Old September 23rd 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross Thameslink & "London Terminals"

In article ,
(Barry Salter) wrote:

On 12 Aug 2006 06:48:03 GMT, "Andrew Black (delete obvious bit)"
wrote:

I am confused by the concept of "London Terminals"
I asked for a ticket from East Dulwich to Kings Cross Thameslink
and was given a ticked to "London Terminals". This ticket was
accepted by the ticket machine at KX Thameslink.

OTOH my understanding from posts here in the past is that KX
Thameslink is only a "London Terminals" from the North.

Not complaining at only paying the same price for a ticket ot KX
TL as to London bridge, but worried about being accosted by an
over zealous gripper.

As is so often the case with stations "South of the River" [1], you
have been mis-sold a ticket.

It quite clearly states in Section A of the NFMs, and a reminder was
printed in Newsrail Express Issue 319 (dated w/e 22nd July 2006),
that:

+ For journeys from/to the south, 'London Terminals' tickets are
valid for travel to/from London Bridge, London Blackfriars and City
Thameslink but not north thereof.
+ For journeys from/to the north, 'London Terminals' tickets are
valid for travel to/from Kings Cross Thameslink but not south thereof.
+ For journeys starting, terminating or via Farringdon, Barbican or
Moorgate stations, a through ticket to/from the specific named
station,where available, or a ticket which includes Zone U1, MUST be
issued.

And, of course, you'd be liable to a Penalty Fare in the event of
being gripped, though you could appeal it.

Best bet would be to contact Southern Customer Relations informing
them of the problem, given the risk of being Penalty Fared through no
fault of your own.

Cheers,

Barry

[1] Not that I'm suggesting those North of the River are perfect,
but the vast majority of issuing errors I've come across have been from
Southeastern, Southern and South West Trains trains stations.

To travel from Cambridge to Brighton and back recently, I had to buy
separate Cambridge-London and London-Brighton saver returns.

The National Rail Enquiries web site refers to two Saver Returns at
different fares without differentiating the validities. Both were shown
there as valid for Brighton-Kings Cross Thameslink on the return journey.

I bought the tickets at Cambridge station ('one' operated) where the
fares were shown as "Any Permitted" for the cheaper one and "FCC Only"
for the more expensive one. As I was going to Brighton via Clapham
Junction the latter wasn't suitable in any case but I got Cambridge to
check on Tribute and that clearly showed the "Any Permitted" ticket as
valid from Brighton to Kings Cross Thameslink.

I had no problem there on my actual journey but my ticket was never put
through the gate at Kings Cross Thameslink as I had too much luggage and
showed it to the collector at the manual gate.

So why does Tribute not agree with the NFM?

--
Colin Rosenstiel