London Banter

-   -   fare dodgers (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4962-fare-dodgers.html)

Paul Corfield February 10th 07 12:41 PM

fare dodgers

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:09:43 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Hello again,

during my last London trip I witnessed a group of police and LU staff
"guarding" the exits of the station. They caught one man just coming
out of the station when I was there, he seemed rather upset (I didn't
see how he got through the fare gates). Also inside the station I saw a
policeman taking down the ID of some passenger. My interpretation was
that they were on hunt for fare dodgers.

The part I don't understand is why they do this in the first place. I
thought the LU system is rather "fraud safe". You can't get in or out
of the system without some form of valid ticket (except by climbing
over the gates or taking a detour to a DLR station), so hunting down
fare dodgers should be pointless. What am I missing?

The event was in Archway BTW.

The LU system is not free of fraud. There are a number of things that
can happen [1] so a human presence to trap people is used. A further
tactic has been to use police (with sniffer dogs) as well because it can
be the case that people dodging fares may be in possession of weapons or
drugs or materials to graffiti the system.

On top of all of that we have the threat of attack to the system.

We have had a reasonable number of these checks at Walthamstow Central
and the police have been kept busy interviewing and detaining people. We
have also had the mobile metal detector / walk through scanner used too.

[1] I'm not publishing details of potential frauds on usenet.
--
Paul C

Paul Weaver February 10th 07 01:13 PM

fare dodgers

wrote:

[...]

Some I can't see how you can catch, even with checks on trains. I
accosted a middle-class fare dodger at my local station the other day,
they had followed through the barrier on my heels so I loudly informed
them that fare dodging was illegal and punishable by a £1000 fine. She
insisted that she had a valid ticket but it wasn't valid until after
09:30 (it was 0900), and it was no buisness of mine, to which I
responded if it's valid, it would open the barrier, and if you're fare
dodging you're increasing my fare and making my station seem less used
than it is, leading to possible closure.

Guy in the "ticket office" (which doesnt sell ticket) wasn't bothered
though, too busy reading the paper.

The guy in the ticket office

Michael Hoffman February 10th 07 01:18 PM

fare dodgers

Paul Weaver wrote:

Some I can't see how you can catch, even with checks on trains. I
accosted a middle-class fare dodger at my local station the other day,
they had followed through the barrier on my heels so I loudly informed
them that fare dodging was illegal and punishable by a £1000 fine. She
insisted that she had a valid ticket but it wasn't valid until after
09:30 (it was 0900), and it was no buisness of mine, to which I
responded if it's valid, it would open the barrier, and if you're fare
dodging you're increasing my fare and making my station seem less used
than it is, leading to possible closure.

Not to mention making you an unwitting accomplice if she does it right
on your heels as you said.
--
Michael Hoffman

Paul Corfield February 10th 07 01:27 PM

fare dodgers

On 10 Feb 2007 06:13:19 -0800, "Paul Weaver"
wrote:

Some I can't see how you can catch, even with checks on trains. I
accosted a middle-class fare dodger at my local station the other day,
they had followed through the barrier on my heels so I loudly informed
them that fare dodging was illegal and punishable by a £1000 fine. She
insisted that she had a valid ticket but it wasn't valid until after
09:30 (it was 0900), and it was no buisness of mine, to which I
responded if it's valid, it would open the barrier, and if you're fare
dodging you're increasing my fare and making my station seem less used
than it is, leading to possible closure.

If, and it's a big if, you detect you are to be subjected to "a lambada"
through a gate then it's quite fun to stop before the end of the aisle
and make loud shouty noises about what on earth is going on. ;-)

This sort of fraud can be dealt with if there are plain clothes
inspectors and police waiting in the ticket hall area. Local staff will
know if there is a prevalence for such behaviour at particular times and
suitable observation and checks can be put in place. CCTV coverage at
gatelines also assists in identifying the problem. I accept, though,
that a proportion of such fraud is opportunistic which is harder to deal
with.
--
Paul C

John Rowland February 10th 07 02:53 PM

fare dodgers

Paul Weaver wrote:

they had followed through the barrier on my heels

I always check before inserting my ticket that there is no-one behind me...
but this might be impossible in rush hour.

Edward Cowling London UK February 10th 07 04:35 PM

fare dodgers

In message , John Rowland
writes
Paul Weaver wrote:

they had followed through the barrier on my heels

I always check before inserting my ticket that there is no-one behind me...
but this might be impossible in rush hour.

If they get it wrong you can find yourself up against a locked barrier
in close proximity to a very dodgy individual. Not the best way to treat
loyal customers and there must be a better way of doing it.

