London Banter

-   -   Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4866-ken-tocs-end-january-deadline.html)

Mizter T January 9th 07 04:08 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

Selected excerpts follow:

----------

The main gap in payments on Oyster card remains on surface rail where the
train operating companies are yet to accept Oyster pre-pay. This affects
180,000 passengers a day.

In May 2006, the Mayor offered a funding package of £20m to the train
operators, which will finance the technology to accept the pay as you go
system to be bought and installed at every station in Zones 1-6.
The companies have until the 31 January to accept this offer.

[...]

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, said: "Around three quarters of
journeys on London's buses and Underground are now paid for by Oyster card
compared to only five per cent by cash - bringing huge time savings to
passengers and the transport system.

"Ten million Oyster cards have now been taken out by the public.

"But most of the train operating companies still continue to deprive their
passengers of the benefits of Oyster payment for single journeys with
pre-pay.

"With the introduction of a zone system for rail fares in London, and my
offer to train operators to pay them £20m to install Oyster equipment, there
is no reason why the train operating companies cannot sign up to our
proposals by 31st January.

----------

I wasn't aware there was a deadline to the Mayor's offer to pay for
installation of the Oyster kit, at least not such an immediate one. I'm sure
there are a number of reasons why TOCs might be wary of Oyster PAYG. However
two of the TOCs strongest arguments against getting involved have now been
largely nixed.

One reason the TOCs were diffident - that they'd lose the opportunity to set
their own fares - no longer exists, as the DfT decreed that from the 2
January just gone all London rail fares were be zonally priced. Another
possible reason for the TOCs objection, that of fraud, has largely been
neutered by the fact that passengers using Oyster PAYG (on the Tube and the
few participating NR routes) are now penalised if they don't touch-in *and*
touch-out for each and every journey they make - thus providing a very
strong incentive for them to pay the right fare, and a strong disincentive
to anyone attempting to abuse the system. There are other arguments, but I
don't think any of them are really that convincing, especially when weighed
against the advantages that rail passengers would benefit from.

It remains to be seen whether the Mayor's brinkmanship will win over the
TOCs - we shall see.

TKD January 9th 07 04:15 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

"Ten million Oyster cards have now been taken out by the public.

Given that the Greater London Urban Area has a population of ~8.5 million, I
wonder how many individual customers that is made up of? For example, I have
three cards as they insist on issuing a new student card each year (leaving
the old ones active but with the discount switched off). Other members of my
family have a Freedom Pass and an Oyster for PAYG. I wonder if the Freedom
Passes are included in the figure?

Paul Corfield January 9th 07 05:07 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:08:04 -0000, "Mizter T"
wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

The full release on the Mayor's site is a tad more revealing and also
includes a wonderfully inaccurate statistic about gate throughput.

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...eleaseid=10389

[snip]

I wasn't aware there was a deadline to the Mayor's offer to pay for
installation of the Oyster kit, at least not such an immediate one. I'm sure
there are a number of reasons why TOCs might be wary of Oyster PAYG. However
two of the TOCs strongest arguments against getting involved have now been
largely nixed.

If you think about it it does make sense to have a deadline but I wasn't
aware of it until today. Without it some TOCs would "negotiate" until
their franchises expired when it will become mandatory upon reletting by
the DfT.

One reason the TOCs were diffident - that they'd lose the opportunity to set
their own fares - no longer exists, as the DfT decreed that from the 2
January just gone all London rail fares were be zonally priced. Another
possible reason for the TOCs objection, that of fraud, has largely been
neutered by the fact that passengers using Oyster PAYG (on the Tube and the
few participating NR routes) are now penalised if they don't touch-in *and*
touch-out for each and every journey they make - thus providing a very
strong incentive for them to pay the right fare, and a strong disincentive
to anyone attempting to abuse the system. There are other arguments, but I
don't think any of them are really that convincing, especially when weighed
against the advantages that rail passengers would benefit from.

I think you might be underestimating the issues the TOCs have. This is
about money and information about customers - both crucial to TOCs.
Issues such as apportionment, settlement, commission, equipment
maintenance / reliability, card management and usage / customer data
were big issues years ago. Now the thing is real and working and
passengers are voting with their feet in some cases TOCs will be feeling
the effects of Oyster. For those not under the DfT "cosh" of new
franchises they have a lot to play for and I suspect they are testing to
see whether £20m can be made to become £30-40m. Ken is at risk of making
himself a hostage to fortune as he does not have the power to compel
acceptance and there are legally binding agreements sitting in the
background that have to be dealt with if we are not to see things get
worse rather than better.

