Old January 21st 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Anouncements on bus (was Cross-London Bus Transfer & Discount London Bus Pass)

"Richard J." wrote in news:0HOsh.113595
:

James Farrar wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:52:29 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Oh, joy. Yet more audio assaults.

It needn't be.

Well, no, they don't need to be, but they almost invariably are,
whether due to incorrect pronunciation of placenames, inappropriate
timing of announcements or bad production techniques.

On the Underground, they are much better than they were, and I have no
complaints at all about Emma Clarke's announcements on the District
Line. What current incorrect pronunciations irritate you?

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out, but the
inappropriate inflexions still grate.

Old January 21st 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jan 2007 05:33:35 -0800, Mizter T wrote:

Expecting the driver to make announcements and drive/take fares and
inspect tickets is considered unfeasable

Bus drivers in Oslo do all this. Seems to work well.

The future, however, is automated stop anouncements that use GPS. We have
this on some lines here in Kristiansand.

--
jhk
Old January 21st 07, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Oh, joy. Yet more audio assaults.

It needn't be.

Well, no, they don't need to be, but they almost invariably are,
whether due to incorrect pronunciation of placenames, inappropriate
timing of announcements or bad production techniques.

On the 35, for every stop they announce 'bus stopping at the next bus
stop, please stand well clear of doors', which gets on your nerves
pretty soon - and seems unnecessary since there's an audible beep when
the stop button is pressed anyway. If they restrict the announcement
to 'next stop camberwell green' or whatever then no problem, but I
expect more long-winded verbiage...

Old January 21st 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Oh, joy. Yet more audio assaults.

It needn't be.

Well, no, they don't need to be, but they almost invariably are,
whether due to incorrect pronunciation of placenames, inappropriate
timing of announcements or bad production techniques.

On the Underground, they are much better than they were, and I have no
complaints at all about Emma Clarke's announcements on the District
Line. What current incorrect pronunciations irritate you?

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out,

It has, but the Bakerloo line gets Marylebone wrong.

but the inappropriate inflexions still grate.

The new Central line is worse than the one it replaced, and the new
Piccadilly line one is dreadful.
Old January 21st 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Anouncements on bus (was Cross-London Bus Transfer & Discount London B

In article . 145,
(Tristán White) wrote:

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out

Did you mean Plarstow/Playstow?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 22nd 07, 02:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:47:37 +0100, Martin Krieger wrote:

One thing I don't understand, and which might be a reason for this, is
that while they do excellent announcements on the Tube, DLR etc., there
is no passenger information at all on the buses. When I'm not sure and
ask the driver or other passengers they are usually quite helpful. But
of course if there where some information it would make visitors feel
more sure not to get lost.

Was it ever considered to do announcements on the bus? Is there any
special reason for not doing it?

ISTR being on an 18 about ten years ago which had a dot matrix display
showing the name of the next stop.
Old January 22nd 07, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in news:0HOsh.113595
:

On the Underground, they are much better than they were, and I have no
complaints at all about Emma Clarke's announcements on the District
Line. What current incorrect pronunciations irritate you?

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out,

It has, but the Bakerloo line gets Marylebone wrong.

Btw, what is really the correct pronounciation of Marylebone? Most
people I hear pronounce it "marlebn" (or something like that) but almost
all encyclopaedias etc that I have checked suggest something like
"mary-lee-bn"...
The Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marylebone mention both,
the former is said to be some "common" pronounciation while the latter
variant is said to be correct according to "Marylebone Association".

but the inappropriate inflexions still grate.

The new Central line is worse than the one it replaced, and the new
Piccadilly line one is dreadful.

The DLR is IMHO even worse, maybe worst of all. It sounds far too
robot-like and in addition a very compressed voice.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old January 22nd 07, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in
:

In article . 145,
(Tristán White) wrote:

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out

Did you mean Plarstow/Playstow?

Well yes I did, but Plarstow is how Plaistow should be pronounced anyway...
Old January 22nd 07, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote in
news

wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Oh, joy. Yet more audio assaults.

It needn't be.

Well, no, they don't need to be, but they almost invariably are,
whether due to incorrect pronunciation of placenames, inappropriate
timing of announcements or bad production techniques.

On the Underground, they are much better than they were, and I have

no
complaints at all about Emma Clarke's announcements on the District
Line. What current incorrect pronunciations irritate you?

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out,

It has, but the Bakerloo line gets Marylebone wrong.

but the inappropriate inflexions still grate.

The new Central line is worse than the one it replaced, and the new
Piccadilly line one is dreadful.

There's a few really annoying inflexions - I can't remember where they
are as I try and eliminate them from my memory.

Could Epping be one? I seem to remember being on the Central line and
hearing at every stop "This train terminates at..." and then this
strange way of saying "Epping" almost like she was suddenly asking a
question.

"Neasden" on the Jubilee line is annoying as hell. She doesn't
mispronounce it, but it sounds like she has a gun to her head because
the previous ten times she did mispronounce it. It's just a tad louder
than the rest, with the s in the middle pronounced like a few zzz and
really clearly as though her life depended on it. when the JL terminates
there and you are listening to it at every stop .... this train
terminates at NEEEEZDN ... it's almost equivalent to torture.

No wonder so many people listen to their iPods at full whack....
Old January 22nd 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . 145,
(Tristán White) wrote:

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in
:

In article . 145,
(Tristán White) wrote:

I think the Plaistow/Playstow has now been ironed out

Did you mean Plarstow/Playstow?

Well yes I did, but Plarstow is how Plaistow should be pronounced
anyway...

Indeed. But we're used to that sort of problem in Cambridgeshire, what
with Wisbech, Manea and Quy, amongst others.

--
Colin Rosenstiel