Old October 13th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can I buy myself a discounted Network Railcard?

Ken wrote:

On 12 Oct 2006 03:10:28 -0700, "John B" wrote:

sued.

That's interesting, because at a major London terminal this morning I
bought two Network Railcards marked "Network Gold Card" at the same
time (paid with a £2 coin!) with different names on them, and the
member of staff only a glance at my Gold Card - no endorsement.

...in which case, your best bet is to try and buy yourself the Network
Railcard at a couple of stations; most likely someone will sell you one
irrespective of the official rules.

When I handed in my gold card for a refund the station asked, out of
interest, why I'd done so. Whew I said that I was only travelling
about twice a week, and that often off-peak, they handed me a Network
Railcard application form and suggested I complete it in my own name
and return it with £1 BEFORE I gave them the Gold Card!

Needless to say, I accepted their offer (and later wrote to the TOC
commending the staff, without being too specific).

Writing to the TOC to commend their staff for breaking the ticketing
rules sounds like a somewhat bizarre course of action IMO. When staff
bend the rules for me - which I do appreciate - I'm normally a little
effusive in issuing thanks to them, and might well tell friends and
associates that 'Bob' in the ticket office at station X is a nice &
helpful bloke, but I wouldn't write to the powers that be about it!

In summary, rule adherence and checking is not rigorous.

This whole thread would appear to very much confirm that!

Old October 16th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Oct 2006 06:52:44 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

Needless to say, I accepted their offer (and later wrote to the TOC
commending the staff, without being too specific).

Writing to the TOC to commend their staff for breaking the ticketing
rules sounds like a somewhat bizarre course of action IMO. When staff
bend the rules for me - which I do appreciate - I'm normally a little
effusive in issuing thanks to them, and might well tell friends and
associates that 'Bob' in the ticket office at station X is a nice &
helpful bloke, but I wouldn't write to the powers that be about it!

It's not the first time I've written to my local TOC (WAGN then One)
in praise of station staff, and (as I said) I wasn't specific about
how they'd helped - just that they'd been helpful and friendly, not on
the one occasion but on others too.
Old October 16th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ken Wheatley wrote:

On 13 Oct 2006 06:52:44 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

Needless to say, I accepted their offer (and later wrote to the TOC
commending the staff, without being too specific).

Writing to the TOC to commend their staff for breaking the ticketing
rules sounds like a somewhat bizarre course of action IMO. When staff
bend the rules for me - which I do appreciate - I'm normally a little
effusive in issuing thanks to them, and might well tell friends and
associates that 'Bob' in the ticket office at station X is a nice &
helpful bloke, but I wouldn't write to the powers that be about it!

It's not the first time I've written to my local TOC (WAGN then One)
in praise of station staff, and (as I said) I wasn't specific about
how they'd helped - just that they'd been helpful and friendly, not on
the one occasion but on others too.

I see, I somewhat misread your original comment as suggesting that your
letter might've commended the staff for doing something they shouldn't
do, whilst perhaps not mentioning specific names. But of course now I
re-read it I realise I misinterpreted your comments and I now see your
letters of commendation weren't specific about how the staff had helped
you, only that they had been v helpful. Apols.

I'm sure that such letters of thanks are rewarding and greatly
appreciated by the staff involved. I've many good things to say about
the staff at my local station's ticket office, so next time there is
some instance of particular assistance I'll be sure to dispatch a quick
note.