It remains to be seen whether the Mayor's brinkmanship will win over the
TOCs - we shall see.

Indeed it does. I hope we get to the right place with this but I suspect
there'll be no settlement until the very last minute.
--
Paul C

James Farrar January 9th 07 06:54 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

The full release on the Mayor's site is a tad more revealing and also
includes a wonderfully inaccurate statistic about gate throughput.

I can see how they came up with the numbers, but it certainly doesn't
apply to the newest gates (as at KXSP, Marylebone NR etc.)

asdf January 9th 07 07:25 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:08:04 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

"Almost three times as many passengers can pass an Underground payment
gate using Oyster card as can using printed tickets - 40 a minute
compared to 15 a minute."

That's funny - when using a paper ticket I just shove it straight in,
whereas with Oyster I hang back and wait for the previous person to go
through and the gates to close first, in case I pick up a £4 charge.

Paul Corfield January 9th 07 08:51 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

The full release on the Mayor's site is a tad more revealing and also
includes a wonderfully inaccurate statistic about gate throughput.

I can see how they came up with the numbers, but it certainly doesn't
apply to the newest gates (as at KXSP, Marylebone NR etc.)

You can? Please tell me.

I know what the numbers are as I used to test the gates, know the design
spec and used to calculate all the gate quantities for LU stations. I
can tell you that 15 people per minute for magnetic tickets is utterly
wrong while 40 for Oyster only is pushing the upper limit of what is
possible given the western sense of personal space.

Gates of alternative designs on systems in the far east can handle far
more. There is a different sense of personal space in places like Taipei
and Tokyo where crush loading is more readily accepted.
--
Paul C

d January 10th 07 12:41 AM

"asdf" wrote in message
[...]

Just wait for the light to go orange, and you can pass. It never screws up,
and if it would, it would behave like paper tickets, and close before you
could get through, or at least give you a fair chance to not enter and
correct it. But, as I say, I've yet to have it happen to me, and I've been
using oyster PAYG since the beginning.

But please, feel free to congest the gates. It really helps, I hear.

James Farrar January 10th 07 06:12 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

The full release on the Mayor's site is a tad more revealing and also
includes a wonderfully inaccurate statistic about gate throughput.

I can see how they came up with the numbers, but it certainly doesn't
apply to the newest gates (as at KXSP, Marylebone NR etc.)

You can? Please tell me.

Hmm, on further review...

I know what the numbers are as I used to test the gates, know the design
spec and used to calculate all the gate quantities for LU stations. I
can tell you that 15 people per minute for magnetic tickets is utterly
wrong

That is too low. It doesn't take 4s to activate a gate.

while 40 for Oyster only is pushing the upper limit of what is
possible given the western sense of personal space.

I think that's based on how long it takes to read the card and return
to a state able to accept the next card being 1.5s - I don't know if
this is accurate, but it's plausible.

James Farrar January 10th 07 06:13 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:25:46 +0000, asdf
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:08:04 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

"Almost three times as many passengers can pass an Underground payment
gate using Oyster card as can using printed tickets - 40 a minute
compared to 15 a minute."

That's funny - when using a paper ticket I just shove it straight in,
whereas with Oyster I hang back and wait for the previous person to go
through and the gates to close first, in case I pick up a £4 charge.

Then you're wasting your time and throwing away a clear benefit of
Oyster. As soon as the light goes orange, you can touch in/out. As
soon as the light goes green, you can go through the gate, knowing
that your card has been read and accepted.

Paul Corfield January 10th 07 06:42 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

The full release on the Mayor's site is a tad more revealing and also
includes a wonderfully inaccurate statistic about gate throughput.

I can see how they came up with the numbers, but it certainly doesn't
apply to the newest gates (as at KXSP, Marylebone NR etc.)

You can? Please tell me.

Hmm, on further review...

I did wonder if I'd missed something.

I know what the numbers are as I used to test the gates, know the design
spec and used to calculate all the gate quantities for LU stations. I
can tell you that 15 people per minute for magnetic tickets is utterly
wrong

That is too low. It doesn't take 4s to activate a gate.

25ppm is the planning capacity per walkway.

while 40 for Oyster only is pushing the upper limit of what is
possible given the western sense of personal space.

I think that's based on how long it takes to read the card and return
to a state able to accept the next card being 1.5s - I don't know if
this is accurate, but it's plausible.

