Old September 7th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rush hour virgin

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:32:48 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

If that is going to freak you out then you may wish to travel earlier

Paul,

Did I read something in a TFL magazine about TFL employing some people
who can be booked to help people with
claustrophbia/agoraphobia/tubeophobia on their journey?

Can't say I have heard of a specific person being employed to help.

I'm fairly certain there was something in the last issue or the one
before of The Loop (or whatever it's called now), but mine has long gone
to the recycle bin.

One of my team has had some difficulty with travelling in a deep tube
train due to claustrophobia but they're much happier about it now.

One could argue it's not the best career choice they could have made :-)

It's
certainly a genuine problem as I've seen people panic if they've been a
train that has got stuck between stations due to a delay elsewhere on
the line.

Sure - my ex-gf had epilepsy and several seizures on the tube. She
didn't have an issue with using the tube but if she had, I would have
understood it.

I seem to recall that there was a story of an employee who helped
someone with a similar fear to get from A to B.

I would not be surprised if there have been one off examples of staff
going the extra mile to help people out.

As I said, I seem to recall it was something more organised than this,
though I accept I could be imagining it!

I guess if this journey is Thameslink, it might not apply anyway though.

It could be a bit of PR coup for FCC if they were to offer to help if
our poster emailed them and explained their concerns though!

Gotta be worth a try!

Old September 8th 06, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Penny Farthing wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
asdf wrote:
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:51:34 GMT, Penny Farthing wrote:

Next month I have to travel from Hackbridge to Farringdon for 2 days
for a conference. I have to be there before 9am. I have looked at
the trains and it appears I can get a Capital Connect train but they
do not seem to run direct at that time of day. It seems that I will
have to change at Tulse Hill in a 5 minute time window.
In the morning peak, First Capital Connect (FCC) services on the
Wimbledon/Sutton loop only run clockwise round the loop. Anticlockwise
services are provided by Southern to/from London Bridge.

The rest of the time, FCC run round in both directions.

For your morning journey, you could therefore still have a journey
with no changes by taking a clockwise FCC train and riding it round
the greater part of the loop, via Sutton and Wimbledon. This would
take longer (which is why the planner didn't suggest it), but on the
plus side I expect it would virtually guarantee you a seat. (Boarding
at Tulse Hill, you would likely have to stand in a crowded train until
at least Blackfriars.)
The following rail map may help the original poster understand how the
Wimbledon & Sutton loop is laid out:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...onnections.pdf

Hackbridge station is in square N5. The blue lines are First Capital
Connect trains which run direct to Farringdon (but only clockwise via
Sutton then Wimbledon in the mornings as said), and the green lines are
the Southern trains which require a change to get to Farringdon (and
white-on-green means peak hours only).

Thank you all for your help. I really like the idea of going
anti-clockwise round the loop to avoid a change. However I cannot get
any of the journey planners to take me that way even if I include a 'via'
(St Helier for instance) so I can't work out what time train I need to
get. (I need to be in Farringdon before 8:30)

I am so dreading this journey but you guys are helping me loads so thanks
a million for your time.

To help me understand more can you confirm that the green/white line
around the loop is an anti-clockwise line

Yes, those are the morning-peak-only anti-clockwise services run by
Southern to London Bridge.

As Paul C says, there are departures at 0714 and 0744 via Wimbledon. The
National Rail site doesn't work for these journeys because I think it has
some trouble with circular services. I think the trains are marked with
the destination "Wimbledon via Sutton" until they reach Sutton, at which
point they become services to "St Albans via Wimbledon".

TfL's timetable site at http://tinyurl.com/m626n will also show these
"Wimbledon" departures - if you enter Hackbridge into the first box and
select the appropriate times, and click Search there and on the following
page, you'll get a list of all departures from Hackbridge; the
anticlockwise trains are First Capital Connect "Wimbledon" services at
0642, 0714, 0744, 0810 etc. Don't worry - they don't actually terminate at
Wimbledon, they're just marked that way because the clockwise services are
faster.

If you don't mind reading the timetable, the links that Paul gave are the
most comprehensive. 0642 from Hackbridge arrives at Farringdon at 0744,
the 0714 at 0820 and the 0744 at 0850.

You guys have been just brilliant I wish there was some way I could repay
you. (If you need to know anything about uk driving tests, driving rules and
laws, driver improvement courses, ADI's etc. I'm your gal!) I feel so much
better about it although still quite anxious.

The 7:14 will be perfect but I might go for the 6:42 in case the 7:14 is
cancelled - does that happen often?

I have written to FCC as suggested and await a response from them. I Don't
know what more they could do except lay on an anti-clockwise direct train
just for me! (Breakfast would be good too!!) Or maybe send someone to
accompany me. But I can't really see them doing any of that!! lol

I'll let you know if I hear from FCC and I'll let you know how my journey
goes. (It's the first week of October)

Penn xxxxxxxx

Old September 10th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

news

--
Paul C

You will laugh at this. I have had a reply from FCC Firstly I will paste
below my e-mail and then their reply:

Dear Sirs
I am an inexperienced user of public transport and have never used it in the
rush hour. Early in October I have to make a journey from Hackbridge to
Farringdon and be in Farringdon by 8:30am. I have to do this on 2
consecutive days and return about 6pm on both days.
I have a great feeling of fear and trepidation about this and even
considered spending over 200 pounds on cabs to avoid this.
I searched some on-line travel planners and realised that in the mornings I
would (for some reason) have to change at Tulse Hill. (A lot more fear)
I posted my fears to an on-line newsgroup called uk.transport.london and
have received some amazing help and support.
They have suggested that I get a clockwise train from Hackbridge which will
take quite a bit longer but will be direct and they said I should almost
certainly get a seat. They even sent me timetables and maps.
They also said I should e-mail you to see if you can offer an further help.
You can read the thread which is entitled 'Rush hour virgin' at
uk.transport.london You should find it here
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....n?lnk=lr&hl=en ( I am
known as Penny Farthing on newsgroups)
I look forward to hearing from you soon

Their helpful reply:

Customer Relations
First Capital Connect
FREEPOST ADM3973
London
SW1A 1YP
Tel: 0845 0264700
Fax: 0845 6769904
Website: www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk
Ref: 1384022

Dear xxxxxxx
Thank you for your email dated 8 September 2006.
Unfortunately Customer Relations do not hold any information on train times
or fares, but National Rail Enquiries should be able to help with your
query. Their contact details a
Telephone: 08457 484950
Internet: www.nationalrail.co.uk
Thank you once again for contacting First Capital Connect.
Yours sincerely
Adam Xxxxx
Customer Relations Advisor

No extra mile there then....lol

Penn x

Old September 10th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:11:42 GMT, "Penny Farthing"
wrote:

[...]

A typically "numbskull" response from someone who couldn't spot a PR
opportunity sitting behind an unusual request.

I've got a good mind to send that reply to the Operations and Safety
Director at FCC - I know him from his days at LUL!

I imagine he would not be very amused.
--
Paul C

Old September 12th 06, 01:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

However, it's more in line with the behaviour of the company since April
1st, I'm afraid. I think I must have met said FCC Operations and Safety
Director too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel