Old October 20th 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Stephen Parascandolo

Croydon tram no.2535 was named "Stephen Parascandalo" in a ceremony at
the non-preferred platform of Beckenham Junction tram stop this afternoon.

The name commemorates the founder of the unofficial Tramlink website,
signaling engineer and poster to these groups, who was killed in a car
crash in February - today's naming was on what would have been his 27th
birthday.

Tramlink general manager Roger Harding said the board had been unanimous
in wanting to commemorate Stephen, and the contribution the website -
http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk - had made in "capturing the
imagination of everyone" involved with Tramlink.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old October 20th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
Croydon tram no.2535 was named "Stephen Parascandalo" in a ceremony at the
non-preferred platform of Beckenham Junction tram stop this afternoon.

The name commemorates the founder of the unofficial Tramlink website,
signaling engineer and poster to these groups, who was killed in a car
crash in February - today's naming was on what would have been his 27th
birthday.

Tramlink general manager Roger Harding said the board had been unanimous
in wanting to commemorate Stephen, and the contribution the website -
http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk - had made in "capturing the imagination
of everyone" involved with Tramlink.

Interesting how things turn out - IIRC Tramlink's 'learned friends' were
writing to Stephen at one stage a few years ago...

Paul S

Old October 20th 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
Croydon tram no.2535 was named "Stephen Parascandalo" in a ceremony at the
non-preferred platform of Beckenham Junction tram stop this afternoon.

The name commemorates the founder of the unofficial Tramlink website,
signaling engineer and poster to these groups, who was killed in a car
crash in February - today's naming was on what would have been his 27th
birthday.

Tramlink general manager Roger Harding said the board had been unanimous
in wanting to commemorate Stephen, and the contribution the website -
http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk - had made in "capturing the imagination
of everyone" involved with Tramlink.

Interesting how things turn out - IIRC Tramlink's 'learned friends' were
writing to Stephen at one stage a few years ago...

It was Bombardier, rather than Tramlink, which caused the removal of the
news.

From talking to him I knew a little bit more about what the issue was
than I'll put on a newsgroup, and while IANAL it looked to me like he
could pretty safely have told them to go forth and multiply. But quite
understandably, he didn't want to pick a fight with them.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 20th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

From talking to him I knew a little bit more about what the issue was than
I'll put on a newsgroup, and while IANAL it looked to me like he could
pretty safely have told them to go forth and multiply. But quite
understandably, he didn't want to pick a fight with them.

Thanks for that detail Arthur, I'd checked back through the relevant
articles on the site in early 2006 - he obviously didn't think it best to
make it explicit who'd been using a hammer to crack a nut...

Paul S
Paul

Old October 21st 07, 09:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

From talking to him I knew a little bit more about what the issue was than
I'll put on a newsgroup, and while IANAL it looked to me like he could
pretty safely have told them to go forth and multiply. But quite
understandably, he didn't want to pick a fight with them.

Thanks for that detail Arthur, I'd checked back through the relevant
articles on the site in early 2006 - he obviously didn't think it best to
make it explicit who'd been using a hammer to crack a nut...

The mailing list had some more details.

Part of the problem was that no-one was doing the same thing for
tramways with competitors' trams, and Bombardier was concerned that
making every last detail of the Croydon cars available might give
outsiders the impression that they were full of faults, while the
Alstom, Siemens and Ansaldo trams elsewhere must all be working
perfectly because no-one had a website about them.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old October 21st 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The story reminds me, in a way, of Jordi LaForge.

Rail minister Stephen Hammond out Recliner[_2_] London Transport 11 July 16th 14 05:28 PM
Stephen Parascandolo London Transport 2 February 14th 07 11:30 PM
Stephen Parascandolo Clive D. W. Feather London Transport 20 February 10th 07 04:51 PM