I've seen (and taken part in) a demonstration at Cubic's UK offices
where we got just under 40 people a minute through a gate. The paddles
never moved as the ticket transport / target was permanently activated
and thus no instruction to close was given.
--
Paul C

Richard J. January 10th 07 08:48 PM

wrote:

"Almost three times as many passengers can pass an Underground
payment gate using Oyster card as can using printed tickets -
40 a minute compared to 15 a minute."

That's funny - when using a paper ticket I just shove it straight
in, whereas with Oyster I hang back and wait for the previous
person to go through and the gates to close first, in case I pick
up a £4 charge.

Then you're wasting your time and throwing away a clear benefit of
Oyster. As soon as the light goes orange, you can touch in/out. As
soon as the light goes green, you can go through the gate, knowing
that your card has been read and accepted.

Not sure about that. I've been caught out in what I believe is this
scenario:

The person ahead of me has his ticket (paper or Oyster) rejected. The
light goes red, and the gate stays shut. I then arrive at the gate, see
that the light is (by then) orange, touch in my Oyster, and then realise
that there is a person trapped in front of me. But the gates then open
(for me), the person ahead of me goes through, and the gates then shut
before I can pass through. Further attempts to read my Oyster are
rejected.

Your advice should be to touch in on orange only if the light was
previously green, or if no-one is between you and the gate.
--
Richard J.

Jonathan Morris January 10th 07 09:09 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

Richard J. wrote:
snip But the gates then open (for me), the person ahead of me goes through, and the
gates then shut before I can pass through. Further attempts to read my Oyster are
rejected.

Oh yes, that's happened a lot - to me and others - around me when it's
very busy. The other problem is the people 'doubling up' deliberately,
as the new style gates are perfect at letting fare evaders through.
These are the same gates in use now on FCC GN (first being at Stevenage
and one other station). The evaders are already managing to get past
quite successfully, not helped by the fact that inspectors and other
staff will generally turn a blind eye to anyone they feel may assault
them. But that's a discussion best saved for another thread...!

To keep on topic, I'd like to see FCC sign up. I see Chiltern has
signed up (is it for the whole of their network?). In the long run, I
look forward to a standardised smartcard that will work outside of Zone
6 too.

Jonathan

[email protected] January 10th 07 09:25 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:
I know what the numbers are as I used to test the gates, know the design
spec and used to calculate all the gate quantities for LU stations. I
can tell you that 15 people per minute for magnetic tickets is utterly
wrong while 40 for Oyster only is pushing the upper limit of what is
possible given the western sense of personal space.

So, why then did Kings Cross (and a few others) get the worlds slowest
ticket gates. The old gates are simple, you put the ticket in, the
ticket pops out, you grab and walk.

Kings Cross firstly hates paper tickets (I do a lot of out of boundary
x-london rail tickets) - Many gates don't take them, others are hard
work. And secondly, after you've taken the ticket, or touched an
oyster, the gate waits half a second before opening. I used to reguarly
walk into them! Now I conciously wait for the damn thing. Gates should
be getting faster and more reliable - Those at Kings Cross (and
everywhere else with that design) are much slower.

Why were they allowed to go into service?

What is planned to be done about it?

regards
HN28

Paul Scott January 10th 07 09:36 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
oups.com...

To keep on topic, I'd like to see FCC sign up. I see Chiltern has
signed up (is it for the whole of their network?). In the long run, I
look forward to a standardised smartcard that will work outside of Zone
6 too.

Bear in mind one of the reasons the TOCs didn't go for Oyster is that the
government was pushing a different standardised smartcard (ITSO format),
and Oyster wasn't compatible with it.

Don't know what the current deal is on interoperability for smartcards,
though I think in the new SWT franchise for example they are not compelled
to introduce 'Oyster' as such, only a smartcard.

Paul

Paul Corfield January 10th 07 09:44 PM

On 10 Jan 2007 14:25:04 -0800, wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
I know what the numbers are as I used to test the gates, know the design
spec and used to calculate all the gate quantities for LU stations. I
can tell you that 15 people per minute for magnetic tickets is utterly
wrong while 40 for Oyster only is pushing the upper limit of what is
possible given the western sense of personal space.

So, why then did Kings Cross (and a few others) get the worlds slowest
ticket gates. The old gates are simple, you put the ticket in, the
ticket pops out, you grab and walk.

Oh not again.

