 100% sure but I think Tulse Hill has an island platform (a track on
each side) for northbound trains and one for southbound ones so you will
not have to cross between platforms via bridges or subways. You'll
either stay on the same platform or just cross to the opposite side of
the island.

I think you need to accept that travel at that time of day will be busy
and the old Thameslink route (now FCC) is one of the very busiest lines.
If that is going to freak you out then you may wish to travel earlier
and simply find a coffee bar or cafe to chill out in at Farringdon -
there are loads in the area.

Can I buy my ticket in advance? Can I buy it from another station?
(Wallington is nearer) Is it a one day travelcard that I will need for
about 6 pounds?

Yes you can buy in advance but make sure you say very clearly what day
you wish to travel or else the clerk will issue it for the day on which
you purchase it.

Yes you can buy from another station but you will need to make clear the
start and end points. Try to go to the station at a quieter time as this
is a slightly more complex transaction than normal.

A check on the NR website shows the fare as £5.30 Standard Day Return.
This only covers you between your start and end point for one return
trip. As you are travelling in the peak a Peak One Day Travelcard would
be £12.40 - only buy this is you are going to make a lot of other bus
and tube rides that day.

It seems the return trains go direct. Why is it the morning rush hour trains
don't? I think I could go direct from East Croydon but I can park more
cheaply at Hackbridge.

Return trains do run direct. There are capacity problems on the south
london rail network and it is not always possible to provide enough
slots for trains - the direct thameslink service from the Sutton loop is
one of those services that has a variable service pattern (different
mornings and evenings).

Sorry for being a thicko and thanks in advance for any help.:-)

It's perfectly understandable that people are reluctant about travelling
in the peak as it is busy and crowded. I travel early to try to avoid
the worst of the crush both ways but not everyone has that option.

Simply give yourself lots of time on the day, don't get flustered and
try your best to "go with the flow".

As a contingency in case things go wrong take an A-Z and try to get a
bus map (from West Croydon bus station's info desk) - these will then
give you the option to see where bus routes go, where the tube and train
stations are. I find it is always best to keep moving if you faced with
disruption - it is the "getting stuck" bit of delays that causes the
frustration.

HTH - if I've got Tulse Hill wrong I'm sure someone will pop up and
correct me.
--
Paul C

Old September 6th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:51:34 GMT, Penny Farthing wrote:

Next month I have to travel from Hackbridge to Farringdon for 2 days for a
conference. I have to be there before 9am. I have looked at the trains and
it appears I can get a Capital Connect train but they do not seem to run
direct at that time of day. It seems that I will have to change at Tulse
Hill in a 5 minute time window.

In the morning peak, First Capital Connect (FCC) services on the
Wimbledon/Sutton loop only run clockwise round the loop. Anticlockwise
services are provided by Southern to/from London Bridge.

The rest of the time, FCC run round in both directions.

For your morning journey, you could therefore still have a journey
with no changes by taking a clockwise FCC train and riding it round
the greater part of the loop, via Sutton and Wimbledon. This would
take longer (which is why the planner didn't suggest it), but on the
plus side I expect it would virtually guarantee you a seat. (Boarding
at Tulse Hill, you would likely have to stand in a crowded train until
at least Blackfriars.)
Old September 7th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
[...]

The following rail map may help the original poster understand how the
Wimbledon & Sutton loop is laid out:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...onnections.pdf

Hackbridge station is in square N5. The blue lines are First Capital
Connect trains which run direct to Farringdon (but only clockwise via
Sutton then Wimbledon in the mornings as said), and the green lines are
the Southern trains which require a change to get to Farringdon (and
white-on-green means peak hours only).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old September 7th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
asdf wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for your help. I really like the idea of going anti-clockwise
round the loop to avoid a change. However I cannot get any of the journey
planners to take me that way even if I include a 'via' (St Helier for
instance) so I can't work out what time train I need to get. (I need to be
in Farringdon before 8:30)

I am so dreading this journey but you guys are helping me loads so thanks a
million for your time.

To help me understand more can you confirm that the green/white line around
the loop is an anti-clockwise line

Penn xxx

Old September 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
[...]

There are trains at 0714 and 0744 from Hackbridge that run via Sutton
and Wimbledon and which arrive at Farringdon at 0820 and 0850
respectively.

Look at this first link and find the trains from Hackbridge to Sutton.
At the top of the column you will see a little swoopy arrow that shows
it is a loop service.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...rom10Jun06.pdf

Then look on this link and find the 0720 and 0750 departures from Sutton
and read down the column to Farringdon to find the above arrival times.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...rom10Jun06.pdf

HTH

--
Paul C

Old September 7th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

If that is going to freak you out then you may wish to travel earlier

Paul,

Did I read something in a TFL magazine about TFL employing some people
who can be booked to help people with
claustrophbia/agoraphobia/tubeophobia on their journey?

I seem to recall that there was a story of an employee who helped
someone with a similar fear to get from A to B.

I guess if this journey is Thameslink, it might not apply anyway though.
Old September 7th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
[...]

Yes, those are the morning-peak-only anti-clockwise services run by
Southern to London Bridge.

As Paul C says, there are departures at 0714 and 0744 via Wimbledon. The
National Rail site doesn't work for these journeys because I think it
has some trouble with circular services. I think the trains are marked
with the destination "Wimbledon via Sutton" until they reach Sutton, at
which point they become services to "St Albans via Wimbledon".

TfL's timetable site at http://tinyurl.com/m626n will also show these
"Wimbledon" departures - if you enter Hackbridge into the first box and
select the appropriate times, and click Search there and on the
following page, you'll get a list of all departures from Hackbridge; the
anticlockwise trains are First Capital Connect "Wimbledon" services at
0642, 0714, 0744, 0810 etc. Don't worry - they don't actually terminate
at Wimbledon, they're just marked that way because the clockwise
services are faster.

If you don't mind reading the timetable, the links that Paul gave are
the most comprehensive. 0642 from Hackbridge arrives at Farringdon at
0744, the 0714 at 0820 and the 0744 at 0850.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old September 7th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:32:48 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

If that is going to freak you out then you may wish to travel earlier

Paul,

Did I read something in a TFL magazine about TFL employing some people
who can be booked to help people with
claustrophbia/agoraphobia/tubeophobia on their journey?

Can't say I have heard of a specific person being employed to help.

One of my team has had some difficulty with travelling in a deep tube
train due to claustrophobia but they're much happier about it now. It's
certainly a genuine problem as I've seen people panic if they've been a
train that has got stuck between stations due to a delay elsewhere on
the line.

I seem to recall that there was a story of an employee who helped
someone with a similar fear to get from A to B.

I would not be surprised if there have been one off examples of staff
going the extra mile to help people out.

I guess if this journey is Thameslink, it might not apply anyway though.

It could be a bit of PR coup for FCC if they were to offer to help if
our poster emailed them and explained their concerns though!
--
Paul C

Old September 7th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 21:32:25 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

To help me understand more can you confirm that the green/white line around
the loop is an anti-clockwise line

Yes, those are the morning-peak-only anti-clockwise services run by
Southern to London Bridge.

IIRC there are some clockwise ones in the evening peak. I can't
remember if there are also any clockwise ones in the morning or
anticlockwise ones in the evening, but they should all be listed in
the FCC .pdf timetables linked to earlier.