Old September 9th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default ANNOUNCE: PlanAJourney - The BEST UK Journey Planner

Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

The September 15th issue of 'Bus and Coach Professional' will contain a
comprehensive feature article on our system.

In the meantime, please go to our site and try out our planner for yourself.

All the best,

Iain Logan
On behalf of:
JourneyPlan Ltd - making travel simple!
Winners of PTS Innovation Award 2005
Office: 01383 731048

The Original and Best UK Journey Planner

--
Iain Logan, Langholm, Dumfriesshire
Work: http://www.planajourney.co.uk/

Old September 9th 06, 01:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:
Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

Not bad at all. Much better than Transport Direct certainly.

Good Points
Very fast
Simple to use
Shows detail on train facilities (buffet, first class etc)
Shows full Train Descriptions (1A23 etc)
Shows detailed fare information

Bad Points
Limited range of locations (not many bus stations, no postcode lookup)
Doesn't know LUL fares
Doesn't know fares which include underground. I tried a Hertfordshire -
South London journey, and it gave directions via the Victoria Line with
interchange at Brixton (Vic is much better), and separate fares to
Finsbury Park, and from Brixton - you can get a single ticket including
the undergound.

regards
HN28

Old September 9th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:

Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

The September 15th issue of 'Bus and Coach Professional' will contain a
comprehensive feature article on our system.

In the meantime, please go to our site and try out our planner for yourself.

How on earth can this be described as "The BEST"? It will not
acknowledge that there is a railway line between Westbury and Salisbury,
insisting on sending me via Bath and Reading!
Old September 9th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:
Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

I've used your Palm Rail Journey Planner for a few years now and it's
indispensable.

The online planner seems to be pretty good for planning rail journeys.
It's certainly very fast and I like the fact it gives platform numbers.
However it doesn't appear to handle door to door multi modal journeys as
well as transport-direct (which has improved greatly recently I think).
Old September 9th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:
Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

The September 15th issue of 'Bus and Coach Professional' will contain a
comprehensive feature article on our system.

In the meantime, please go to our site and try out our planner for yourself.

Trafford to Lancaster.

OK, Manchester Trafford Centre to Lancaster Bus Station. 'No journeys'
OK, press the IE back button, not the one on the page.
Oops, it crashed.

Ok, fire it up again, Trafford Park (trains) to Lancaster (trains).
Lots of options with one change showing. Get the details, oops need to
change at WAC and WBQ.

Let's see if I can get any buses, oops IE crashed again....

Old September 9th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 18:28:19 +0100, Nick Finnigan
wrote:

OK, press the IE back button, not the one on the page.
Oops, it crashed.

[...]
Let's see if I can get any buses, oops IE crashed again....

Use a real web browser then

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 9th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 9 Sep 2006 06:16:35 -0700, wrote:

Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:
[...]

Trying a trip to a South London location which I suspect is not
dissimilar to yours, I notice that it has ye olde Tramlink times, not
the current ones.

Getting pedantic, It also gives a 12 min walk from East Croydon to
West Croydon, when I find that walking from George Street is slightly
faster than from East Croydon [with the new timetable the trams go to
West Croydon anyway, but for the end-to-end journey in question the
timetable granularity means that switiching to a 410 bus at Church St
is quicker].

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old September 9th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Ian is offline

"Iain Wilkie Logan" wrote in message ...

Please visit http://www.planajourney.co.uk/ where you will find our
multi-modal journey planning alternative to 'Transport Direct'.

Tried it for journeys into Portsmouth. It didn't recognise the name of my
hamlet or my nearest village (population about 5,000). It did recognise my
local town and the first route suggested would take nearly 5 hours as it
went up to London and then back to Portsmouth by train. I could walk it
quicker. By car it normally takes about 25 minutes in the rush hour to
travel the 12 miles.

Ian

Old September 9th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:
The Original and Best UK Journey Planner

Hmmm...

Braunton to Barnstaple offers me a single journey at 0805.

Turns out it's our daily National Express coach, and what a bargain it
is, at a measly GPB 6.80 for a single 20-minute, six mile journey.

Sounds so much more appealing than the three buses an hour you could
catch instead (at an exorbitant GBP 2.40 day return I might add, and
with no optional insurance available to boot), doesn't it?

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: Saffire - The Uppity Blues Women - Middle Aged Blues Boogie (from the album 'The Uppity Blues Women')
Old September 9th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 13:38:36 +0100, Iain Wilkie Logan
wrote:

The Original and Best UK Journey Planner

Not until it recognises postcodes.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com