Kings Cross firstly hates paper tickets (I do a lot of out of boundary
x-london rail tickets) - Many gates don't take them, others are hard
work. And secondly, after you've taken the ticket, or touched an
oyster, the gate waits half a second before opening. I used to reguarly
walk into them! Now I conciously wait for the damn thing. Gates should
be getting faster and more reliable - Those at Kings Cross (and
everywhere else with that design) are much slower.

Why were they allowed to go into service?

No idea - I don't work on Prestige and haven't done for years.

Mizter T January 10th 07 10:14 PM

Paul Scott wrote:

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
oups.com...

To keep on topic, I'd like to see FCC sign up. I see Chiltern has
signed up (is it for the whole of their network?). In the long run, I
look forward to a standardised smartcard that will work outside of Zone
6 too.

Bear in mind one of the reasons the TOCs didn't go for Oyster is that the
government was pushing a different standardised smartcard (ITSO format),
and Oyster wasn't compatible with it.

Don't know what the current deal is on interoperability for smartcards,
though I think in the new SWT franchise for example they are not compelled
to introduce 'Oyster' as such, only a smartcard.

Paul

From the March '06 TfL press release about the new SWT franchise [1]:

"This means that from 2009, passengers on the on the South West Main
Line will be able to take Oyster ticketing [...]"

....and...

"The specification outlined demands that the successful bidder for the
franchise will:
* Provide Oyster validating or ITSO equipment at all stations on the
South West Main Line franchise by 2009"

However if you take a look at this May '06 TfL press release [2] you'll
see that there are moves to integrate the proprietary Oyster smart card
system with an ITSO system. This is from the end notes:

"The Department for Transport has agreed to fund for upgrades to
existing Oyster equipment in London to make Oyster gates and validators
on the Underground, at major rail termini and on the buses, accept
basic alternative Smartcard (ITSO) products. The expected cost is
around £19m."

Exactly how Oyster and ITSO smartcards will work together in practice
isn't clear - not least because it probably hasn't yet been worked out!

[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/press-releases/press-releases-content.asp?prID=742
[2]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/press-releases/press-releases-content.asp?prID=776

James Farrar January 10th 07 10:16 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

wrote:

[...]

In which case, is it simply a case of someone's typoed "15" for "25"
and the hierarchy has jumped on it?

James Farrar January 10th 07 10:18 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:48:09 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Your advice should be to touch in on orange only if the light was
previously green, or if no-one is between you and the gate.

Granted. I rather assume that people will act to curtail faredodgers'
activoty rather than facilitate it.

Paul Scott January 10th 07 10:30 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

From the March '06 TfL press release about the new SWT franchise [1]:

[...]

Sounds like much more convergence is happening then - in the latest SWT mag
they still simply refer to smartcards - I suspect that some negotiation will
take place and the name 'Oyster' will survive - a bit like Mr Hoover's
invention....

Paul

DaveP January 11th 07 12:18 AM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

work. And secondly, after you've taken the ticket, or touched an
oyster, the gate waits half a second before opening. I used to reguarly
walk into them! Now I conciously wait for the damn thing. Gates should

The new gates are very slow at all locations. AIUI the old gates were air
operated but after station refurbishment these are replaced by the slower
electric ones.

In quiet station times you can easily validate and get to the gates before
they've even started to move. The card reading process is really quick, you
can place and remove the card quite quickly but the return signal and
movement of the paddles is abysmal. It's a fare dodgers paradise, I've no
idea why they didn't pick up on this when they were testing or stop the
rollout of the damn things until it was improved.

Jonathan Morris January 11th 07 01:09 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh not again.

The problem won't go away by ignoring it!! FCC are already noticing the
problem with the new gates on the GN branch, where people are managing
to get through pretty easily.

The gates are very slow to open - and close, which frustrates people
with tickets and rewards those without. If you were involved with their
introduction, you must admit that they're far from perfect.

On the plus side, they do look nice and are very slim (which is useful
for the TOCs that have relatively small entrances in comparison to the
Underground).

Jonathan

Michael Hoffman January 11th 07 02:32 PM

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh not again.

The problem won't go away by ignoring it!! FCC are already noticing the
problem with the new gates on the GN branch, where people are managing
to get through pretty easily.

He already said he hadn't been involved with this for years. I agree
that the slow gates are very frustrating (more so because they are new!)
but perhaps we should address our frustration elsewhere?
--
Michael Hoffman

Mizter T January 11th 07 03:41 PM

Michael Hoffman wrote:

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh not again.

The problem won't go away by ignoring it!! FCC are already noticing the
problem with the new gates on the GN branch, where people are managing
to get through pretty easily.

