London Banter

-   -   Is Edinburgh on the Tube? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4838-edinburgh-tube.html)

Colin Rosenstiel January 4th 07 12:55 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In article ,
(David Biddulph) wrote:

Could you give us an example of a year when May Week begins in May,
please, Colin? In the table at
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/so/so_ch02.pdf, the earliest date
for the Friday at the end of Full Term (the Friday of the May
Races) is June 10th.

You talk of Easter being "early enough". The earliest date on
which Easter can fall is March 22nd, but that doesn't occur within
the period of my current list (between 1875 and 2124). A March
23rd Easter will occur in 2008, and Full Term that year will end on
Friday 13th June.

Wrong way round. I was thinking of degree day in July. Can't think why I
wrote June.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Charles Ellson January 4th 07 12:59 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:46:55 +0000, asdf
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:27:23 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

"What side of the river is Westminster Bridge?"

I've had that about London Bridge.

Hm, but if they asked for the station with that name and not the bridge
itself?

Also, I've often heard the area around the station referred to as
London Bridge. As in, "London Bridge isn't a very nice area" or "Guy's
Hospital is in London Bridge".

So it's a perfectly valid question, and the answer is the south side.

It's also quite possible that the person asking the question is not
making the (in a number of cases false) assumption that every bridge
in London goes over the Thames as e.g. Deptford Bridge doesn't.

Ian Jelf January 4th 07 07:03 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message .com,
Mizter T writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

(snip amusing anecdotes)

People (UK again) getting *very* annoyed that the Eye wasn't next to the
Dome and wanting to know "why not" in an often quire aggressive manner.

When you say "People (UK again)" do you mean Brits, or was that a
mistype and you meant Americans?

No, I meant Brits. Non-Londoners with a little knowledge can be
strangely aggressive about such things. I've had similar "complaints"
about Harrod's not being in Oxford Street and that the then Stakis Saint
Ermin's, behind new Scotland yard wasn't "central enough".

On the flip side of all this, in the early days of the Eye they used to
have a member of staff in each Pod. The first time I took a group on,
I wandered if they'd allow me to do a commentary for my group or want to
do it themselves. I needn't have worried, the girl began her
introduction with "Don't worry if it stops while we're up there, they;re
just putting a cripple on downstairs" and ended with "Does anyone here
not know London and want to hear anything or not?"!

When I first went on the Eye just after it opened we had a most
entertaining out-of-work thespian (an emplyment status that seems to be
particularly popular of those whom have a wont to 'tread the boards')

Yes, lots of people in this profession do/have done that, me included to
some extent! ;-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Ian Jelf January 4th 07 07:04 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Olof Lagerkvist
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Nick Pedley
writes

As some of you may be aware I work on that big white wheel in
central London and part of the job includes answering questions as
best as we can. Trouble is that some of them are, well, tricky*.....

"What side of the river is Westminster Bridge?"

I've had that about London Bridge.

Hm, but if they asked for the station with that name and not the bridge
itself?

Then obviously, they'd be right. But they weren't. They wanted to
see London Bridge itself. And they were especially hoping to see it
actually lift to let a boat pass through....... (Yes, I know.)

Adrian January 4th 07 07:48 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Ian Jelf ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

People (UK again) getting *very* annoyed that the Eye wasn't next to the
Dome and wanting to know "why not" in an often quire aggressive manner.

"Because the Eye's just as embarrassed at the Dome as everybody else, and
doesn't want to stand next to it."

On the flip side of all this, in the early days of the Eye they used to
have a member of staff in each Pod. The first time I took a group on,
I wandered if they'd allow me to do a commentary for my group or want to
do it themselves. I needn't have worried, the girl began her
introduction with "Don't worry if it stops while we're up there, they;re
just putting a cripple on downstairs" and ended with "Does anyone here
not know London and want to hear anything or not?"!

