Old August 7th 03, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR Station Names Orgins?

Ian Jelf writes
Sorry to drift off but whenever talking about this church I prefer to
find something different to the Hackneyed (no pun intended!) "True
Cockneys" story.......

And apparently it was the bells from St Mary-le-Bow that were used by
the BBC in broadcasts to occupied Europe during WWII.

--
Dave

Old August 7th 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote the following in:

No, that's St. Mary-le-Bow in the City and is the reference point
for someone being able to call themsleves a "Cockney", i.e. you're
only a Cockney if born within the sound of Bow bells. Thus not all
Londoners are Cockneys.

Does anyone know if the Royal London Hospital is within the sound of
Bow bells?

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.
Old August 7th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:

"you owe me five farthings, says the bells of St martins".

Or three, if you believe George Orwell...

Old August 11th 03, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Redonda wrote:

Limehouse from the lime kilns that used to be there.

Fu Man Chu used to dispose of the bodies of his victims in the lime

pits
you know.

He took the Fu Man Chu-chu to Limehouse station :-))

Old August 11th 03, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,aus.rail

Do I understand correctly that they were shipped to Perth, Western
Australia, melted down and recast to make the bells of "The Belltower" at
Barrack Square. In that case, there's probably some flats along Terrace
Drive from which one can hear the Belltower - them's your new Millenium
Cockneys IIUI correctly.

DW

"James Farrar" wrote in message
: Bondee wrote:
:
: One of my mates claimed to be a cockney once. Upon questioning we
: discovered that he was born in Chiswick!
:
: No amount of arguing would convince him that Chiswick is *NOT* within
the
: sound of Bow bells.
:
: Well, *nowhere* is within the sound of Bow bells now, right?
: