Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 2nd 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Questions on the 2016 London Transport map esp the trams

Just had another look at what is without a doubt my favourite London
transport map:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...eases/putting-
transport-onthemap.pdf

It's how the network SHOULD look in 2016. I love the map.

However, when it was drawn up, Shoreditch is still there as a branch
coming off the new ELLx.

This isn't because the map is of "how the network looks on 31 August
2004 (when it was released) PLUS the new lines, because they've erased
for example the Silverlink between Stratford and Woolwich.

So is leaving Shoreditch in an oversight/mistake, or was the intention
then to give Shoreditch the Mill Hill East treatment.

On a similar note, Waterloo is still listed with a Eurostar logo. I
assume that's another mistake, correct?

Some other questions:

I'm delighted that Aldwych's name may come back (albeit as a tram
station) - funny how things go in circles. I assume though that it won't
use the old station, as the plan is for the tram to cross Waterloo
Bridge, not go under the river. Pretty picture of how this may look
he
http://www.crossriverpartnership.org/page.asp?id=1236

Are all these trams going to share the road like in the old days, and
like you have in most of Europe eg Prague, or are they going to be in a
sort of raised lane just for the trams?

If this is the case, I assume (again if that picture is anything to go
by) that they will be using overhead wires to power it? If they are
using the same roads etc, how the hell are the tall trucks and the
double-decker buses etc going to avoid the wires (and electrocuting the
passengers! ouch!)

I can't see it myself. All those cables will cause havoc, and then
you'll have people complaining about cables being attached to the side
of their properties.... it'll all end in tears. So what else? An under-
the-road conduit system? No wires at all... and the trams to run on
hydrogen or something? (after all, we are talking 2016 here). It's going
to have to be a "green" system of some kind...

Talking about the CPR I must say I chuckled when I saw on their website
that the report they commissioned to find the seven best trams in Europe
are all... in France! http://www.crossriverpartnership.org/page.asp?id=
1573
I mean, I'm sure they're excellent trams, but the top 7 all in France?
You'd have thought the students would have thrown in Copenhagen,
Gothenburg, Milan, Vienna or at least one non French town! Anyway, I

It's going to be an interesting experiment. Many of the proposed roads
are too narrow for the trams to have their own dedicated lane, so
they're going to have to share. Will they then be able to stick to any
kind of timetable (I'm aways amazed at how the tram in Prague is so
punctual, considering the mad traffic and the fact that the trams use
the same roads).

What about all the other trams, crossrail, etc etc. How on course are
they to actually having that map look accurate by 2016?