Old September 20th 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross or St Pancras? Eurostar started already?

What's going on with the work at Kings Cross for the H&C, Met & Circle
lines? Is there anyone overseeing the work as it progresses?

Apart from the slow gates that ensure nice long queues in the rush
hours (sorry Paul C, but they are not up to the task, at least at the
moment), it seems that both sets of stairs are now marked 'way out'
from the platform. As you might imagine, when a train arrives in the
peak periods on either platform - the stairs become a battle ground.

Think of the old stairs, when there were signs/indicators to show which
section you could use (two down, one up and swapped). Sure some people
ignored it, but imagine having NO such guidance! Carnage.

And it seems that if you're going towards Farringdon then the wording
on the walls will tell passengers you are at Kings Cross, only. The
signs also have Eurostar on them!! Are they ahead of schedule for
opening this?

On the other side, going towards Euston Square, it's St Pancras, only.
Yes, the Underground logos are the wall (with Kings Cross St Pancras
marked) but is there any reason for having only half the name on each
platform? My guess is that they're slightly different sizes and half
the signs didn't arrive/were damaged or whatever, but why not wait
until everything can be done at once?

One more question; will there be any form of ventilation when the
station is renovated? At the moment there are some rooms/offices
inbetween the two sets of stairs with air conditioning units that blast
out huge amounts of hot air. In effect, the platforms have their own
fan heaters in operation. You can feel the heat the minute you get to
the bottom of the stairs and on to the platform.

Apart from that, everything is just fine! When the signs upstairs start
showing arrival/departure times for the lines, I'll be particularly
happy. When you walk down at 0830 to see 'delayed' or 15 minutes
showing, it's a right PITA to walk back up and out to get a bus. I also
think that it's going to look very nice when finished, even if the
platforms will actually have less space on them than they did before.

Jonathan

Old September 21st 06, 01:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

jonmorris wrote:
What's going on with the work at Kings Cross for the H&C, Met & Circle
lines? Is there anyone overseeing the work as it progresses?

Apart from the slow gates that ensure nice long queues in the rush
hours (sorry Paul C, but they are not up to the task, at least at the
moment), it seems that both sets of stairs are now marked 'way out'
from the platform. As you might imagine, when a train arrives in the
peak periods on either platform - the stairs become a battle ground.

Have you tried telling the staff at the station?

The
signs also have Eurostar on them!! Are they ahead of schedule for
opening this?

No.

Old September 21st 06, 07:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

jonmorris wrote:
Apart from the slow gates that ensure nice long queues in the rush
hours (sorry Paul C, but they are not up to the task, at least at the
moment), it seems that both sets of stairs are now marked 'way out'
from the platform. As you might imagine, when a train arrives in the
peak periods on either platform - the stairs become a battle ground.

I would imagine that the situation will improve a bit once the
'paid-area' link between the sub-surface and deep-level lines opens
later this year.
And it seems that if you're going towards Farringdon then the wording
on the walls will tell passengers you are at Kings Cross, only.
On the other side, going towards Euston Square, it's St Pancras, only.
Yes, the Underground logos are the wall (with Kings Cross St Pancras
marked) but is there any reason for having only half the name on each
platform?

Beats me. I wonder if anyone else had noticed that.
Old September 21st 06, 07:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

By the way, you might like to know that because of the fit-out works
going on in what will be called St Pancras Thameslink, Midland Road will
remain shut until March 2007, and even then it will open only to limited
pedestrian and vehicular traffic until the arrival of Eurostar.
Old September 21st 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:44:07 -0700, jonmorris wrote:
Apart from that, everything is just fine! When the signs upstairs start
showing arrival/departure times for the lines, I'll be particularly happy.
When you walk down at 0830 to see 'delayed' or 15 minutes showing, it's a
right PITA to walk back up and out to get a bus.

I've never seen that at any Tube station. Putting arrival times displays
in the concourse would result in impatient idiots bolting down the stairs
when it shows "1 minute" for their desired train. It would be a safety
nightmare. Think of how people speed up on the escalators now when they
hear a train arriving at a platform at the bottom.

Old September 21st 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Hearns wrote:

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:44:07 -0700, jonmorris wrote:

Apart from that, everything is just fine! When the signs upstairs start
showing arrival/departure times for the lines, I'll be particularly happy.
When you walk down at 0830 to see 'delayed' or 15 minutes showing, it's a
right PITA to walk back up and out to get a bus.

I've never seen that at any Tube station. Putting arrival times displays
in the concourse would result in impatient idiots bolting down the stairs
when it shows "1 minute" for their desired train. It would be a safety
nightmare. Think of how people speed up on the escalators now when they
hear a train arriving at a platform at the bottom.

Didn't they used to do that at one of the Clapham tubes so people could
wait upstairs ?
Old September 21st 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:48:20 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:44:07 -0700, jonmorris wrote:
Apart from that, everything is just fine! When the signs upstairs start
showing arrival/departure times for the lines, I'll be particularly happy.
When you walk down at 0830 to see 'delayed' or 15 minutes showing, it's a
right PITA to walk back up and out to get a bus.

I've never seen that at any Tube station. Putting arrival times displays
in the concourse would result in impatient idiots bolting down the stairs
when it shows "1 minute" for their desired train. It would be a safety
nightmare. Think of how people speed up on the escalators now when they
hear a train arriving at a platform at the bottom.

They have it at some stations on the southern end of the Northern
line, and have recently installed one at GPS. The latter seems to be a
minute or so ahead of the platform dot matrix, thus assuring that if
it says "1 min" you need not hurry to get the train.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 21st 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:17:23 +0100, James Farrar wrote:

They have it at some stations on the southern end of the Northern line,
and have recently installed one at GPS.

I stand corrected.
Old September 21st 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Hearns wrote:

They have it at some stations on the southern end of the Northern line,
and have recently installed one at GPS.

I stand corrected.

Also Swiss Cottage. I think it's standard for newly-renovated stations.
Do they have one at Queensway?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old September 21st 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Sep 2006 03:38:26 -0700, "John B" wrote:

John Hearns wrote:

They have it at some stations on the southern end of the Northern line,
and have recently installed one at GPS.

I stand corrected.

Also Swiss Cottage. I think it's standard for newly-renovated stations.

Correct - it is.

--
Paul C