Old January 9th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zonal fares - London stations

I asked for a day return from New Malden (Z4) to Vauxhall today (Z 1/2) - so
using the new fare table this should have been £3.20. However the SWT
ticket clerk said that when he put in Vauxhall the machine automatically
issued a New Malden to London Stations day return at £4.00 and that he
couldn't change this. Is this just a problem with the programming or is
there a problem with the zonal fares when a station is in two zones?

Advice gratefully received!

Old January 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:49:26 -0000, Nicks wrote:

I asked for a day return from New Malden (Z4) to Vauxhall today (Z 1/2) - so
using the new fare table this should have been £3.20. However the SWT
ticket clerk said that when he put in Vauxhall the machine automatically
issued a New Malden to London Stations day return at £4.00 and that he
couldn't change this. Is this just a problem with the programming or is
there a problem with the zonal fares when a station is in two zones?

Advice gratefully received!

Vauxhall is a member of the London Terminals station group, so you
can't buy a ticket to it specifically. As you say (almost), there
appears to be a problem with zonal fares when a station group spans
two zones.
Old January 10th 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message

Advice gratefully received!

Vauxhall is a member of the London Terminals station group, so you
can't buy a ticket to it specifically. As you say (almost), there
appears to be a problem with zonal fares when a station group spans
two zones.

Is Vauxhall the only member of 'London Terminals' in zones 1&2? Surely all
it needs to be is in the list of stations which can be used for a
Rail/Underground/Rail cross London transfer...

Paul

Old January 12th 07, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Now resolved - SWT clerk must have done his homework and managed to sell me
a ticket only to Vauxhall, not London Stations yesterday.

Old January 12th 07, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nicks wrote:

Now resolved - SWT clerk must have done his homework and managed to sell me
a ticket only to Vauxhall, not London Stations yesterday.

Interesting. I sometimes travel out from Vauxhall, where I've always
been sold a ticket from "London Terminals", though I haven't yet made
any such journey this year.

If it's a return ticket then it's useful to have the facility to travel
back to Waterloo, either because the train doesn't stop at Vauxhall or
because that's where I'm heading. I shall see what I'm sold in the
future - perhaps it'll be from Vauxhall for shorter journeys/those in
the zones, and from "London Terminals" for longer journeys/those
outside the zones, as perhaps for such longer journeys there still
isn't a price differential between going from Vauxhall or Waterloo.
Perhaps someone with the current NFM might be so kind as to investigate?

Old January 13th 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
Nicks wrote:

[...]

At Vauxhall the ticket machine offered me a fare to New Malden based on the
zone 2 to zone 4 fare - so this will not be from London stations.

Another linked issue for me - I have an annual travelcard which is zones 5
and 6 - so I've been buying tickets to Vauxhall from New Malden - as this is
in zone 4 - SWT clerks have happily sold me 3 tickets this way this year -
however for the latest ticket the clerk said that I need to get a ticket
from Berrylands which is in zone 5 - as he said that my zonal pass is not
valid from the boundry of zone 5 to the first zone 4 station. I suspect he
may be right until the new fares become truly zonal - any guidance anywhere
on this please?

Nicks

Old January 13th 07, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Nicks) wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
Nicks wrote:

[...]

Surely you should be buying a Boundary Zone 5 ticket to Vauxhall?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 13th 07, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Nicks) wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
Nicks wrote:

[...]

I agree with your idea that the OP should be issued with a Boundary
Zone ticket to Vauxhall - though it would be from Boundary Zone 4, not
Zone 5 - the zone boundary in ticketing termonology being defined as
the zone's outer boundary in terms of expanding concentric rings from
the centre. It's confusing maybe, given that logic would suggest all
the zones (apart from zone 1) have two boundaries, but that's just how
it is!

Old January 13th 07, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Nicks) wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ps.com...
Nicks wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the comments - SWT clerk said there were no fares for boundary of
zones
"inwards" to London in the ticket machine.

Old January 13th 07, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nicks wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

I agree with your idea that the OP should be issued with a Boundary
Zone ticket to Vauxhall - though it would be from Boundary Zone 4, not
Zone 5 - the zone boundary in ticketing termonology being defined as
the zone's outer boundary in terms of expanding concentric rings from
the centre. It's confusing maybe, given that logic would suggest all
the zones (apart from zone 1) have two boundaries, but that's just how
it is!

Thanks for the comments - SWT clerk said there were no fares for boundary of
zones "inwards" to London in the ticket machine.

AIUI tickets are available *from* zone boundaries only, not *to* zone
boundaries, but that it does not matter whether the direction is towards
London or outwards. For example, you can buy a ticket from boundary zone
2 to Wimbledon but not from Wimbledon to boundary zone 2 or you can buy
a ticket from boundary zone 5 to Wimbledon but not from Wimbledon to
boundary zone 5.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451