He already said he hadn't been involved with this for years. I agree
that the slow gates are very frustrating (more so because they are new!)
but perhaps we should address our frustration elsewhere?

Indeed - stop berating the man - he didn't do it!

Write to TfL and/or London Travelwatch instead. And if you're that
miffed actually do it!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/contacts/Default.asp
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/contacts/form.asp

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/contact.php

Paul Corfield January 11th 07 04:37 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On 11 Jan 2007 06:09:31 -0800, "Jonathan Morris"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh not again.

The problem won't go away by ignoring it!!

With thanks to the two posters who have commented already I'll make one
thing straight.

I post here for *fun* - this isn't my job or even an extension of it. I
hope I add something to the group by commenting or sharing information.
If people are going to expect more from me than I can ever hope to
deliver - and it's happened once before - I'll simply have to go. (Don't
all cheer at once!).

While I'm sure it would be lovely to imagine that I'm personally
accountable for everything that happens on LU I'm afraid I'm not. I
can't take ownership of every issue or go round quoting one post from a
newsgroup as some grounds for doing something.

You obviously have an enormous "bee in your bonnet" about these gates
and you should therefore raise your concerns through the correct
channels if you have not already done so.

FCC are already noticing the
problem with the new gates on the GN branch, where people are managing
to get through pretty easily.

I assume you have also complained to FCC.

The gates are very slow to open - and close, which frustrates people
with tickets and rewards those without. If you were involved with their
introduction, you must admit that they're far from perfect.

I have not been involved in Prestige or ticket gates for 8 years. The KX
gates are a further development of the Mk1 electric "slim" gate - I was
involved with that development and while not perfect [1] I think it has
done very well given it was used to extend LU gating and has been used
extensively on the TOCs. The fact I can talk about the gates is a sign
of my elephantine memory rather than knowledge of recent developments.

[1] note that I do not believe you can create such a thing as there are
too many necessary compromises between safety, speed and throughput.

--
Paul C

Ian Jelf January 11th 07 05:16 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh not again.

The problem won't go away by ignoring it!!

With thanks to the two posters who have commented already I'll make one
thing straight.

I post here for *fun* - this isn't my job or even an extension of it.

And most of the "serious" (albeit also "for fun") posters here realise
that, Paul.

Paul's contributions to the group are usually among the most informed
and interesting that we have; it's good to have someone with a degree
of inside knowledge on how systems were developed and why things are as
they are. Indeed, one of the strengths of utl is that it attracts a
variety of people with an amazing range of knowledge that usually makes
for interesting discussions. Other Usenet groups I've been involved
with have deteriorated over the years, while this one still seems to be
both interesting and useful.

hope I add something to the group by commenting or sharing information.

You do!

If people are going to expect more from me than I can ever hope to
deliver - and it's happened once before - I'll simply have to go. (Don't
all cheer at once!).

As you'll no doubt have gathered by now, that's the last thing that
anyone here would want, whatever their views on individual subjects.

While I'm sure it would be lovely to imagine that I'm personally
accountable for everything that happens on LU I'm afraid I'm not.

If it makes you feel better, I recently posted that being "face to face"
with visitors makes me personally responsible for every conceivable
issue in London. And quite a number of inconceivable ones to boot.

So I know how you feel!

Keep posting Paul; utl is the richer for it.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

James Farrar January 11th 07 06:01 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:16:13 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

[...]

Keep posting Paul; utl is the richer for it.

IAWTP, in every particular.

Arthur Figgis January 11th 07 07:06 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

Paul Scott wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

From the March '06 TfL press release about the new SWT franchise [1]:

[...]

I think I've read that it is now do-able. There is an incentive for the
manufacturers to make it work; an Oyster gadget is only of use in
London, but an ITSO gadget could be sold nationally, and even
internationally, opening up a much bigger market of potential purchasers
to the gadget maker.

Sounds like much more convergence is happening then - in the latest SWT mag
they still simply refer to smartcards - I suspect that some negotiation will
take place and the name 'Oyster' will survive - a bit like Mr Hoover's
invention....

In London. Presuambly the names of other cards will also be used in
their own areas (Yorcard in south Yorkshire, etc). While the
compatibility issues does seem to get portrayed as evil TOCs conspiring
against cuddly Oysters out of pure malice, the desire of DfT and the
TOCs to have a national set of open standards rather than lots of
individual incompatible proprietary systems does strike me a good idea.
An awful lot of UK transport technology and planning seems to be a case
of "I wouldn't start from here", and getting a standardised system might
avoid another set of problems in the future.

