Old June 1st 09, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Harrow & Wealdstone this morning!

From eHarrow Observer 010609

Harrow and Wealdstone chaos after man runs in front of train
Jun 1 2009 By David Baker
The Watford to Brighton service
WEALDSTONE was bought to a standstill this morning after a man ran on
to the tracks at Harrow and Wealdstone rail station.
The 55-year-old from Pinner was detained by police officers after
narrowly avoiding being struck by a train - having called the
emergency services to report a fatality.
It is thought that the man, who has since been sectioned under the
mental health act, reported multiple casualties but no one was injured
by the 7.38am Northampton to Euston train involved.
An air ambulance landed at the junction of Ellen Webb Drive, Masons
Avenue and the High Street just before 9am, while swarms of police and
paramedics were quickly on the scene.
Passengers and commuters at the station were led to believe there had
been a fatality and 27-year-old Nick Morgan of Chesnut Drive said: "I
noticed there was a man wondering up and down the tracks to the side
but everyone was saying that he had been helped on to the platform by
staff and we assumed that was the end of it.
"But when I was on the train leaving the station the driver said we
were delayed because of a fatality on the line.
"Everyone was a bit confused about what was going on really, it didn't
make much sense."
A police spokesman confirmed that the man who had walked on to the
tracks was the same person that called the emergency services.
He said: "We received a call at 8.40am this morning from a member of
the public reporting that some one had been hit by a train at Harrow
and Wealdstone Station.
"Numerous police officers from Harrow and British Transport Police
attended the scene and on arrival it was cleared that all was normal.
"The person that made the call was spoken to by police and was later
sectioned under the mental health act."
The line involved in the incident was handed back to Network Rail at
9.25am while the Bakerloo line was suspended between 8.45-9.23am.
………………………………......................
………………………………......................
John Burke
WRUG

Old June 1st 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 1 June, 18:09, wrote:
From eHarrow Observer 010609

[...]

"Passengers and commuters"... aren't they the same thing?
Old June 1st 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On 1 June, 18:09, wrote:
From eHarrow Observer 010609

[...]

Network Rail is still reporting someone hit by a train, and when I was
at Euston this morning, it was repeatedly reported as a fatality.
_______________________
Last updated 01/06/2009 14:19
Route Affected Watford Junction, Hatch End, Harrow & Wealdstone,
Wembley Central, Willesden Junction and London Euston; also Watford
Junction, Hatch End, Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central, Kensington
Olympia and Clapham Junction
TOC(s) Affected London Overground, Virgin Trains, London Midland,
Southern
Description Because of a person having been hit by a train at Harrow &
Wealdstone, journeys may be delayed by up to 60 minutes.

To find out how this might affect your journey, please use the real
time Journey Planner, or call TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50.

Additional Maps Harrow&Wealdstone

Time reported cleared 01/06/2009 13:07
_______________________________

The information at Euston was not impressive. All trains shown as
"Departure Delayed" with no estimated times, even when they started
boarding, so no clue which might go first.

The 0846 fast LM (my intended train) was on the board with no
platform, but then disappeared from the board. The 0913 fast LM and
0920 Virgin were on the board with no platforms, but eventually the
0924 slow LM was given a platform (and still "Departure Delayed").
However, that platform was empty when I went to look and when I got
back it had disappeared from the board. By then the 0913 had also
disappeared from the board and the 0920 was shown as cancelled.

I found other places to be. I wonder if it might have been better to
switch off the displays, rather than display nonsense.
Old June 1st 09, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 1 June, 19:27, MIG wrote:
On 1 June, 18:09, wrote:

From eHarrow Observer 010609

[...]

The 09:32 from LBZ was 33 minutes late arriving at Euston (I must
remember to claim). The 09:24 to Clapham was cancelled with no fanfare
at 09:27.

Virgin train was on the fast 'up' platform with traincrew hanging
around.

The announcements on the platform and the train were saying about a
fatality, even at 10:50 when we were waiting for platform space at
Euston.
Old June 2nd 09, 05:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

John Burke

"Passengers and commuters"... aren't they the same thing?

A passenger wants to be there
A commuter wants to somewhere else

Old June 2nd 09, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
,
writes
From eHarrow Observer 010609

Harrow and Wealdstone chaos after man runs in front of train
Jun 1 2009 By David Baker

snip

I was on a Brum to Euston Pendo that got terminated at Watford junction
(7:41 from Int). We were actually told a body had been found under the
train in the Harrow area and I overheard train staff on the overground
service we ended up on (like sardines) saying there would be no trains
for a couple of hours. Apart from those on the train involved I think we
got the short straw, all the Pendos behind us carried on into Euston and
actually my colleague around 20 minutes behind me beat me comfortably, I
got to Euston around 10:25. That wouldn't have been too bad but I then
had to get to Bank on the Northern line and then DLR to East India only
to find the building I was going to hadn't been informed I was coming,
so I had another hours wait wile they sorted access. Still, I topped up
my tan!

There were still considerable delays around 5pm leaving Euston on
Virgin, some cancellations (to Piccadilly) and everything to/through
Birmingham leaving around 15-30 minutes late.

I'm on the 7:41 again this morning and it's very busy, and for the
second time in two weeks I've found a seat in first class with no power
at the socket - argh!

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old June 2nd 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 1 June, 19:54, Paul Weaver wrote:
On 1 June, 19:27, MIG wrote:

On 1 June, 18:09, wrote:

From eHarrow Observer 010609

[...]

What was also annoying was the National Rail live departure boards
website becoming unavailable about 9.30. I normally use this to gauge
the time I leave the house (trains NEVER recover any time on the
expected Harrow departure!!)

The 09:32 from LBZ was 33 minutes late arriving at Euston (I must
remember to claim). The 09:24 to Clapham was cancelled with no fanfare
at 09:27.

Virgin train was on the fast 'up' platform with traincrew hanging
around.

There was a 12 car class 350 formation just south of the Virgin train
on the Up Fast. I assume that this was the incident train. The 09.24
ex Harrow was 40+ late, the 09.54 was 18 late. When I arrived at
Harrow (about 10.05), there were two BTP vans parked outside the
station, but trains had resumed on all lines except the Up Fast.