Old November 23rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Noises on Met line trains

What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met line?
It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem to be related
to propelling the train?

Old November 23rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thunderbug wrote:
What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met line?
It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem to be related
to propelling the train?

I think it is the air compressors for the brakes and doors ( I have
read something about this before ).

Old November 23rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com
Thunderbug wrote:
What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met
line? It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem
to be related to propelling the train?

I think it is the air compressors for the brakes and doors ( I have
read something about this before ).

All Underground trains have air compressers, but they are particularly
noisy on the elderly A stock. I can't remember if they're on all the
cars, or just the trailers.

Old November 23rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nigel Pendse
writes

What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met
line? It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem
to be related to propelling the train?

I think it is the air compressors for the brakes and doors ( I have
read something about this before ).

All Underground trains have air compressers, but they are particularly
noisy on the elderly A stock. I can't remember if they're on all the
cars, or just the trailers.

Compressors are just fitted to trailers on LUL stock.
Old November 24th 06, 02:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Compressors are just fitted to trailers on LUL stock.

Are there trailers on the Central Line?

Old November 24th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Compressors are just fitted to trailers on LUL stock.

Are there trailers on the Central Line?

Good point. I'm not familiar enough with 92 stock to remember that
(although that might be changing soon)
Old November 24th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:30:01 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met
line? It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem
to be related to propelling the train?

I think it is the air compressors for the brakes and doors ( I have
read something about this before ).

All Underground trains have air compressers, but they are particularly
noisy on the elderly A stock. I can't remember if they're on all the
cars, or just the trailers.

Compressors are just fitted to trailers on LUL stock.

Which, on the Met, are carriages 2, 3, 6, and 7.
Old November 24th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thunderbug wrote:
What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met line?
It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem to be related
to propelling the train?

It's the elastic band being wound up that propels the trains. It's the
same on the East London line.

--
Paul
Old November 24th 06, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

Which, on the Met, are carriages 2, 3, 6, and 7.

They are the 6xxx series vehicles. Each 4-car unit is formed by two pairs of
cars, one motored driving vehicle (5xxx series) and one trailer vehicle,
with compressors (6xxx series). Not all of the driving motors are OPO
fitted, those that aren't can be easily identified as the front ends
continue the paint scheme carried on the sides of the vehicles, rather than
being painted red.

Old November 24th 06, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thunderbug wrote:
What is the motor-type noise that comes from under trains on the Met line?
It's obviously something that spins around but it doesn't seem to be related
to propelling the train?

If it was this morning it was probably the wheels locking up or
spinning, I couldn't get the Chesham Shuttle faster than 25mph on its
way up there, and was braking for the next station when I did!