We went on it back then, too - and the guide was excellent. Found out what
everybody knew about London already, then tailored the commentary to that
level - which, since most people in "our" pod were local, meant we got a
lot of interesting ephemera.

Adrian January 4th 07 07:51 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

I do however find someone saying they live "in London
Bridge" somewhat absurd, as if they actually live within the bridge
itself (though perhaps in the future they will! - see [1]).

Didn't one of the previous London Bridges have shops/workshops/dingy hovels
built along it?

A google images search for "London Bridge" doesn't reveal much - apart from
a lot of pics of Tower Bridge and the wobblebridge... Bless.

Nick Pedley January 4th 07 08:25 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ian Jelf wrote:

(snip amusing anecdotes)

People (UK again) getting *very* annoyed that the Eye wasn't next to the
Dome and wanting to know "why not" in an often quire aggressive manner.

I haven't heard much about the Dome from the public except in terms of
Londoners complaining about the cost as they do with everything. That could
change next year when it reopens as the O2 (daft name IMHO) and people want
to go there for shows etc.

I think you'd be hard pressed to
find an Eye pod (geddit) with Londoners in the majority these days...

Last year the bosses ran some inhouse competitions with prizes for things
like best-selling retail staff and best team customer service etc. The list
of prizes included free meals in restaurants, shopping vouchers and 'Eye
Pods', which had a few of us wondering where we would put a 2 ton round
glasshouse and how we would get it off the wheel to our places.
Then the penny dropped and we realised they meant those music devices for
annoying fellow passengers on our commutes! Ah, how we laughed....

Nick

Ricardo January 4th 07 08:39 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Mizter T wrote:

out-of-work thespian

The term is, i believe, 'resting'!

tom

And the collective noun for such people is "a wittering of thespians".
One of the "duckies" in our local amateur drama group, when I coined
that expression in our local pub, got really, really upset. Oh, my dear,
pursed his lips, he did, and went so limp wristed that he almost spilt
his half-pint of Old Cobblers, oh, if looks could kill!

Ricardo

;-)

Bruce January 4th 07 09:00 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Adrian wrote:
Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

I do however find someone saying they live "in London
Bridge" somewhat absurd, as if they actually live within the bridge
itself (though perhaps in the future they will! - see [1]).

Didn't one of the previous London Bridges have shops/workshops/dingy hovels
built along it?

A google images search for "London Bridge" doesn't reveal much - apart from
a lot of pics of Tower Bridge and the wobblebridge... Bless.

Look for "Old London Bridge".
tinyurl.com/yc44al
tinyurl.com/yaj29b
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Mizter T January 4th 07 11:10 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message .com,
Mizter T writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

(snip amusing anecdotes)

People (UK again) getting *very* annoyed that the Eye wasn't next to the
Dome and wanting to know "why not" in an often quire aggressive manner.

When you say "People (UK again)" do you mean Brits, or was that a
mistype and you meant Americans?

No, I meant Brits. Non-Londoners with a little knowledge can be
strangely aggressive about such things. I've had similar "complaints"
about Harrod's not being in Oxford Street and that the then Stakis Saint
Ermin's, behind new Scotland yard wasn't "central enough".

How stupid! To which I guess you can only say something like "yes, I'll
have a word with the designer of London tomorrow and remonstrate with
him for his lack of thoughfulness".

On the flip side of all this, in the early days of the Eye they used to
have a member of staff in each Pod. The first time I took a group on,
I wandered if they'd allow me to do a commentary for my group or want to
do it themselves. I needn't have worried, the girl began her
introduction with "Don't worry if it stops while we're up there, they;re
just putting a cripple on downstairs" and ended with "Does anyone here
not know London and want to hear anything or not?"!

When I first went on the Eye just after it opened we had a most
entertaining out-of-work thespian (an emplyment status that seems to be
particularly popular of those whom have a wont to 'tread the boards')

Yes, lots of people in this profession do/have done that, me included to
some extent! ;-)

No offence intended of course, I know a few actors and they certainly
do live the life less ordinary.