How about a photo card, a weekly ticket and gates with human being on
them ? :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Helen Deborah Vecht February 11th 07 09:21 AM

fare dodgers

"John Rowland" typed

Paul Weaver wrote:

they had followed through the barrier on my heels

I always check before inserting my ticket that there is no-one behind me...
but this might be impossible in rush hour.

I suddenly get very slow and wobbly when I'm tailgated; shame about
trading on toes...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Boltar February 11th 07 05:27 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 10, 2:13 pm, "Paul Weaver" wrote:
Some I can't see how you can catch, even with checks on trains. I
accosted a middle-class fare dodger at my local station the other day,
they had followed through the barrier on my heels so I loudly informed
them that fare dodging was illegal and punishable by a £1000 fine. She
insisted that she had a valid ticket but it wasn't valid until after
09:30 (it was 0900), and it was no buisness of mine, to which I
responded if it's valid, it would open the barrier, and if you're fare
dodging you're increasing my fare and making my station seem less used
than it is, leading to possible closure.

Perhaps for your next trick you could take your public spirited stand
to the GLA offices and do the same to Ken LIvingstone and his cronies
who have raised the price of travelcards to absurd levels. I have
every sympathy with fare dodgers these days since the travelling
public in london is being completely and utterly shafted by sky high
fares and a 3rd world service run by a bunch of thick witted
management and bone idle, indifferent staff.

B2003

Paul Weaver February 12th 07 10:53 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 11, 6:27 pm, "Boltar" wrote:
[...]

Vote with your pounds then, and don't use it! And remember to vote
someone else in to Mayoral office next time, perhaps stand yourself if
noone else fits the bill. You could campaign on a platform of "free
tube travel for scum, but make everyone getting off at canary wharf
pay £50."

There are alternatives, they might not be as convienient, quick, or
nice, however you can
1) Walk
2) Bike
3) Bus
4) Car
5) Not go

Everyone chooses the best value of time/money/convienience for them.
In most cases you don't need a travel card (especially a peak time
one)

Ken's done wonders in moving scum to the buses leaving the tubes, on
the most part (save for the drug dealers and fare dodgers) free for
normal hard working people.

doctorcrippin February 12th 07 11:00 AM

fare dodgers

On 11 Feb, 18:27, "Boltar" wrote:
[...]

It is a shame that Boltar didn't end his comments at Mayor
Livingstone, he then decided to slag the staff that mostly agree that
fares are exorbibant. We are on our feet for between 5 and 8 hours a
day and have to take not only verbal but also now becoming more
frequent physical abuse. If he thinks our job is easy, why not spend a
shift at a central London station and experience the delightful
travelling public. Also if something goes wrong, be it fire, explosion
or any number of possibilities, he will rely on the training of the
staff to get him out. I hope he takes that on board the next time he
chooses to slag off the staff.

Boltar February 12th 07 01:51 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 12, 11:53 am, "Paul Weaver" wrote:
Vote with your pounds then, and don't use it! And remember to vote

Sorry , the don't use it argument is a non starter. Some of us don't
have a choice.

Everyone chooses the best value of time/money/convienience for them.
In most cases you don't need a travel card (especially a peak time
one)

In most cases except when you're travelling to work? Isn't it funny
how travelcards are more expensive before 9.30. However I'm sure this
is purely for operational reasons and has nothing to do with fleeceing
the public.

Ken's done wonders in moving scum to the buses leaving the tubes, on
the most part (save for the drug dealers and fare dodgers) free for
normal hard working people.

Well you have to be hard working to afford the fares now.

B2003

Boltar February 12th 07 02:13 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 12, 12:00 pm, "doctorcrippin"
wrote:
It is a shame that Boltar didn't end his comments at Mayor
Livingstone, he then decided to slag the staff that mostly agree that
fares are exorbibant. We are on our feet for between 5 and 8 hours a
day and have to take not only verbal but also now becoming more
frequent physical abuse. If he thinks our job is easy, why not spend a
shift at a central London station and experience the delightful
travelling public. Also if something goes wrong, be it fire, explosion
or any number of possibilities, he will rely on the training of the
staff to get him out. I hope he takes that on board the next time he
chooses to slag off the staff.

I was going to write a long reply , but I can't be bothered.

3 points:

- Station staff who know nothing about whats going on and vanish as
soon as theres a delay giving us sod all information even over the
tannoy (the Finsbury Park staff seem to be especially good at this).
- Drivers who make exorbitant demands for money.
- Signallers who don't seem to know where a train is going which ends
up sitting at a red light for ages.

