Old September 20th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford Street Trams

wrote:
Bob wrote:
Further to out thread of November last year

From the article: 'A spokesman for the New West End Company said:

"Everyone recognises that Oxford Street's challenge is congestion. We
are pleased that the decision makers are looking at effective ideas
that will address this issue and turn it into a people place."'

It's a relief to hear an interest group actually keeping an open mind
on a possible project, rather than screaming loudly about loss of trade
due to people not being able to park outside the stores etc.

I think parking on Oxford Street was something lost a long time ago!

Anything to make Oxford Street more "people friendly" should be welcomed
by the traders - the competition will soon be hotting up (see White
City) and some serious sprucing up of the street will probably be
necessary just to stay still, let alone improve footfall.

They'd probably really like Crossrail too (which doesn't go to White
City luckily for them!) but I wonder if they'd be willing to stump up
towards it...

--
Dave Arquati

Old September 21st 06, 01:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I know my geoghraphy vis a ve the proposed tram system is a bit rusty but
would not the disused Tram subway at Holborn be a suitable location for
stabling trams in the centre of the city off peak?

Old September 21st 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 02:50:11 +0100, "JMUpton2000" securitynovels @
freeuk.com wrote:

I know my geoghraphy vis a ve the proposed tram system is a bit rusty but
would not the disused Tram subway at Holborn be a suitable location for
stabling trams in the centre of the city off peak?

Most of it has cars driving along it now, and the rest is full of road
signs and stuff. But yes you could probably get a couple of sets in
there, if there was sufficient width available.
Old September 25th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JMUpton2000 wrote:
I know my geoghraphy vis a ve the proposed tram system is a bit rusty but
would not the disused Tram subway at Holborn be a suitable location for
stabling trams in the centre of the city off peak?

Yus but... it won't be used for the Cross River Tram (not the right
shape/size for new trams) and it's quite popular with cars at the moment.

--
Dave Arquati
Old September 25th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
JMUpton2000 wrote:
I know my geoghraphy vis a ve the proposed tram system is a bit rusty
but would not the disused Tram subway at Holborn be a suitable
location for stabling trams in the centre of the city off peak?

Yus but... it won't be used for the Cross River Tram (not the right
shape/size for new trams) and it's quite popular with cars at the
moment.

If its got cars in it are you thinking about the right subway ?
--
martyn dawe

Old September 26th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"martyn dawe" wrote in message
If its got cars in it are you thinking about the right subway ?
--

What I actually was implying was is there a case for using the unused
section of the old Kingsway subway for the central London stabling/servicing

The ramp down into it and the space is already there (so is the rails for
that matter althought they are probably past it!) and I believe it is still
owned either by the GLC (or whatever Kens barmy army is called these days)
or TfL.

Old September 26th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ews.net,
"JMUpton2000" securitynovels @ freeuk.com wrote:

The ramp down into it and the space is already there (so is the rails for
that matter althought they are probably past it!) and I believe it is still
owned either by the GLC (or whatever Kens barmy army is called these days)
or TfL.

I believe it's now owned by Camden Council (who inherited it from the
GLC in 1986).

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-
Old September 27th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:27:34 +0100, "JMUpton2000" securitynovels @
freeuk.com wrote:

"martyn dawe" wrote in message
If its got cars in it are you thinking about the right subway ?
--

What I actually was implying was is there a case for using the unused
section of the old Kingsway subway for the central London stabling/servicing
of trams during the off peak.

The ramp down into it and the space is already there (so is the rails for
that matter althought they are probably past it!) and I believe it is still
owned either by the GLC (or whatever Kens barmy army is called these days)
or TfL.

Actually the pictures he
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...y/index2.shtml
do seem to show that a lot more of it still exists unused (by cars)
than I thought.

Don't know if wide enough to take two modern trams side by side and
still have space for a walk way though.

The "dead end" nature of the space today might make it too much of a
risk to use (imagine four or six tram sets being stuck down there for
a year because someone blew up the entrance ramp or something) unless
they constructed another ramp into it somewhere near where the car
section ends today.