Old October 21st 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Card Users - info on incomplete journeys

wrote:

I've
entered Kings Cross late at night during development works and all the
gates were set to exit mode and had an unresolved jounrey at my exit
because I had no entry!

Even the reader by the manual gate?

Old October 21st 06, 09:03 PM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by

I've had problems a few times with gate readers and pre-pay. I've
exited at Limehouse DLR station and the reader said "closed" on it.
Absoutely nothing I could do but have an unresolved journey. I've
entered Kings Cross late at night during development works and all the
gates were set to exit mode and had an unresolved jounrey at my exit
because I had no entry! Lastly Southwark station is a nightmare if
using it as a walk through from Waterloo East to the main exit as it
doesn't let you through the gates at the other end and gives you an
unresolved journey. Admitely I haven't done the Southwark jounrey for
other a year so does may have been resolved by now....
I'm fairly new to all of this (although now I'm about to start a new job in London I'll have to get a lot more used to it!) and so I don't understand much about the vagaries of the system, however, I may be able to provide some sort of an answer to the Southwark tube station issue.

I recently got off a mainline train at Waterloo East and was heading out to meet friends at what I now know is the Southwark tube station end of The Cut. When I got to the top of the ramp off the WE platform I asked the chap at the enquiries desk which was the best/easiest way to get to that end of The Cut and he, noticing I had an Oyster wallet in my hand, said "go back onto the platform you've just come from and go along to Southwark tube station, go down the stairs and just walk straight through and out the other side"

I duly did as instructed but when I got down the stairs to the barriers the staff there told me that although the advise of the chap at WE would have been right if I had a travelcard on my Oyster, because I have only PAYG I would be charged (I forget now how much but think it may have been £1.50) for walking straight through from the entry point to exit barriers at the other end of the walkway because it would be treated as an underground journey!

I was mightily hacked off at being given misinformation and was by now in danger of being late meeting my friends (and thus falling behind on the drink count) so, after explaining to the staff member on the entry barrier that I'd been told to go this way as a short cut by the chap at WE she opened the barrier to allow me in without touching my Oyster card in, radioed the staff member on the exit barrier to tell her I was on my way and that I needed to be let through at that end too and said she would be speaking fiercely to the WE staff as they should not have told me to go this way without checking if I would be charged to do it.

Needless to say I won't be using the WE/Southwark station shortcut with my PAYG Oyster next time I go out in that area!
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.
Old October 22nd 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
I'll admit to not having checked but I thought nearly all gatelines have a
gate that can be opened for buggies/large luggage/problem tickets, with a
reader next to it that presumably works both ways.

There are also usually remote readers dotted about, but don't go
touching them unless the gates don't work!