London Banter

-   -   Is Edinburgh on the Tube? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4838-edinburgh-tube.html)

Mike Cawood, HND BIT January 2nd 07 10:23 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Ian F. January 2nd 07 10:26 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.

It's the silly season when PRs make up stuff like this to interest editors
who are struggling to fill papers but are devoid of any real hard content.
Don't treat it too seriously.

Ian
(a PR!)

JNugent January 2nd 07 11:27 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

For example, ""What is the entry fee for Brighton?"
becomes understandable when one remembers it was asked
in an rea where the entry fee is £8.

Ian Jelf January 2nd 07 11:36 AM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Ian F.
writes
"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.

It's the silly season when PRs make up stuff like this to interest editors
who are struggling to fill papers but are devoid of any real hard content.
Don't treat it too seriously.

As I've written here before, the one about Windsor Castle and Heathrow
really does happen (and not infrequently, too).

I worked in a Tourist Information Centre for five years and this sort of
things is actually quite plentiful! (And by no means confined to US
visitors, as is sometimes implied. People from other parts of Britain
going to London get some *very* strange ideas about the Capital and its
geography!)

Oh and donning my broadcasting head in place of my tourism one, the
"Silly Season" in journalism has just started. It runs through until
late December 2007.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

The Jinx January 2nd 07 12:37 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

No just bloody stupid.

--
Nathan

Brimstone January 2nd 07 12:41 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

No just bloody stupid.

Only if you know the answer.

Mark Goodge January 2nd 07 01:23 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:41:02 -0000, Brimstone put finger to keyboard
and typed:

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.

No just bloody stupid.

Only if you know the answer.

Well, many of the questions are daft, not because they have an obvious
answer but because they are based on faulty premises. For example, "Is
the British Museum closed during the winter?" would be a valid
question even though nearly everyone knows that the answer is "no".
But "Is Wales closed during the winter?" can only be asked by someone
who doesn't know what Wales is, and that's what makes it daft - it's
not daft because they don't know the answer, it's daft because they
don't know the meaning of the question.

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, lyrics and ringtones
"And so we're told this is the golden age"

Jonathan Morton January 2nd 07 02:02 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.
Some of the "daft" questions are not so daft.
No just bloody stupid.

Only if you know the answer.

The only one in that list that isn't really daft, IMO, is "Do you have
any information on Samantha Fox?". That's a perfectly valid question,
the only thing that's slightly daft is that maybe a tourist
information centre probably isn't the best place to ask it.

The one about the May Day demonstration is permissible. After all,
so-called "May Day" isn't usually on the first of the month - and at the
Universities May Week is in June.

Regards

Jonathan

Jerry January 2nd 07 02:08 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

house.net...

The Jinx wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

[...]

Unless you'd consider her assets to be national treasures...

Mark

allan tracy January 2nd 07 02:09 PM

Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559786,00.html
Some people should have been strangled at birth.
Mike.

Yeah, I lose count of hopeless tourists getting off the London train at
International and asking which way to the Marriot Five Ways.

Stupid irriots!