--

Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Jonathan Morris January 11th 07 08:40 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:
I post here for *fun* - this isn't my job or even an extension of it. I
hope I add something to the group by commenting or sharing information.
If people are going to expect more from me than I can ever hope to
deliver - and it's happened once before - I'll simply have to go. (Don't
all cheer at once!).

Time to go on the defensive here...!

I am not holding you responsible WHATSOEVER, but when you stuck up for
them and other people criticised them, I felt it was okay to ask what
you thought about them. It doesn't matter either way, and it doesn't
bother me /that/ much.

Yes, I am concerned that people can avoid paying their fare as a
result. Part of this is because in the space of a week I had two people
double up on me, but I don't lose that much sleep over it. I'm not
about to pin them down to the ground and place them under citizens
arrest! Maybe I should (!) and the possible upside would be that you
wouldn't be reading this now; I'd be in hospital, or worse.

You got me wrong the last time too. I have an opinion, just like you
do, and it seems to be shared by passengers and officials alike. You
did say you were involved in their roll out so please excuse me if I
didn't see elsewhere that it was a long time ago. I am not fully up to
speed on when these gates first appeared anywhere, although I know
Kings Cross was obviously not the first.

While I'm sure it would be lovely to imagine that I'm personally
accountable for everything that happens on LU I'm afraid I'm not. I
can't take ownership of every issue or go round quoting one post from a
newsgroup as some grounds for doing something.

I have a great deal of respect for you, and your postings. I would have
to say that the gates are about the only thing I have a beef about, so
it's not all bad is it?

You obviously have an enormous "bee in your bonnet" about these gates
and you should therefore raise your concerns through the correct
channels if you have not already done so.

See my comment above. I have written on more than one occasion about
them, but I write a lot (such is life for a journalist) and that
doesn't mean it's a crusade or a personal attack on you.

FCC are already noticing the
problem with the new gates on the GN branch, where people are managing
to get through pretty easily.

I assume you have also complained to FCC.

I don't really need to complain. I have contacts that I can and do
speak to about such matters. I also deal with the PR for TfL and have
met them before (albeit about things like the journey planner service
and other online/mobile services and not so much the actual train
service), but it isn't a big enough deal to start complaining about the
gates. Should I meet anyone from TfL about something else, I may well
slip it in to conversation - we shall see.

I picked on you because you claimed to have some involvement and seem
to know just about everything you need to know about the tube. As I was
mistaken about all the facts, I can simply go away and whinge like
everyone else in private. Doesn't change the fact that the gates are
too slow though. :)

I have not been involved in Prestige or ticket gates for 8 years. The KX
gates are a further development of the Mk1 electric "slim" gate - I was
involved with that development and while not perfect [1] I think it has
done very well given it was used to extend LU gating and has been used
extensively on the TOCs. The fact I can talk about the gates is a sign
of my elephantine memory rather than knowledge of recent developments.

Fair enough.

Jonathan

Matthew January 11th 07 10:12 PM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

In London. Presuambly the names of other cards will also be used in
their own areas (Yorcard in south Yorkshire, etc). While the
compatibility issues does seem to get portrayed as evil TOCs conspiring
against cuddly Oysters out of pure malice, the desire of DfT and the
TOCs to have a national set of open standards rather than lots of
individual incompatible proprietary systems does strike me a good idea.
An awful lot of UK transport technology and planning seems to be a case
of "I wouldn't start from here", and getting a standardised system might
avoid another set of problems in the future.

Oystercards are now included in the ITSO spec, at page 88 of
http://itso.org.uk/content/Specifica..._1_2006-10.pdf

According to today's London Lite, Chiltern are to accept PAYG from June
at the rest of its Greater London stations (Northolt Park to Wembley
Stadium) .

They are also to retail cards outside London.

"We are also happy to announce that we are working very hard with
Transport for London on being the first train company to sell Oyster
Smartcards outside London. We will be launching this to our passengers
in 2007"

C2C are also reported to be enabling PAYG acceptance at Dagenham Dock
and Rainham.

Colin Rosenstiel January 12th 07 12:14 AM

Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

In article .com, j
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

These are the same gates in use now on FCC GN (first being at
Stevenage and one other station).

Cambridge, allegedly. No sign of a planning application. Note that
neither of these stations is run by FCC.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jonathan Morris January 12th 07 08:44 AM

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Cambridge, allegedly. No sign of a planning application. Note that
neither of these stations is run by FCC.

