Old October 26th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Any suggestions on the best route?

Green Park is a good place to change from Picc to Vic or the other way
round, especially if you have luggage. BUT you must ignore the signs!
Go to the way out, go up the escalator to the ticket hall and then down
to the other line. I do this for trips to Heathrow from Euston. Can get
from Euston main line to departures at Heathrow without having to
negotiate any staircases

Old October 26th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

knapp gate wrote:

Green Park is a good place to change from Picc to Vic or the other way
round, especially if you have luggage. BUT you must ignore the signs!
Go to the way out, go up the escalator to the ticket hall and then down
to the other line. I do this for trips to Heathrow from Euston. Can get
from Euston main line to departures at Heathrow without having to
negotiate any staircases

Top move. Travel in the rear part of the Picc Line train, change at
Green Park, follow the Way Out signs up the escalators to the
circulaying area, then down the escalators to the Victoria. Saves a
long walk at Green Park!

Old October 26th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

(snip)

If I was making the journey I would opt for the tube option as you might
get a seat as far out as Hounslow (possibly!) and then you have a
relatively easy change at Leicester Square and then a short trip on the
Northern from there when some of the crush that boarded earlier might
actually be getting off! Similarly in the other direction boarding at
Warren St to go south will not be too bad and you might get a seat
westbound at Leicester Square - the back carriage is not a bad place to
look!

(snip)

To expand on that last point a bit of advice so obvious I fear I'm
being incredibly patronising - however a lot of people still don't
latch on to it. IME most of the time it's worth heading for the front
or back carriage when it's rush hour whether on the Tube or overground
train - you might not get a seat but you'll probably get a bit more
breathing room. Of course whether the front or the back is best depends
on where people enter the platform from at the preceding stations
further back down the line, but you can figure that out over time.

I duly await being told that I've got it all wrong!

Old October 26th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

The only caveat I'd make is that in hot or even just mild weather, if
you choose the front car, you lose the benefit of having an open window
at the front of your car, which I find is the single most important
factor in achieving decent ventilation. (To a lesser extent, this also
applies to the rear car -- lack of extract capacity.) I always avoid
the front car during summer for that reason.

--
Richard J.

Old October 27th 06, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
(David Fitz) wrote:

First rule of using the tube ... never, ever change at Green Park
unless you really, really have to.

Victoria to Jubilee isn't too bad. I do it fairly regularly.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 27th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

Very true, my earlier comments don't reflect that that's what I do too!
If possible I choose to sit/stand next to the leading end of a carriage
so I'm near the open window of the interconnecting door.

Old October 27th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

AndreaC wrote:
I'm about to start a new job and this will involve travelling from
Hounslow to Warren Street.

If I use the train it's a simple case of going to Waterloo and then up
on the Northern line, but I'll also have the option of using the tube.
The most obvious route there seems to be Piccadilly line to Green Park,
change to the Victoria line there and go on to Warren Street.

However, I seem to recall that once, a long time ago, in the vague
mists of time I tried to change or possibly even exit at Green Park and
it was a flipping horrible station to navigate.

The alternative as I see it is to stay with the Piccadilly line to
Leicester Sq and then change to the Northern line there.

Any suggestions or advice from those of you who know these things
better than me? Any idea of journey times?

A.

--
AndreaC

Depends what time of day you travel and what about your return journey.
I assume its rush hour as you are going for work,

If you use SWTrains from Hounslow then you're guaranteed a seat.

Rush hour changes at Vauxhall could be a pain though.
As there's normally a crush of people there changing to Victoria Line.
The Victoria line is slightly less congested as you get on before
Victoria itself but still busy.

You may be better off continuing to Waterloo and changing to Northern
where the crowds disperse somewhat onto different lines. But the
Northern is usually fairly with commuters from before it gets to
Waterloo. However the frequency of trains is normally fairly good.
It's 40 minutes to Waterloo with a couple minutes less for Vauxhall on
SWT. with trains every 15 mins.

On the return journey then Waterloo is a definite.
Get on at Vauxhall and you'll be lucky to get a seat and sometimes
lucky to get on at all.
At Waterloo you're sometimes better off waiting for the next train too.

If you live near the tube then again you should get a seat okay when
you go out.
Stay on it until Piccadily circus. Then it's just a few stops to Warren
Street.
On the way home I suspect the Pic will be congested.

Times are much the same if you include the changes and the waits for
trains.
For comfort I would go SWT which has nice air conditioned trains.
Wheres the Pic you could get hot and bothered.

A.

Old October 29th 06, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...
AndreaC wrote:

However, I seem to recall that once, a long time ago, in the vague
mists of time I tried to change or possibly even exit at Green
Park and
it was a flipping horrible station to navigate.

First rule of using the tube ... never, ever change at Green Park
unless you really, really have to.

A friend of mine says knowing this is his test as to whether
someone is
a Londoner or not.

Isn't there some technique of doing it by going up the escalators and
down again?

Jeremy Parker

Old November 1st 06, 02:43 PM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow

Paul Corfield wrote

(snip)

Leicester Square is not bad but you do need to use the low level
corridors. These are at the rear of the train if you come from Hounslow
on the Picc Line or the front of the Northern Line trains if you arrive
at Leicester Square to make the change. There are signs half way along
the Picc and Northern platforms at Leicester Square but this is a longer
link and cuts across flows at the bottom of the main escalators for the
Piccadilly Line. Just a little local knowledge there!

Hi Paul

That sounds like some useful advice but can you expand a bit on the detail for me. Apologies for being a bit of a numpty but as I've never had to use the tube for work I've have never had to consider the path of least resistance before!

A.
__________________
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.
Old November 1st 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

AndreaC wrote:

Leicester Square is not bad but you do need to use the low level
corridors. These are at the rear of the train if you come from
Hounslow on the Picc Line or the front of the Northern Line trains if you
arrive at Leicester Square to make the change. There are signs half way along
the Picc and Northern platforms at Leicester Square but this is a
longer link and cuts across flows at the bottom of the main escalators for
the Piccadilly Line. Just a little local knowledge there! -

I know the interchange you mean and it is very short. Normally I would
cross to the other platform because the interchange from the front of
the Westbound Piccadilly Line platform takes you directly to the
direction of the Northern line that you wish to go.

Best route Cambridge to West Dulwich [email protected] London Transport 16 April 11th 14 01:31 PM
Best route from Heathrow to Hendon David of Broadway London Transport 11 November 19th 08 10:49 AM
Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green Jarle H Knudsen London Transport 34 May 10th 08 04:02 PM
best route DrTeeth London Transport 8 March 13th 06 09:35 PM
Route 12 - bendy bus? Any more routes? Fossil London Transport 14 November 14th 04 01:03 PM