Old January 15th 07, 02:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boys killed by Underground train after spraying graffiti

eastender wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
:

It's terrorism. Its purpose is to let us know that we have entered a
place where the forces of disorder are winning, and law and order
can't protect us. The authorities couldn't protect the train from
being vandalised, and they can't protect us from being robbed, raped
or murdered. Its aim is to make us afraid. Graffiti doesn't have the
potential or even the aim of making the lives of the downtrodden
materially better, and so is not a defensible political act.

Why don't you emigrate to Singapore - I'm sure you'll feel a whole lot
better there.

If you think people who say things which you don't like but can't find fault
with should leave the country, you'd feel a lot more at home in the
Singaporean cabinet than I would.

Old January 15th 07, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"John Rowland" wrote:

eastender wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
:

It's terrorism. Its purpose is to let us know that we have entered a
place where the forces of disorder are winning, and law and order
can't protect us. The authorities couldn't protect the train from
being vandalised, and they can't protect us from being robbed, raped
or murdered. Its aim is to make us afraid. Graffiti doesn't have the
potential or even the aim of making the lives of the downtrodden
materially better, and so is not a defensible political act.

Why don't you emigrate to Singapore - I'm sure you'll feel a whole lot
better there.

If you think people who say things which you don't like but can't find fault
with should leave the country, you'd feel a lot more at home in the
Singaporean cabinet than I would.

Can't find fault with? It's absurd, that is if you're not trolling. As I
said, if you're so unhappy here and really feel we live in a lawless
society, then there are other places you feel far more secure in.

E.
Old January 15th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:

In article . com,
"Boltar" wrote:

I live in a flat in north london and in the last 12 months
we've had thieves dumping a car in our carpark

Oh no a dumped car! Call the marines!

Well given the police normally don't care about them but this time they
turned up in an hour with 2 plods and a tow truck I suspect they done
more than dodged a train fare.

and youths with knives and knuckle dusters smoking pot

Smoking pot! Whatever next - you know where that leads... It's grim up
north London but I didn't realise that it's the end of civilisation as
you know it.

Sorry , didn't you read the bit about knives and knuckle dusters? Or is
that normal around where you live? Mayne you can't read very well,
would explain a lot.

B2003

Old January 15th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

eastender wrote:

In article .com,
"John B" wrote:

I'm genuinely amused and amazed that people here have equated graffiti
to terrorism... it's a scribble on a train.

I think it was a wind up - the alternative is too worrying...

E.

Whilst I might not use the word "terrorist", I would certainly ascribe
to the perpetrators the equally vicious motives of callous contempt for
their fellow man, an "up yours" in spray paint, with an intent to say
"we can do this at will, and nobody can stop us", and the "art" closely
reflects the nihilistic "rap" music and gang culture so closely
associated with it, which advocates violence, contempt for normal
values, idolises sexual and physical abuse of women, drug use and
generally deplorable attitudes that blame everyone else for any woes
they may feel except themselves.

Lots of rap music is not "nihilistic", and has a great moral message many
should embrace. However some does not. Same goes for pop, rock, soul,
whatever. There are bad artists in every genre. Lumping everything
together demonstrates you are incapable of (or unwilling to) think of these
people as individuals.

As someone who prosecutes in the Youth Court very frequently (almost
every day between August and December, in fact) I can personally
testify to the close connection between graffiti, the rap "culture",
drug abuse, contempt for women except as objects of sexual
gratification and racism of a very nasty and violent type. Did you
know, for example, the reason that so many of these youths wear their
trousers half way down their thighs is to "empathise" with the murders
on Devil's Island in New York who were not allowed belts in prison in
case they attempted suicide. That just about sums up where they are
coming from doesn't it?!

No, I think you'll find most youths wear their trousers around their thighs
because that's the popular thing to do. Not everyone knows the reason why
their popular clothes are worn the way they are. Do you know how the
clothes you wear came about? What social factors played apart in creating
and shaping them? Obviously not. Sure, it might have started out as a sign
of respect or solidarity, but claiming that EVERYONE who wears their
trousers in such a fashion is observing such a show only serves to show you
are incapable of thinking of these kids as individuals, but part of some
sort of hive-mind.

Grow the **** up, please.

Marc.

You need some help, seriously.

Old January 15th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:38:28AM -0800, Boltar wrote:

No , the scumbags get the money afterwards once they're in the nick:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

The story in question is about people who were already getting medical
treatment to reduce and eventually stop their use of addictive drugs,
but the prison service didn't permit those programmes to continue.
Given that the drugs to which they were addicted are available illegally
in prisons, withdrawing the treatment that was keeping the users *off*
drugs was clearly very irresponsible.

So are you saying that people shouldn't be compensated for medical
malpractice? Or that only *nice* people should be compensated for
medical malpractice?

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

My mission for this year is to get to the top of google's results
when you search for "Ken Thompson"

Old January 15th 07, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 09:44:33AM -0800, Boltar wrote:

So if I came and painted all over your car/house/furniture which would
cost you thousands to fix , then so long as it some sort of vague
artistic merit that would be ok would it? Shall I get my brushes?

If you do a good job then I'd be delighted for you to paint my house.
It's about due for a re-paint, and to get your art-work to stick you'll
have to do all that undercoat boringness as well.

Thanks!

Computer Science is about lofty design goals and careful algorithmic
optimisation. Sysadminning is about cleaning up the resulting mess.
Old January 15th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Sorry , didn't you read the bit about knives and knuckle dusters?

You were that close to see them? You're a brave man. It's true a lot of kids
carry knives - it's a big problem. But did these kids use them? Mind you it
coudl eb lot worse - wait til they're outside your house with machine guns.

E.

Old January 15th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:

Boltar wrote:

Sorry , didn't you read the bit about knives and knuckle dusters?

You were that close to see them? You're a brave man. It's true a lot of kids

I saw them through my window. They're not the brightest and thought no
one could see them or no one was home as they showed the gear off to
their mates or just thought no one cared enough to do anything since
they'd been there before (wrong - smoking pot is one thing , getting
out weapons is another entirely). So I called plod , who to their
credit actually showed up in a reasonable time but then blew it by
parking their van in the one place where the yobs could see it and
promtly legged it over a nearby wall before PC Dimwit and friend had
even got out (perhaps that was the idea). On the plus side we haven't
seen the kids again since though that could be just because of the
weather.

B2003

Old January 15th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"John B" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jonathan Morris wrote:
You must have done well to turn a blind eye to all of this.

Finsbury Park. And aside from the occasional smokings of weed, drunks
****ing against a wall, and one time when a dickhead in a chavmobile
was randomly throwing eggs at passers-by, I've genuinely not seen or
experienced any crime while I've been here.

I saw a guy steal a scooter cover near Finsbury Park. Oh, and there was
that mad imam guy. That's about it. That whole part of London looks scary
but is as safe as you can find.

dave

Old January 15th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Boltar" wrote in message
ups.com...

John B wrote:
Perhaps I was overly harsh on the original poster - however, if you're
not aiming to be racist, it's probably worth avoiding words that began
as racially abusive terms when describing someone of the ethnic group
that the term was originally used to describe.

Pikeys only suddenly became an "ethnic group" because then they could
suddenly jump onto the racial victimhood bandwagon that people like you
are so happy to cheer as it trundles past into the pit of social
collapse. Most people would cal them workshy lazy troublemaking scum
(and yes I've had firsthand experience of their type twice in the last
5 years) but each to their own.

Tory whose name escapes me). Either you send everyone who's ever done
anything bad to jail forever, or you delay the problem until they
escape. The former is barbaric and ruinously expensive; the latter is
merely useless.

Newsflash - when someones in prison its very difficult for them to
commit a crime that will affect anyone outside the prisons walls.

And it's very difficult for them to give back to society. Prisons are not a
holding station - they're supposed to rehabilitate people. This is not the
1700s. People in prison cost money, people outside of prison make money.
Getting those in Prison outside is of top-priority for the nation as a
whole. Make the criminals not criminals, and you're set. Or we could just
spend tens of thousands a year per criminal, and not even try to help them,
even though poor circumstances are usually the cause of criminal behaviour.

Where the hell do you live? I'm in a not-especially-rich bit of
northeast London; I've never seen any of that kind of thing (I have

Well being a liberal lefty you naturally have your blinkers on so you
wouldn't. I live in a flat in north london and in the last 12 months
we've had thieves dumping a car in our carpark and youths with knives
and knuckle dusters smoking pot in the communal garden on at least half
a dozen occasions. Though I suppose in Cloud Cuckoo Land Avenue where
your house resides I suspect nothing of the sort happens.

OH ****! Crimes that didn't hurt you! You poor baby! Awww! How hard it
must have been, sitting inside, knowing someone's smoking POT nearby once
every 2 months! Oh no! We'd better declare marshall law, as there is
obviously no turning back from youths smoking weed! The end of days is upon
us!

I guess if you see kids and are scared of them, nothing is going to change
that. As has been pointed out before, you're not likely to be a victim of
crime, and even less likely than you were a few years back.

I live in North London too, and I see a much different view of the outside
world. I guess poor evil in my book - it's obviously a different story
for you.

B2003

dave