I thought it might have been Hitchin. If they're going in at Cambridge,
One must be installing them?

Hatfield is in the process of getting new ticket machines (foundation
work started this week) and hopefully they'll speed up the installation
of the new fence/wall work to stop people climbing over. An RPI chased
two kids that scaled the wall this morning, but didn't get them.
Surprised she didn't demand the driver hold the train (as done at St
Albans when someone jumped the gate, with the eventual result that a
request went out on the train for police assistance) but at 0818,
delayed trains DO count!!

Jonathan

Mizter T January 12th 07 08:48 AM

Matthew wrote:

[...]

Interest stuff Matthew, thanks for that!

I can't quite decipher from the ITSO specification exactly how Oyster
and the ITSO smartcard standard will work together, but it appears that
a combination smartcard that utilises both Oyster and the ITSO standard
will be possible, which is logical enough.

There's a myriad of implementation issues with regards to how Oyster
would work with a national ITSO standard travel smartcard, but given
that any such national smartcard is a long way off that's not something
to worry about too much. What is important is ensuring that future
Oyster equipment (Oyster scanners on gates and in ticket offices etc)
will be able to handle ITSO-standard smartcards as well - and it
appears that this will indeed be the case.

Also very interesting stuff regarding Chiltern. The bit about them
accepting Oyster PAYG for journeys within Greater London - i.e. within
the zones - is just an (overdue) logical development. It's a pretty
stupid situation from the passengers point of view where Oyster PAYG
can't be used at some intermediate stations.

The situation on the DC lines (Euston - Watford) at Kilburn High Street
and South Hampstead will be resolved when TfL take over from Silverlink
in November, which just leaves the 'one' lines from Liverpool Street up
to / Seven Sisters/ Tottenham Hale/ Walthamstow Central to be sorted
out. C2C accepting Oyster PAYG at Rainham and Degenham Dock is just a
logical development in that they are of course the only two stations
C2C has in the zones that don't currently accept PAYG.

However the stuff about Chiltern offering Oyster smartcards outside of
London is very interesting - so much so that I'm going to start a new
thread about it!

Mizter T January 12th 07 09:44 AM

Jonathan Morris wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

I've no desire to start a spat, that's neither my style nor how things
are done here on utl.

However I would just say that it's possible you've slightly misjudged
the tone of utl - we don't do "picking" on people. I'd add that your
mild invective seems to have been fired by a misunderstanding of the
situation (I'm going to avoid the rather obvious ribbing one could make
about facts and journalists). Paul has not AFAICS specifically stuck up
for the KX gates whatsoever - as he says himself, he was involved in
the development of their predecessor, the Mk1 slim gate. If you search
the archives you'll see that these new KX gates have not got a good
write up (I've no idea if the gates FCC has used on the GN are the
conventional Mk1 or the newer model as used at KX).

I'm quite sure that if someone in LU came up to Paul and said "hey, our
new gates are the bees knees aren't they" he would demur, but I suspect
that the issue is well known about in LU so no-one would have the
temerity to say such a thing!

Anyway, the man posts here in his spare time, in an unofficial capacity
yet has the honesty to both post in his own name (something I've
totally failed to do) and not only acknoledge that he works for LU but
discuss some of the past projects he's been involved in. He has readily
spoken of some of the compromises that had to be made when it came to
gating the whole LU network, of the total reluctance of the TOCs to
even believe that the Oyster system was ever going to happen let alone
get involved in it, of the good and bad aspects of LU's working culture
and many other things. And I'm not suggesting that Paul is a wilting
violet, far from it, but why on earth would anyone wish to finish the
day at work and then sit down to read a load of people giving him a
hard time - especially for something he wasn't involved in. I don't
think I'd stick around.

OK, thankfully my spiel is over! I eagerly await accusations of my
outright brass neckery, considering my relative usenet newbie status
compared to your pedigree ;-)

By the by, I did once have someone try to sneek ahead of me through
ticket gates. They didn't succeed and ended up on the floor, much to
the amusement of the LU staff (and, dare I say, much to my
satisfaction!).

Jonathan Morris January 12th 07 12:02 PM

Mizter T wrote:
Paul has not AFAICS specifically stuck up
for the KX gates whatsoever - as he says himself, he was involved in
the development of their predecessor, the Mk1 slim gate. If you search
the archives you'll see that these new KX gates have not got a good
write up (I've no idea if the gates FCC has used on the GN are the
conventional Mk1 or the newer model as used at KX).

