Old December 4th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Default W&C This Morning

I've heard some excuses but no trains due to excessive dust following
weekend engineering work. What were they doing exactly? This is the
line that was closed completely not long ago to completely relay the
track (I think) so why didn't they do major engineering work when the
line was closed.
I wonder how much the dust cost the London economy? W&C, that would be
Metronet wouldn't it.

Kevin

Old December 4th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I've heard some excuses but no trains due to excessive dust following
weekend engineering work. What were they doing exactly? This is the
line that was closed completely not long ago to completely relay the
track (I think) so why didn't they do major engineering work when the
line was closed.
I wonder how much the dust cost the London economy? W&C, that would be
Metronet wouldn't it.

They did all major engineering work during the closure, and left some
relatively minor stuff for weekend closures. However, since this is
Metronet, I'd guess that they have left much more then originally
planned.

Old December 4th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

alex_t wrote:
I've heard some excuses but no trains due to excessive dust following
weekend engineering work. What were they doing exactly? This is the
line that was closed completely not long ago to completely relay the
track (I think) so why didn't they do major engineering work when the
line was closed.
I wonder how much the dust cost the London economy? W&C, that would be
Metronet wouldn't it.

They did all major engineering work during the closure, and left some
relatively minor stuff for weekend closures. However, since this is
Metronet, I'd guess that they have left much more then originally
planned.

Is excessive dust the underground equivalent of the wrong kind of snow?

Neill

Old December 4th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dust shuts Waterloo & City line
The Waterloo & City Line has been suspended because of dust from
weekend engineering work.

Trains stopped running on the line - often referred to as the Drain -
at about 0630 GMT on Monday when drivers complained of poor visibility.

A Transport for London spokesman said the first trains to run on the
Waterloo & City line faced a lot of dust after weekend engineering
work.
He said work to clear the dust from the line is ongoing.

A spokesman for maintenance firm Metronet said the company undertook
work to grind the rails in the two tunnels of the Waterloo & City Line.
"As a result of this exercise, a lot of dust was created and this has
taken some time to remove," he said.
"We apologise to London Underground and passengers for the suspension
of service today."

Metronet is responsible for maintaining and upgrading the Waterloo &
City Line.

Old December 4th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

alex_t wrote:

Dust shuts Waterloo & City line
The Waterloo & City Line has been suspended because of dust from
weekend engineering work.

Trains stopped running on the line - often referred to as the Drain -
at about 0630 GMT on Monday when drivers complained of poor visibility.

Just how poor? Couldn't they see the signals or was it just a bit
misty?
Can't see how it matters on the W&C , what are they expecting to see
ahead , a Eurostar heading towards them having taken a wrong turn at
waterloo? AFAIK theres only ever 1 train on one running line on the
W&C.
Sounds like an excuse for the drivers to have the day off.

B2003

Old December 4th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in news:1165247160.601335.83270
@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

alex_t wrote:

Dust shuts Waterloo & City line
The Waterloo & City Line has been suspended because of dust from
weekend engineering work.

Trains stopped running on the line - often referred to as the Drain -
at about 0630 GMT on Monday when drivers complained of poor visibility.

Just how poor? Couldn't they see the signals or was it just a bit
misty?
Can't see how it matters on the W&C , what are they expecting to see
ahead , a Eurostar heading towards them having taken a wrong turn at
waterloo? AFAIK theres only ever 1 train on one running line on the
W&C.
Sounds like an excuse for the drivers to have the day off.

Surely drivers don't only work on one line? Would they actually have the
day off? Would they not simply be put on some other line that happens to be
understaffed that day (there's always one...)

I can't see that being the excuse. That sounds like a pretty unfair
accusation to make....

Old December 4th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
I can't see that being the excuse. That sounds like a pretty unfair
accusation to make....

Pffft , this is london underground drivers we're talking about here
remember.

B2003

Old December 4th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Visability was reduced in the tunnels following Rail Grinding work over
the weekend that meant Train Operators couldn't see the signals. There
is then the risk of a SPAD (passing a signal at danger/red) and the
possibilty of a collision with an obstruction - or a train.
The Peak Time number of trains in service are 4 on the Waterloo & City.

The other problem is that if trains are running, it is possible they
may push the dust into platforms causing breathing difficulties to some
customers, making people's clothes dirty and activating station fire
alarm systems, requiring an evacuation of the station.

With regards to Train Operators - Most if not all on the Waterloo &
City line are also trained to drive on the Central (which they could do
for a long-term shutdown) though today they would be kept in the depot
at Waterloo to run test trains at short notice.
It is near impossible to have an LU Train Operator to be able to drive
the entire network or more than one line as there isn't enough time in
the year to allow this - and yes some lines have fewer operators than
others.
PPP firm Tube Lines run Transplant (the engineering & special trains
division) and their Driver's know most lines but they have less driving
on the same line than LU Operators.

Hope this helps :-)

Old December 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
alex_t wrote:

Dust shuts Waterloo & City line
The Waterloo & City Line has been suspended because of dust from
weekend engineering work.

Trains stopped running on the line - often referred to as the Drain -
at about 0630 GMT on Monday when drivers complained of poor visibility.

Just how poor? Couldn't they see the signals or was it just a bit
misty?
Can't see how it matters on the W&C , what are they expecting to see
ahead , a Eurostar heading towards them having taken a wrong turn at
waterloo? AFAIK theres only ever 1 train on one running line on the
W&C.
Sounds like an excuse for the drivers to have the day off.

B2003

Well the drivers would have to breath the dust in, as well as the
punters, why should they, why can't Metromess get the work that they're
being very well paid to do right?
Old December 4th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
chunky munky wrote:
With regards to Train Operators - Most if not all on the Waterloo &
City line are also trained to drive on the Central

I thought their 'home depot' was Leytonstone... which would mean
that they're all trained on the Central. If nothing else, doing nothing
/but/ the drain would be almost indescribably dulla... you'd want to
escape occasionally!

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.