Old November 18th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Question on smoking in railway stations

wrote:
i was hoping that they might stick to banning it in enclosed spaces
(like pubs),

Which of course is awful, that decision should be up to the
landlord/owner of the pub. Smoking should be banned in all publicly
funded/subsidised places, including stations, parks, libraries, and the
street.

but i read in the paper the other day that a london
council has already banned their staff from taking fag breaks - even
when they went outside the building.

Depends on the job, in grunt-work like call centres etc, simply deduct
the time not working from their wage packet. Other jobs are more
complex, but it's up to the employer.

the same story mentioned that the council was even pondering banning
smoking in council houses!

If you can afford to wmoke, you can afford to rent somewhere privately
and not have the taxpayer subsidise you.

Old November 19th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Which of course is awful, that decision should be up to the
landlord/owner of the pub.

A pub is a workplace. I doubt that any employer would make themselves
liable to claims for health injury, which would undoubtedly follow if a
ban were not introduced in pubs but everywhere else.

E.
Old November 22nd 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

On 17/11/2006 20:51, Christian Hansen wrote:
I am working near Victoria now and when I go to the station to get lunch I'm
often reminded that smoking is still permitted in railway stations.

However, I was wondering if when smoking is banned in pubs and the like next
year will it be banned in railway stations as well? I've done a google but
haven't had any joy.

Anyone know or can point me to a source of information?

P.S. I don't want to start a smoking flame-war; I have my opinions about
smoking but I'll keep them to myself.

You could have a look at the Scottish set-up if you want an idea of what
might be.

From memory its no smoking on any station with more than 75% covering.
GNER are always very keen to inform pax its illegal to smoke anywhere in
Scotland and on any station. AFAIK this is *not* the case, but GNER like
to do there bit.

I don't have any links to hand, but I'm sure google will dig something
up for you.
Old November 22nd 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
MaxB wrote:

It's not permitted ANYWHERE on Stratford Station - even the overly draughty
upstairs bits! Presumably because tube trains use the same platforms.

It's not permitted anywhere on Stratford station as it's managed by
London Underground, and has been since the Jubilee Line Extension opened.

West Ham is the same; smoking is not permitted on the c2c or NLL
platforms.

I wonder if TfL will ban smoking on the ELLX as well.

Old December 2nd 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:37:19 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

MaxB wrote:

It's not permitted ANYWHERE on Stratford Station - even the overly draughty
upstairs bits! Presumably because tube trains use the same platforms.

It's not permitted anywhere on Stratford station as it's managed by
London Underground, and has been since the Jubilee Line Extension opened.

I looked at the government documentation coming out of the announcement that
the ban is to begin on July 1, 2007, and discovered that, indeed, it covered
public transport.

London Liverpool Street station is already covered as it is officially
underground (below street level) and smoking in underground stations is
already banned. Many people do not realise this, but I've never seen someone
actually be cited for smoking in it, although I've seen plenty of people
smoking in it.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
www.christianphansen.com or http://chrishansenhome.livejournal.com
Old December 2nd 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Frimberley wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:51:54 +0000, Christian Hansen
wrote:

I am working near Victoria now and when I go to the station to get lunch I'm
often reminded that smoking is still permitted in railway stations.

However, I was wondering if when smoking is banned in pubs and the like next
year will it be banned in railway stations as well? I've done a google but
haven't had any joy.

Unfortunately I think it will be enforced about as much as the ban on
the use of mobile phones whilst driving is, i.e. the odd show trial
but basically just another piece of law that'll be completely
forgotten about after a month or so.

It might be better enforced in small venues like pubs and restaurants
where licencees and their staff can theoretically be punished, but
that said, go to some of the pubs in Watford or many other city
centres and see how well age laws are enforced - i.e. barely.

I was in Edinburgh recently and the air in the pub seemed very fresh,
so the ban is working there.

Old December 2nd 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in
ps.com:

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that the landlords of the 200 pubs that have closed in Scotland
since the ban because they were no longer making sufficient profit to
warrant staying open will disagree with you. As would I.

In Spain they tried to introduce a ban last year but it failed - they now
have a voluntary system: Bars over 200 square metres have to have a no
smoking area (or can choose to be totally no-smoking), bars under 200
square metres can decide whether to be EITHER smoking or non-smoking and to
put up clear signage. Absolutely brilliant idea. People have a choice.

Because children are no longer (meant to be) able to go to them if they're
all smoking, this has meant that there have been plenty of pubs and bars in
Spain that cater for non-smokers (normally ones that have always been
popular with families) and plenty that cater for smokers (normally ones
where the landlord is also a smoker, or ones where kids don't tend to
frequent).

Which is excellent, as it also means that smokers can enjoy pubs and bars
without screaming kids making a nuisance of themselves. I dare say some
non-smokers will start coming to the smoking bars for a quiet drink! :-))

I don't think it will be anywhere near as well observed here in England as
it has been in Scotland and Ireland...

Old December 3rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:54:13 -0000, wrote:

I was in Edinburgh recently and the air in the pub seemed very fresh,
so the ban is working there.

I was in Dublin recently and the air in the pub stank of stale beer and
B.O.
So the ban is working there.

--
Fig