Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 3rd 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

In message , Charles Ellson
writes

Or (in another context) isn't, but Edinburgh is not in any way within
Glasgow. Bearing in mind that a lot of these questions come from
nationals of a country where for much of the population the next state
is "here be dragons" territory (see also traditional references
concerning "Watford" and "Calais"), it is no surprise that they are
asked.

And, to be fair, England is about the same size as the median US state,
the UK about the same size as a large one. Parochialism works both ways,
and laughing at foreigners who misunderstand our geography is in itself
indicative of a fairly inward looking attitude. I wonder how many people
in the UK are unsure of the difference (or distance) between Washington
State and Washington DC?

"The Difference Between America and England is that Americans think 100
years is a long time, while the English think 100 miles is a long way"

The quote from the article was actually "What Tube line runs to
Edinburgh?". Less dumb if what the questioner actually meant was "which
tube line gets me to Kings Cross to connect with the train to
Edinburgh", or "I'm going to Edinburgh, which way out of this ********?"

--
Steve Walker