I think if you search the archives you'll see that I talked about it
before with Paul C, hence the 'not again' comment. I was led to believe
that Paul had been more involved than he was, but as I wasn't talking
in a professional journalist capacity (I am not working 24/7), perhaps
I didn't try and establish the real facts as hard as I should! Slap my
wrists by all means!

However, I am not having a go at Paul about the gates. I am not sure
why anyone should take a comment so personally - I didn't think he
designed or built them, nor installed them. I have used newsgroups
since the early 1990s and it's all about discussing things and sharing
opinions. People do, as a matter of course, disagree - but it's never
personal.

Jonathan

Mizter T January 12th 07 01:07 PM

Jonathan Morris wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

I certainly didn't intend to suggest you were posting in your capacity
as a journalist! I didn't realise, as there were no clues in the
thread, that you and Paul had discussed this before.

The only point I was trying to make about Paul - and I've never met the
guy - is that he has put his head above the parapet and declared his
allegiance - well, the organisation he works for at least - and is thus
more liable to having people assail him for said organisations
failings. Others on this groups are, to some extent, in the same boat,
but perhaps because of his visibility he's more likely to be on the
receiving end. I don't know the specifics of why he unsubscribed from
utl in the past (I could search the archives but it really doesn't
interest me that much), just a vague notion that the hassle wasn't
worth it. It would be a shame to lose him from utl, he is one of many
great contributors that makes this newsgroup worthwhile.

Anyway I'm rambling, and given that I would have had no idea what a
newsgroup was in the early '90s I think it's probably time I stopped!
All I'll say is I look forward to future discourse with you and many
others on matters capital transportational here on utl.

Colin Rosenstiel January 12th 07 04:51 PM

(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Cambridge, allegedly. No sign of a planning application. Note that
neither of these stations is run by FCC.

I thought it might have been Hitchin. If they're going in at
Cambridge, One must be installing them?

One might think that. :-)

Actually it is what I heard last year from One.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tim Roll-Pickering January 12th 07 05:14 PM

Mizter T wrote:

The situation on the DC lines (Euston - Watford) at Kilburn High Street
and South Hampstead will be resolved when TfL take over from Silverlink
in November, which just leaves the 'one' lines from Liverpool Street up
to / Seven Sisters/ Tottenham Hale/ Walthamstow Central to be sorted
out. C2C accepting Oyster PAYG at Rainham and Degenham Dock is just a
logical development in that they are of course the only two stations
C2C has in the zones that don't currently accept PAYG.

Don't some of the late night services stop at Maryland & Forest Gate?
There's been a lot of advertising in leaflets (and rather less at stations
managed by "one") that PAYG is not valid there.

Arthur Figgis January 12th 07 07:35 PM

Mizter T wrote:
Matthew wrote:

[...]

Something can handle PAYG for a priv dog travelling first class from St
Ives to Kyle of Lochalsh via sleeper, LU and Denton (with Plusbus) is
probably a long way off, but other more regional smart cards are out
there. A card which could be used on both Tramlink and Supertram or the
Underground and the Subway isn't unimaginable.

[...]

Did I see somewhere that c2c want to have Oyster (/ITSO) valid for their
whole network? About 10 years ago I went to a talk by the then-MD, who
mentioned plans to gate the whole lot and introduce whizzo high-tech new
tickets.

asdf January 12th 07 08:08 PM

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:14:39 -0000, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

The situation on the DC lines (Euston - Watford) at Kilburn High Street
and South Hampstead will be resolved when TfL take over from Silverlink
in November, which just leaves the 'one' lines from Liverpool Street up
to / Seven Sisters/ Tottenham Hale/ Walthamstow Central to be sorted
out. C2C accepting Oyster PAYG at Rainham and Degenham Dock is just a
logical development in that they are of course the only two stations
C2C has in the zones that don't currently accept PAYG.

Don't some of the late night services stop at Maryland & Forest Gate?
There's been a lot of advertising in leaflets (and rather less at stations
managed by "one") that PAYG is not valid there.

No, they pass through non-stop.

However, the stations are still physically on the line of route
between Liverpool Street and Upminster, so if it weren't for the
prohibition, you'd be able to use PAYG to them on 'one' services.

asdf January 12th 07 08:13 PM

On 12 Jan 2007 05:02:01 -0800, Jonathan Morris wrote:

[...]

I think it's worth adding that usually, when someone replies to a
post, they're directing their comments at the group in general, rather
than specifically the poster of the post they're replying to. This is
often the case even when the reply seems rather direct.