Old September 28th 06, 04:30 PM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow
Default Newbie in need of help!

I'm possibly about to change jobs and am trying desperately to figure out how much it's going to cost me to get to work if it comes off.

I currently split my week pretty much 50/50 between Kent & Hounslow (where he-who-thinks-he-knows-best lives) and I've got prices for trains from both locations to Waterloo but what I really need to know is how much it would cost for monthly travelcards on an Oyster for zones 1&2 and zones 1-4 so that I can build up a clear picture in my mind of whether I'll be able to afford to say yes if they offer me the job!

Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what he usually does)

If the above is allowed does anyone think that it would be best if he got a 1-4 and I got a 1&2 so that all my/our options would be covered.

Blimey, this new job lark is trickier than it seems!
__________________
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.

Old September 28th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:30:18 +0100, AndreaC
wrote:

[...]

If you need the flexibility of travel within zones 1-4 then that is what
you should buy - especially if you cannot narrow down to weekly "lumps"
when you might be travelling 1-2 or 1-4.

Fare info is here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...006.pdf#page=1

An Oyster card can hold two types of validity - a Travelcard season
ticket *and* money for use as "pay as you go". A Travelcard on Oyster
has all the validity of an old paper / magnetic stripe ticket so no
change. It is valid on the main line trains. If someone decides just to
use "pay as you go" then that is typically (there a few exceptions) NOT
valid on the main line network. PAYG fares are less than you would pay
if you paying with cash for bus / tube / dlr fares. The two products
can work together to provide a travelcard season ticket for regular
trips and then provide a fund of cash on the card for ticket extensions
if you travel beyond your normal zonal validity (but only for tube and
dlr modes).

An Oyster card that has a weekly, monthly or longer travelcard on it is
NOT transferable so you cannot share the card with the other half.

The other half may find it beneficial to have an Oyster card with money
on it for pay as you go use in the Hounslow area as it will be valid on
the tube and bus services there. This is where money is deducted from
the card for each trip but a discount to the normal cash fare and also
the card will cap deductions at the equivalent One Day ticket less 50p.
However it is not valid on the SWT main line service to Waterloo and
won't be for a few years yet. The extent to which main line train
services are used is the key determinant as to whether

If you were prepared to travel by tube and bus rather than main line
rail then you would need a Z12 travelcard for your main journeys and
provided you had some cash in your Oyster PAYG "purse" then you can
travel beyond Z12 by tube and the ticket gates will deduct any money due
for an extension ticket automatically at the end of your journey. Your
travelcard already gives you bus validity all over London anyway so
there is no charge for any of those you might use at Richmond /
Hounslow. Only you can tell if the incremental cost of a Z14 travelcard
is worth having if you would prefer the convenience of using SWT direct
train services via Waterloo rather than diverting to the tube and bus
network.

--
Paul C

Old September 28th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Poldie wrote:
AndreaC wrote:
Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a
zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work
from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what
he usually does)

Yes.

No. Pity you chose to contradict Paul C., who posted an hour before
you, without any explanation. To quote from page 3 of TfL's "Get the
most out of your Oyster card" leaflet: "If you have a Travelcard/Bus
Pass on your Oyster card it is for your use only so you cannot let
someone else use it." However, "You can let a friend or someone else,
use your card, if you only use Oyster to pay as you go."

[The punctuation is TfL's!]

--
Richard J.

Old September 29th 06, 03:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Poldie wrote:
AndreaC wrote:
Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a
zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work
from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what
he usually does)

Yes.

No. Pity you chose to contradict Paul C., who posted an hour before
you, without any explanation. To quote from page 3 of TfL's "Get the
most out of your Oyster card" leaflet: "If you have a Travelcard/Bus
Pass on your Oyster card it is for your use only so you cannot let
someone else use it." However, "You can let a friend or someone else,
use your card, if you only use Oyster to pay as you go."

Why is this the policy, and is it enforceable?

