Old October 12th 06, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can I buy myself a discounted Network Railcard?

Hi,

Not strictly London travel related, but farly close: I've got a Gold
Card which expires in about a week. I've just bought my partner a £1
Network Railcard before the GC expires, and it comes with one year's
validity. As I don't plan to renew my Gold Card, can I buy myself a
Network Railcard so I can get (more restricted) discounts for another
year? Whilst the blurb talks about "family and friends" the online PDFs
of the NFM didn't seem to mention any restrictions about who you can
buy them for, or about buying one to use after the GC has expired.

Thanks,

Luke

Old October 12th 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi,

Barry Salter wrote:

You only get one "Partner's Card" (or Gold Card Network Railcard to give
it its proper title) per Gold Card, and your Gold Card *should* be
endorsed on the back when that's issued.

That's interesting, because at a major London terminal this morning I
bought two Network Railcards marked "Network Gold Card" at the same
time (paid with a £2 coin!) with different names on them, and the
member of staff only a glance at my Gold Card - no endorsement.

Luke

Old October 12th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

wrote:

Barry Salter wrote:
You only get one "Partner's Card" (or Gold Card Network Railcard to give
it its proper title) per Gold Card, and your Gold Card *should* be
endorsed on the back when that's issued.

As far as I'm aware, to all intents and purposes the "Partner's Card"
terminology that Network South East introduced for use with regards to
the offer of a discounted Network Card for the 'partners' of Gold Card
holders has died out. There used to be a special "Partner's Card"
ticket stock used as well, but this stopped a few years ago (not sure
when).

That's interesting, because at a major London terminal this morning I
bought two Network Railcards marked "Network Gold Card" at the same
time (paid with a £2 coin!) with different names on them, and the
member of staff only a glance at my Gold Card - no endorsement.

Definitely not in the rules! You should only be able to buy a single
discounted (i.e. £1) Network Railcard per Gold Card. I wouldn't be
surprised by ticket offices not endorsing the Gold Card when they issue
a discounted Network Railcard, but I'm surprised they issued you with
two - in fact I'm surprised you asked. I presume you were just trying
it on?!

...in which case, your best bet is to try and buy yourself the Network
Railcard at a couple of stations; most likely someone will sell you one
irrespective of the official rules.

I detect an illicit business opportunity here!

Old October 12th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi,

Mizter T wrote:

Definitely not in the rules! You should only be able to buy a single
discounted (i.e. £1) Network Railcard per Gold Card. I wouldn't be
surprised by ticket offices not endorsing the Gold Card when they issue
a discounted Network Railcard, but I'm surprised they issued you with
two - in fact I'm surprised you asked. I presume you were just trying
it on?!

Until the replies in this thread I was under the (incorrect) impression
that buying several was perfectly legitimate. I'd read the TfL fares
guide and the "buy a Network Railcard for a relative or friend" had
merged in my brain with "Travelcards for friends and family at an adult
reduced price" which had given me this idea. I'd probably have been
clearer if it had said something like "partner or close relative"
rather than "friend".

I detect an illicit business opportunity here!

I did wonder why said business opportunity wasn't being milked by all
and sundry!

Yes, my interpretation above looks a bit stupid in the cold light of
day, but previously I'd only taken a quick glance at the fares guide.

Luke

Old October 12th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Hi,

Mizter T wrote:

Definitely not in the rules! You should only be able to buy a single
discounted (i.e. £1) Network Railcard per Gold Card. I wouldn't be
surprised by ticket offices not endorsing the Gold Card when they issue
a discounted Network Railcard, but I'm surprised they issued you with
two - in fact I'm surprised you asked. I presume you were just trying
it on?!

Until the replies in this thread I was under the (incorrect) impression
that buying several was perfectly legitimate. I'd read the TfL fares
guide and the "buy a Network Railcard for a relative or friend" had
merged in my brain with "Travelcards for friends and family at an adult
reduced price" which had given me this idea. I'd probably have been
clearer if it had said something like "partner or close relative"
rather than "friend".

I do apologise for casting aspersions on your character. I should of
course remember that most people don't know the minutiae of ticketing
rules off the top of their head - quite why I do, especially as I've
never held a Gold Card - or indeed a 'Partner's card' - is a good
question, one which I might struggle to answer!

Apart from anything else the logic beneath my question was flawed -
someone trying it on wouldn't even try buy two from the same ticket
office! They'd hope that their Gold Card wasn't endorsed the first time
round so they could go to another ticket office and get a second (and
so-on and so-on until the ticket office in question followed the
rules!).

I detect an illicit business opportunity here!

I did wonder why said business opportunity wasn't being milked by all
and sundry!

The critical thing that controls whether one permitted 'Partner's card'
has been issued is a mere mark on the actual Gold Card ticket - there
isn't AFAIA an associated central computer database. Nonetheless the
system would work fine if all ticket office staff abide by it.

If the TOCs can't manage to do this then they deserve to lose revenue!

Yes, my interpretation above looks a bit stupid in the cold light of
day, but previously I'd only taken a quick glance at the fares guide.

Luke

I absolutely accept your explanation!

Thanks for sharing this - it demonstrates a systems failure. Quite why
I'm doing the TOCs job for them I don't know!

Old October 13th 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

On 12 Oct 2006 03:10:28 -0700, "John B" wrote:

sued.

That's interesting, because at a major London terminal this morning I
bought two Network Railcards marked "Network Gold Card" at the same
time (paid with a £2 coin!) with different names on them, and the
member of staff only a glance at my Gold Card - no endorsement.

...in which case, your best bet is to try and buy yourself the Network
Railcard at a couple of stations; most likely someone will sell you one
irrespective of the official rules.

When I handed in my gold card for a refund the station asked, out of
interest, why I'd done so. Whew I said that I was only travelling
about twice a week, and that often off-peak, they handed me a Network
Railcard application form and suggested I complete it in my own name
and return it with £1 BEFORE I gave them the Gold Card!

Needless to say, I accepted their offer (and later wrote to the TOC
commending the staff, without being too specific).

In summary, rule adherence and checking is not rigorous.

Old October 13th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

ONscotland wrote:

Does this mean that the Gold Card discounts still apply even if the
holder's annual travelcard has expired?

B.

The discounted (i.e. £1) Network Railcard that Gold Card holders can
get for their partners is valid for a year from date of issue,
irrespective of when the Gold Card expires.