Old February 7th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stephen Parascandolo

Some readers may recognise Stephen's name as author of the unofficial
Tramlink web site.

I regret to say that I have just been informed that he was killed today
in a road crash, being the driver of the Vauxhall mentioned in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/6339357.stm.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old February 7th 07, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
Some readers may recognise Stephen's name as author of the unofficial
Tramlink web site.

I regret to say that I have just been informed that he was killed
today in a road crash, being the driver of the Vauxhall mentioned in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/6339357.stm.

What dreadful news, Clive. Stephen was a valued contributor to this group at
one time and, although I never met him in person, I read (and participated)
in some of his discussions. I had heard about an accident affecting Hitchin
on the R2 travel news this morning.

A tragic loss for his family, at such a young age. My condolences to all
those who did know Stephen, he always came across as a very articulate and
intelligent young man.

Old February 7th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
Some readers may recognise Stephen's name as author of the
unofficial Tramlink web site.

I regret to say that I have just been informed that he was killed
today in a road crash, being the driver of the Vauxhall mentioned
in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/6339357.stm.

What dreadful news, Clive. Stephen was a valued contributor to this
group at one time and, although I never met him in person, I read
(and participated) in some of his discussions. I had heard about an
accident affecting Hitchin on the R2 travel news this morning.

A tragic loss for his family, at such a young age. My condolences
to all those who did know Stephen, he always came across as a very
articulate and intelligent young man.

That is indeed very sad news. Stephen's site
http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk/ has always been my automatic choice
for information about Tramlink, and one of its pleasures was that
Stephen's enthusiasm shone through on every page.

Thanks, Clive, for letting us know.
--
Richard J.

Old February 7th 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 7, 2:03 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
[...]

(to e-mail me, swap uk and yon in address)- Hide quoted text -

What a dreadful loss. One feels for his family. Stephen was clearly
an asset to society.

Adrian

Old February 7th 07, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 20:12, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:
Some readers may recognise Stephen's name as author of the unofficial
Tramlink web site.

I regret to say that I have just been informed that he was killed today
in a road crash, being the driver of the Vauxhall mentioned in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/6339357.stm.

I knew Steve since we were children his father knew mine and our
interest in railways caused us to become good friends. Steve's
knowledge of railways, computers and mathematics was incredible, not
to mention his interest in the Croydon Tramlink. We used to get a
Travelcard and travel all over the railways in London and he taught me
a lot of what I know today.

It's been sometime since I saw Steve but we kept in touch through
email and we spoke not to long ago. He was an incredible young man who
was a self-professed 'anorak'. For those of you who want to know more
about him then his website at http://www.sjp.me.uk/ is a testiment to
him.

For those who didn't know about his love for the Trams, you soon would
if you had met him! Nothing happened on Croydon Tramlink without Steve
being there to report it! From construction until just a couple of
weeks before he passed away he kept the website updated with news,
views and photos. It would be fitting if in some way or other Croydon
Tramlink could recognise their most dedicated follower and if anyone
from Tramlink is reading this or anyone who can help could you please
email me. It would be a terrible shame if they did not recognise
someone who followed their system with such enthusiasm and took such
an interest.

Stephen always called me Ant and I always called him Steve, I don't
think anyone else called him that and nobody else has called me Ant!

He was an asset to his family and to society and I for one will very
much miss his enthusiasm and knowledge for Trams and Railways.

Wherever you are I hope there are plenty of Trams to keep you busy
mate, you're being missed already!

Ant
(visit his website: http://www.sjp.me.uk/)

Old February 7th 07, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 22:03, "Richard J." wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
[...]

That's terribly sad news. Like a great many others I am familiar with
Stephen Parascandolo's name as the creator of the splendid "Unofficial
Tramlink" website - an outstanding resource that is the first point of
call for anyone with an interest in the system. Recently I was reading
some of his past posts here on utl and the writing was just as
eloquent and considered as that on the website. To echo Jack Taylor's
comments, he came across as an engaging and unpresumptuous gentleman.

He turned his passion for railways into a career as a signal engineer.
His personal webpage is now a rather poignant read:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dodonet/stephen/

My utmost condolences to his family and friends.

(My apologies if anything written above is at all inappropriate.)

Old February 7th 07, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Feb, 00:23, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
[...]

I agree, too. Very sad news. What will happen to his Tramlink web site
now, I wonder. Is there any chance of someone taking it over and keeping
up Stephen's work?

I hope someone can take it over. But you will never find anyone with
his passion and enthusiasm for the system. I really hope that his site
can be carried on by someone and that Croydon Tramlink will
acknowledge and mark his passing in some way.

Old February 8th 07, 01:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Conductor in Charge of.......... wrote:

But you will never find anyone with
his passion and enthusiasm for the system.

You will never find anyone with his passion and enthusiasm for anything! I
met him a handful of times and was always impressed in every way.

I hope that Tramlink do not officially mark his passing. Although he had
numerous fans in all of the organisations responsible for Tramlink, the
organisations were definitely not his fans. Their relationship with this
bringer-of-truth was always stormy, long before it deteriorated to the legal
threats described at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....d0e884 721309

It would be rather sickening for the organisations that threatened him to
sing his praises after his death, and their silence would be preferable.

Old February 8th 07, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

threats described athttp://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.transport.london/browse_frm/threa...

It would be rather sickening for the organisations that threatened him to
sing his praises after his death, and their silence would be preferable.

This is true.

However knowing Steve as I did there i think the idea of his name
travelling around the Tram system he love so much would be fitting!