Old November 17th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Question on smoking in railway stations

I am working near Victoria now and when I go to the station to get lunch I'm
often reminded that smoking is still permitted in railway stations.

However, I was wondering if when smoking is banned in pubs and the like next
year will it be banned in railway stations as well? I've done a google but
haven't had any joy.

Anyone know or can point me to a source of information?

P.S. I don't want to start a smoking flame-war; I have my opinions about
smoking but I'll keep them to myself.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com

Old November 17th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:51:54 +0000, Christian Hansen
wrote:

I am working near Victoria now and when I go to the station to get lunch I'm
often reminded that smoking is still permitted in railway stations.

It's permitted in *most* *mainline* stations. Some are covered by the
Fire Precaution legislation - Liverpool St and Birmingham New St are two
that spring to mind. The remodelled St Pancras will be completely non
smoking when Eurostar arrives there. The Tube and DLR have a complete
ban IIRC.

However, I was wondering if when smoking is banned in pubs and the like next
year will it be banned in railway stations as well? I've done a google but
haven't had any joy.

I have no idea at all but it's an interesting question.

Anyone know or can point me to a source of information?

This is the Government consultation document.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/13/73/26/04137326.pdf

--
Paul C

Old November 17th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I am working near Victoria now and when I go to the station to get lunch I'm
often reminded that smoking is still permitted in railway stations.

However, I was wondering if when smoking is banned in pubs and the like next
year will it be banned in railway stations as well? I've done a google but
haven't had any joy.

Unfortunately I think it will be enforced about as much as the ban on
the use of mobile phones whilst driving is, i.e. the odd show trial
but basically just another piece of law that'll be completely
forgotten about after a month or so.

It might be better enforced in small venues like pubs and restaurants
where licencees and their staff can theoretically be punished, but
that said, go to some of the pubs in Watford or many other city
centres and see how well age laws are enforced - i.e. barely.
Old November 18th 06, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Whilst I feel the law on driving with mobile phones could easily be enforced
(remember the law on seatbelts...), I think the smoking ban is perfectly
enforced in Scotland and I see no reason why it won't be likewise in
England.

Michael

Old November 18th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Christian Hansen" wrote in
message ...
I am working near Victoria now and when I go to the station to get lunch
I'm
often reminded that smoking is still permitted in railway stations.

However, I was wondering if when smoking is banned in pubs and the like
next
year will it be banned in railway stations as well? I've done a google but
haven't had any joy.

Anyone know or can point me to a source of information?

P.S. I don't want to start a smoking flame-war; I have my opinions about
smoking but I'll keep them to myself.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
|http://www.christianphansen.com or
|http://www.livejournal.com/users/chrishansenhome

It's not permitted ANYWHERE on Stratford Station - even the overly draughty
upstairs bits! Presumably because tube trains use the same platforms.

MaxB

Old November 18th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MaxB wrote:

It's not permitted ANYWHERE on Stratford Station - even the overly draughty
upstairs bits! Presumably because tube trains use the same platforms.

It's not permitted anywhere on Stratford station as it's managed by
London Underground, and has been since the Jubilee Line Extension opened.

Cheers,

Barry
Old November 18th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Frimberley wrote:
Unfortunately I think it will be enforced about as much as the ban on
the use of mobile phones whilst driving is, i.e. the odd show trial
but basically just another piece of law that'll be completely
forgotten about after a month or so.

Contrary to popular belief, and seemingly unknown to journalists,
Ireland first introduced legislation enabling restrictions on smoking
nearly twenty years ago. It was not fully enabled until the 1st January
1996, where it prohibited smoking in many public places including
waiting rooms in railway and bus stations. It was widely flouted and
rarely enforced.

The well known 2004 legislation in Ireland relates to smoking in the
*workplace*. It carries with it more weight than a generic public space
ban as it is effectively a right to a smoke-free environment at work.
This seems to be a more widely acceptable restriction although attitudes
to smoking have also changed somewhat since 1996.

As the UK legislation is an enclosed public space ban, I suspect you are
correct and it will not be supported or enforced as strongly as an
explicit workplace ban probably would.

ESB
Old November 18th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ernst S Blofeld wrote:
As the UK legislation is an enclosed public space ban,

England and Wales, rather.

ESB
Old November 18th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's permitted in *most* *mainline* stations. Some are covered by the
Fire Precaution legislation - Liverpool St and Birmingham New St are two
that spring to mind. The remodelled St Pancras will be completely non
smoking when Eurostar arrives there. The Tube and DLR have a complete
ban IIRC.

St. Pancras is already no smoking (as of last Monday).
They decided to introduce a complete ban early.

--
Peter

Old November 18th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

i was hoping that they might stick to banning it in enclosed spaces
(like pubs), but i read in the paper the other day that a london
council has already banned their staff from taking fag breaks - even
when they went outside the building.

the same story mentioned that the council was even pondering banning
smoking in council houses!