Incidentally, do paper Travelcards have the same policy? I was at
Edgware, trying unsuccessfully to persuade the ticket machine to accept
my credit card, when a random stranger handed me his day Travelcard.
(He did not ask for compensation.) Great, I thought, that solved my
problem. But the person at the gates, who happened to have witnessed
the transaction, would not let me through, insisting that the card
wasn't mine. Who was right?

When unlimited cards were first introduced in New York, the MTA made it
quite clear that unlimited cards could be shared. (Obviously, only one
person may use an unlimited card at a time, although that doesn't apply
to pay-per-ride cards, which permit access to up to four together and
keep track of their free bus transfers.)
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old September 29th 06, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Poldie wrote:
AndreaC wrote:
Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a
zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work
from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what
he usually does)

Yes.

No. Pity you chose to contradict Paul C., who posted an hour before
you,

At the point I answered, no replies was visible (using Google Groups).

Old September 29th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:08:03 GMT, David of Broadway
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Poldie wrote:
AndreaC wrote:
Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a
zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work
from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what
he usually does)

Yes.

No. Pity you chose to contradict Paul C., who posted an hour before
you, without any explanation. To quote from page 3 of TfL's "Get the
most out of your Oyster card" leaflet: "If you have a Travelcard/Bus
Pass on your Oyster card it is for your use only so you cannot let
someone else use it." However, "You can let a friend or someone else,
use your card, if you only use Oyster to pay as you go."

Why is this the policy

In general, tube tickets (like those on the mainline railways) have
been non-transferable for a long time.

I presume PAYG is transferable because it's considered to be like
cash.

Incidentally, do paper Travelcards have the same policy?

Yes.

I was at
Edgware, trying unsuccessfully to persuade the ticket machine to accept
my credit card, when a random stranger handed me his day Travelcard.
(He did not ask for compensation.) Great, I thought, that solved my
problem. But the person at the gates, who happened to have witnessed
the transaction, would not let me through, insisting that the card
wasn't mine. Who was right?

The member of staff, I'm afraid.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 29th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Sep 2006 23:42:33 -0700, "Poldie" wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Poldie wrote:
AndreaC wrote:
Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a
zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work
from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what
he usually does)

Yes.

No. Pity you chose to contradict Paul C., who posted an hour before
you,

At the point I answered, no replies was visible (using Google Groups).

Well, then, use a real news server and newsreader.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 29th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Poldie wrote:
AndreaC wrote:
Also, can two people share one Oyster travelcard so that if I had a
zones 1-4, himself could use it on the days I'm not going to work
from his place if he didn't fancy cycling to work (which is what
he usually does)
Yes.
No. Pity you chose to contradict Paul C., who posted an hour before
you, without any explanation. To quote from page 3 of TfL's "Get the
most out of your Oyster card" leaflet: "If you have a Travelcard/Bus
Pass on your Oyster card it is for your use only so you cannot let
someone else use it." However, "You can let a friend or someone else,
use your card, if you only use Oyster to pay as you go."

Why is this the policy

In general, tube tickets (like those on the mainline railways) have
been non-transferable for a long time.

So it's a matter of tradition more than anything else?

Incidentally, do paper Travelcards have the same policy?

Yes.

Do I not violate this rule, then, by walking up to the ticket window and
purchasing two Travelcards, one for myself and one for a travel
companion? Why is the ticket agent even willing to sell more than one
Travelcard for the same period to a single person, when obviously that
individual will not be using more than one of them?

Or does the restriction only apply once the ticket has been used?

I was at
Edgware, trying unsuccessfully to persuade the ticket machine to accept
my credit card, when a random stranger handed me his day Travelcard.
(He did not ask for compensation.) Great, I thought, that solved my
problem. But the person at the gates, who happened to have witnessed
the transaction, would not let me through, insisting that the card
wasn't mine. Who was right?

The member of staff, I'm afraid.

Then it's good he stopped me, I suppose. (Incidentally, he had an
American accent, but he obviously wasn't a transplanted New York token
clerk, since he was quite polite about denying me entry.)

If the ticket office isn't open at all times that trains run, it would
be nice if the ticket machines were repaired so that they accept credit
cards without chip-and-PIN. I realize that all British credit cards
have chip-and-PIN, but not everybody who rides the Tube is British.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA