Old December 28th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Camden Underground Graffiti

How stupid

Old December 28th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr R wrote:

How stupid

I agree - does the Underground have no security whatsoever?!

It must have taken HOURS to do that amount of damage. And, not one
single staff member on patrol throughout that time? It beggars belief.

Returning to a neighbouring thread, I see that the Underground has had
to abandon its ban on photography of vandalism!

Marc.

Old December 28th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Mr R wrote:

How stupid

I agree - does the Underground have no security whatsoever?!

It must have taken HOURS to do that amount of damage. And, not one
single staff member on patrol throughout that time? It beggars belief.

Returning to a neighbouring thread, I see that the Underground has had
to abandon its ban on photography of vandalism!

Marc.

"One theory is the gang walked in from Finchley Road or Golder's Green
Tube stations."

That'd be one heck of walk from Finchley Road, its on the Jubilee Line!
Are there any connecting tunnels they could have used? Could that have
made it an inside job?
Just what happens when the Tube shuts down over Christmas. Does the
last person out just turn off the lights and lock the door? Is the CCTV
monitored anywhere other than the stations themselves. This could be a
lot more serious. Just replace "vandal" and "paint" with "terrorist"
and "bomb".

Neill

Old December 28th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Mr R wrote:

How stupid

Stupid indeed, but unfortunately in the eyes of the crew responsible
for this graffiti it'll count as a big success. One can only guess that
some amount of planning went into this. I fear this incident will
prompt others to attempt similarly audacious endeavours.

I agree - does the Underground have no security whatsoever?!

It must have taken HOURS to do that amount of damage. And, not one
single staff member on patrol throughout that time? It beggars belief.

Quote from the BBC news story:
"The vandals are thought to have entered the station by walking along
the tracks when the network was shut down on Christmas Day.
[...]
One theory is the gang walked in from Finchley Road or Golder's Green
Tube stations."

(Presumably they mean East Finchley station, not Finchley Road.)

Do remember that this happened on Christmas day when the whole network
was closed, so I presume there were hardly any staff about. The failing
is that this wasn't picked up by anyone monitoring the CCTV - the crew
would have had to walk a substantial distance through the tunnels,
passing through stations en route before spending quite some time at
Camden Town station spraying this all on.

When I was in Paris recently I did note with interest that some of the
tunnel lining between Metro stations had been daubed with graffiti (on
line 4). I must admit I don't know Paris well some I'm not au fait on
the graffiti situation over there.

Back to the London Underground - I'm interested to know if the
electrical current was on or off during the Christmas day closedown.

Old December 28th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr R wrote:
How stupid

I'm all for banging up the asbo generation, however
"The attack came after pre-emptive arrests were made by British
Transport Police in an attempt to prevent major vandalism attacks."

Either they were arrested because they might commit a crime, which is
awful, or they were arrested because they had committed a crime -- in
which case why wait until christmas?

Old December 28th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
Mr R wrote:
How stupid

I'm all for banging up the asbo generation, however
"The attack came after pre-emptive arrests were made by British
Transport Police in an attempt to prevent major vandalism attacks."

Either they were arrested because they might commit a crime, which
is awful, or they were arrested because they had committed a crime
-- in which case why wait until christmas?

I took that report to mean that the police had discovered plans for a
major graffiti attack over Christmas (i.e. a criminal conspiracy), but
didn't manage to detain all the conspirators. The lack of effective
surveillance perhaps suggests that they thought they had in fact got the
whole gang.

I wish the BBC hadn't published the photo, which is giving these vandals
the publicity they were seeking.
--
Richard J.

Old December 28th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
C C is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
Paul Weaver wrote:
Mr R wrote:
[...]

They should have left the current switched on.

Old December 29th 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
" writes

Mr R wrote:

How stupid

I agree - does the Underground have no security whatsoever?!

It must have taken HOURS to do that amount of damage. And, not one
single staff member on patrol throughout that time? It beggars belief.

Yep, Al Qaeda could get a sodding artillery piece onto the underground
in the time these guys must have had. It makes a mockery of any kind of
security on the Underground System.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old December 29th 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Yep, Al Qaeda could get a sodding artillery piece onto the underground
in the time these guys must have had.

It's not a very practical place for an artillery emplacement though, is it?
;-)

--
Adam
Old December 29th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Adam Cameron
writes
Yep, Al Qaeda could get a sodding artillery piece onto the underground
in the time these guys must have had.

It's not a very practical place for an artillery emplacement though, is it?
;-)

Yuk it up, then really think about the implications of what was done at
Camden Town. How much of the network is wide open at nights and holidays
?

Someone in the Met should be wearing bicycle clips today :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Boys killed by Underground train after spraying graffiti [email protected] London Transport 92 January 20th 07 08:26 AM
graffiti trainspotter London Transport 57 February 3rd 04 08:27 AM
Graffiti Rob London Transport 7 November 21st 03 04:40 PM
Todays metro, Graffiti artest wanted Rob London Transport 19 October 17th 03 09:54 PM
Graffiti on London Underground Trains - continues Chris Brady London Transport 5 August 7th 03 10:59 AM