Old August 6th 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

Default New Met Line Trains

I heard a story that new Met Trains are going to have a form of
air-conditioning fitted (although for obvious reasons it won't work
underground). Does this mean the Met Line is finally getting new trains
(that don't squeak?)
--
CJG

Old August 6th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on Wed, 6 Aug 2003 -
I heard a story that new Met Trains are going to have a form of
air-conditioning fitted (although for obvious reasons it won't work
underground). Does this mean the Met Line is finally getting new trains
(that don't squeak?)

New trains are planned and yes I heard to they would have a form of air
conditioning. There are plans to standardise the stock on the Met,
Circle and District. I believe we won't actually see any new trains for
several years, so we have to put up with squeaking and more for quite
some time yet.
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it
Old August 7th 03, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Air con? What a joke! Have you heard the noise that those fans make on the
Northern/Jubilee lines when all they seem to produce is "warm air".

Its almost deafening.

Old August 7th 03, 06:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Roger the cabin boy
writes
Air con? What a joke! Have you heard the noise that those fans make on the
Northern/Jubilee lines when all they seem to produce is "warm air".

Its almost deafening.

That's because they are fans and not sir conditioning units. All a fan
does is pump the ambient air around although it may feel a little cooler
as it blasts past you.......
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old August 7th 03, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:31:17 +0100, Matthew P Jones
wrote:

New trains are planned and yes I heard to they would have a form of air
conditioning. There are plans to standardise the stock on the Met,
Circle and District. I believe we won't actually see any new trains for
several years, so we have to put up with squeaking and more for quite
some time yet.

There's a reference on the tube website to these trains having 'air
cooling', not air conditioning. Presumably air cooling reduces the
temperature inside the trains but not necessarily the humidity

Martin

Old August 7th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

--
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
"D-E" wrote in message
"CJG" wrote in message
I heard a story that new Met Trains are going to have a form of
air-conditioning fitted (although for obvious reasons it won't work
underground). Does this mean the Met Line is finally getting new trains
(that don't squeak?)

There shouldn't be a problem getting Aircon working underground on the

Met,
it's very well ventilated unlike the tube lines where the biggest problem
exists.

I thought that there were asylum seekers on the train i was on with all the
banging yesterday!

Old August 7th 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:56:22 +0100 CJG wrote:
} I heard a story that new Met Trains are going to have a form of
} air-conditioning fitted (although for obvious reasons it won't work
} underground).

Air con would move heat from inside the trains to outside.

In a tunnel what would be lacking is a means of moving the heat from the
tunnel to outside. That isn't difficult, just expensive.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/
Old August 7th 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message

I heard a story that new Met Trains are going to have a form of
air-conditioning fitted (although for obvious reasons it won't work
underground). Does this mean the Met Line is finally getting new trains
(that don't squeak?)

New trains are planned and yes I heard to they would have a form of air
conditioning. There are plans to standardise the stock on the Met,
Circle and District. I believe we won't actually see any new trains for
several years, so we have to put up with squeaking and more for quite
some time yet.

For all the sub-surface lines, switching off the air-con when underground
should still help the passengers using the underground sections as the air
inside the train will take time to heat back up again.

Angus

Old August 7th 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

"Roger the cabin boy" wrote in message ...
Air con? What a joke! Have you heard the noise that those fans make on the
Northern/Jubilee lines when all they seem to produce is "warm air".

Its almost deafening.

Yeah but it's MUCH better than no ventilation at all? Have you been on
the Vic line in this weather? Horrendous!!!

Dan
Old August 7th 03, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Roger the cabin boy
writes
Air con? What a joke! Have you heard the noise that those fans make on the
Northern/Jubilee lines when all they seem to produce is "warm air".

Its almost deafening.

I travelled on one of the new(ish) Bendibuses yesterday. I don't know
if they're meant to have air conditioning or merely forced air
ventilation but I suspect the latter as there was no cool air coming
from the ceiling vents, only warm air!

That said, the London Eye *is* air conditioned and that had to be taken
out of service (just as we arrived!) as the air conditioning couldn't
cope (at leas6t that was one version we had from the staff there. The
font line people were getting some grief from disappointed customers,
I'm afraid).

On a more positive note, I was with someone who was wheelchair bound and
the journey from Marylebone to Parliament Square was very
straightforward with the use of the ramps on the bus. In fact, we
reckon that they were having their first bus ride in nearly 30 years!
(Though on the return journey the ramps weren't lowered at either the
start of finish of the journey as a result of pressing the disabled
button; I had to go to the front of the bus to ask the driver to do it
on each occasion, so I suspect that it's a facility not used that often.
But eventually and in this case it "worked for us" and was much
appreciated!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for