Old May 16th 07, 06:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Oxford Street Trams - again

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ion/article.do

quote
Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station
14.05.07
Marble Arch would have to be moved and a bus station built in its
place if trams were to be introduced along Oxford Street, London's
transport commissioner has admitted.
Peter Hendy said a facility twice the size of that being built at
Hammersmith would be needed if the Mayor's dream of replacing buses
with trams along the famous shopping street by 2013 were to become
reality.
Ken Livingstone wants to ban traffic along Oxford Street and install
trams from Marble Arch to Tottenham Court Road. Buses and taxis would
be diverted onto nearby roads, such as Wigmore Street, but would still
cross Oxford Street.
Moving the Marble Arch monument would need the consent of conservation
bodies. Businesses such as John Lewis want action to ease congestion
caused by buses, and talks are under way with Westminster and Camden
councils.
Mr Hendy said directing buses onto Wigmore Street would spark an
outcry from Marylebone residents.
Speaking at the State of London debate, he said: "It can be done. One
of the solutions is to have a large transport interchange at Tottenham
Court Road, Marble Arch and Oxford Circus. I work for Ken. If
he says he wants a tram, I will do my best to build him one... The
issue is what we do with people who change at either end [of Oxford
Street]."
Two years ago Transport for London discussed plans to move the arch
from one of London's busiest roundabouts to Speakers' Corner.
Marble Arch, designed in 1828 for George IV as a memorial to the
Napoleonic Wars, was originally sited near Buckingham Palace.
unquote

Old May 16th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Wow did this link came from the London Lite? I didnt think there was
anything worth reading? I thought it was just pictures?

Old May 16th 07, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:56:35 GMT, wrote:

Wow did this link came from the London Lite? I didnt think there was
anything worth reading? I thought it was just pictures?

There was something worth reading on Monday. (But then, I would say
Old May 16th 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Farrar" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:56:35 GMT, wrote:

Wow did this link came from the London Lite? I didnt think there was
anything worth reading? I thought it was just pictures?

There was something worth reading on Monday. (But then, I would say
that, since I wrote it! :-) )

Still anything is better than the London Paper. Is there any news in it at
all?

Old May 16th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

They'd do much better to install weatherproof travelators.

Colin McKenzie

Old May 17th 07, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...

quote
Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now
and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

B2003

Old May 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Boltar wrote:

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...

quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that Cumberland
Gate is in a lousy location!

and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the name
Ossulstone back into common use ...

tom

--
agriculture, animal husbandry, and plains-like landscape
Old May 18th 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...

quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that
Cumberland Gate is in a lousy location!

Since the congestion charge might have polarised most traffic along the
Edgware Road / Park Lane axis, I wonder if the gyratory should be abolished.

Old May 18th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:51:42AM -0700, Boltar wrote:
On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now
and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

I bet that we'll continue to call the place Marble Arch even after the
arch has gone, in the same way as the Strand wasn't renamed after it was
no longer the riverbank.

And if they move it to Hyde Park Corner, then all the idiot tourists too
stupid to read a map who think that the Wellington arch is Marble Arch
would be less confused.

Gehyrst þu, sælida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
Hi willað eow to gafole garas syllan,
ættrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þa heregeatu þe eow æt hilde ne deah.
-- Byrhtnoð
Old May 18th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

k...
On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station

Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now
and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

I bet that we'll continue to call the place Marble Arch even after the
arch has gone, in the same way as the Strand wasn't renamed after it was
no longer the riverbank.

Are you saying it wasn't erected there to commemorate the invention of the
game of marbles?

Paul