Old September 9th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Ian is offline

Default ANNOUNCE: PlanAJourney - The BEST UK Journey Planner

"Iain Wilkie Logan" wrote in message ...

Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

Tried it for journeys into Portsmouth. It didn't recognise the name of my
hamlet or my nearest village (population about 5,000). It did recognise my
local town and the first route suggested would take nearly 5 hours as it
went up to London and then back to Portsmouth by train. I could walk it
quicker. By car it normally takes about 25 minutes in the rush hour to
travel the 12 miles.

Ian

Old September 9th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:
The Original and Best UK Journey Planner

Hmmm...

Braunton to Barnstaple offers me a single journey at 0805.

Turns out it's our daily National Express coach, and what a bargain it
is, at a measly GPB 6.80 for a single 20-minute, six mile journey.

Sounds so much more appealing than the three buses an hour you could
catch instead (at an exorbitant GBP 2.40 day return I might add, and
with no optional insurance available to boot), doesn't it?

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: Saffire - The Uppity Blues Women - Middle Aged Blues Boogie (from the album 'The Uppity Blues Women')
Old September 9th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 13:38:36 +0100, Iain Wilkie Logan
wrote:

The Original and Best UK Journey Planner

Not until it recognises postcodes.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 9th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Welcome to the world of those who would love to see you fail, it covers
their own short comings - personally I find your product superb.

--
DAS,

All opinions are mine and mine alone
http://merseyjcn.fotopic.net/
http://www.wirralfinescale.com/
Quality modelling and no politics

Old September 10th 06, 07:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Ian is offline

"David Skipsey" wrote in message
Welcome to the world of those who would love to see you fail, it covers
their own short comings - personally I find your product superb.

What do you expect when the OP ends by claiming to have 'The Original and
Best UK Journey Planner'. As I and others have shown, it doesn't work for
the journeys we make. Transport Direct's offering seems to work much better
for PT, although the timings for car journeys are usually way out.

Ian

Old September 10th 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Ian wrote:
"David Skipsey" wrote in message
Welcome to the world of those who would love to see you fail, it covers
their own short comings - personally I find your product superb.

What do you expect when the OP ends by claiming to have 'The Original and
Best UK Journey Planner'. As I and others have shown, it doesn't work for
the journeys we make. Transport Direct's offering seems to work much better
for PT, although the timings for car journeys are usually way out.

Ian

Nope, but it got him a load of hits to his site as well as some
constructive help.

Mark
Old September 10th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"David Skipsey" wrote:

[Dave, your email address appears to be wrong - should it be
"ntlworld" with two 'L's?]

Welcome to the world of those who would love to see you fail, it covers
their own short comings - personally I find your product superb.

Far from it. I would love to see a fully functional multi-modal
journey planner developed and available online.

But when someone pops up out of nowhere claiming that they have
created such a thing, and it is nowhere near, you can't be surprised
that people are somewhat critical of it.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
Old September 10th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Stevie D wrote:

But when someone pops up out of nowhere claiming that they have
created such a thing, and it is nowhere near, you can't be surprised
that people are somewhat critical of it.

Hardly popping up out of nowhere - Iain's been posting to u.r on and off
for the past 8 years at least, and developing journey planning software
for even longer than that.

Then again, the earliest post of his that Google can find says

Please don't be disheartened at what may seem rather a harsh criticism, but
it's probably what a lot of your visitors haven't bothered to tell you.
First impressions count for a lot on the web, and that's the first problem
you must address.

Ah well, welcome to Usenet!
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================
Old September 11th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In my haste to post details of the latest Journey Planner I made some
mistakes which I must put right. I should have given first priority to
clearing the text of my posting with Journeyplan, and must point out that the
comparison with 'Transport Direct' was my personal opinion, and not that of
Journeyplan Ltd. To clarify: my position with Journeyplan Ltd. is not as an
employee, but as a technical consultant.

Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding.

On the technical side, and in response to some of your comments, please note
the following:

1. The planner does not contain details of local buses in England and Wales
and can only be used in its full multi-modal capacity for journeys wholly
within or between Scotland, Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle
of Man. For both timetable and fares information we can only display the
information that we can source.

2. In addition to National Express and Rail services, data for England and
Wales includes some airport coach connections in order to properly integrate
air and rail services.

3. The rail portion of the planner uses nationally standardised connectional
information.

Journeyplan always welcomes feedback and constructive criticism that helps to
improve the planner and urges users to continue to provide feedback via their
website http://www.planajourney.co.uk. They will investigate and respond to
each data issue that has been raised.

Thank you for your responses.

All the best,

Iain

Worth a visit: http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/ 'Free Our Data Campaign'

--
Iain Logan, Langholm, Dumfriesshire
Home: http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/

Old September 11th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:05:35 on Mon, 11
Sep 2006, Iain Wilkie Logan remarked:
3. The rail portion of the planner uses nationally standardised connectional
information.

But not the routing guide, it seems.

Journeyplan always welcomes feedback and constructive criticism that helps to
improve the planner and urges users to continue to provide feedback via their
website http://www.planajourney.co.uk. They will investigate and respond to
each data issue that has been raised.

Do we need to re-submit our findings, or will you send them in for us?