B2003

John B February 12th 07 03:34 PM

fare dodgers

On 12 Feb, 14:51, "Boltar" wrote:
Vote with your pounds then, and don't use it! And remember to vote

Sorry , the don't use it argument is a non starter. Some of us don't
have a choice.

Rubbish. Are you genuinely incapable of getting a job within cycling/
walking/bussing distance of your house? Are your skills so niche that
you wouldn't be able to find any employment outside of London?

If not, then you have a choice. And your decision has been to pay for
the Tube rather than make these lifestyle changes. Go figure...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Boltar February 12th 07 03:47 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 12, 4:34 pm, "John B" wrote:
On 12 Feb, 14:51, "Boltar" wrote:

Vote with your pounds then, and don't use it! And remember to vote

Sorry , the don't use it argument is a non starter. Some of us don't
have a choice.

Rubbish. Are you genuinely incapable of getting a job within cycling/
walking/bussing distance of your house?

No , I'm sure could get a job flipping burgers in the local McDonalds.

If not, then you have a choice. And your decision has been to pay for
the Tube rather than make these lifestyle changes. Go figure...

No mate , when I started working in london the fares were reasonable.
I didn't get a job here *knowing* how bad the fares were because they
*weren't* that bad. They been slowly forced on me as the years went
by. And you saying I've made some sort of liftstyle choice so should
put up with the fares is just specious defeatist bull**** - you could
use that sort of argument to justify anything and let the people
responsible get away with it.

Don't like the way the country is being run? Go live somewhere else.

Don't agree with the bombing of Iraq? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like the cost of stamps? Go live somewhere else.

Etc etc.

B2003

John B February 12th 07 05:00 PM

fare dodgers

On 12 Feb, 16:47, "Boltar" wrote:
If not, then you have a choice. And your decision has been to pay for
the Tube rather than make these lifestyle changes. Go figure...

No mate , when I started working in london the fares were reasonable.
I didn't get a job here *knowing* how bad the fares were because they
*weren't* that bad. They been slowly forced on me as the years went
by.

This is simply not true (unless you started working in the middle of
Fares Fair, in which case that's rather unfortunate but a fairly
obvious one-off...)

In 1992, a monthly z1-6 Travelcard cost £91.40. The same card now
costs £165.20. [1]

Based on inflatiion (RPI), £91.40 in 1992 is the same as £126.71 in
2005. As a share of median earnings, £91.40 is the same as £152.12 in
2005. And as a share of GDP per capita, £91.40 is the same as £174.94
in 2005 (this is much higher than the earnings figure because of the
increase in income inequality...) [2]

Trending things forward to mid-2007, inflation has been running at
about 2.5% for 2 years, so the figure now would be £133. Earnings
growth has been running at about 5% (including inflation) so the
figure would be £168ish.

In orther words, if you've got a job where you've seen the same kind
of rise in earnings as the average UK worker, then you're spending the
same share of your income on your Travelcard that you would have spent
in 1992 (and I've actually rigged the figures against myself here,
because fares rose 14% between 1992 and 1993 - if I'd started a year
later then the calculation would have shown today as noticeably
cheaper).

[1] http://www.publications.parliament.u...0001/cmhansrd/
vo010409/text/10409w07.htm

[2] http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Tuggers February 12th 07 10:12 PM

fare dodgers

Perhaps the staff at Finsbury Park are the exception,cant comment on drivers
and pay however if the ballot is returned with a solid yes vote expect to
see several strike days.

oups.com...

Boltar February 12th 07 10:25 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 12, 6:00 pm, "John B" wrote:
In 1992, a monthly z1-6 Travelcard cost £91.40. The same card now
costs £165.20. [1]

Based on inflatiion (RPI), £91.40 in 1992 is the same as £126.71 in
2005. As a share of median earnings, £91.40 is the same as £152.12 in
2005. And as a share of GDP per capita, £91.40 is the same as £174.94
in 2005 (this is much higher than the earnings figure because of the
increase in income inequality...) [2]

Trending things forward to mid-2007, inflation has been running at
about 2.5% for 2 years, so the figure now would be £133. Earnings
growth has been running at about 5% (including inflation) so the
figure would be £168ish.

Thats all very fascinating and I'm sure you and your Casio had a great
time. What I can tell you is that my monthly travelcard cost me about
95 quid 3 years ago (which is as far back as I can remember, I've been
using the tube to go to work on and off for 10 years) , this month its
over 120. For 3 years with inflation of say 3% that 95 quid should now
be 95 * 1.03 ^ 3 = 103.80. So where has that other 17 quid come from
then?

B2003

James Farrar February 13th 07 12:03 AM

fare dodgers

On 12 Feb 2007 06:51:07 -0800, "Boltar"
wrote:

Isn't it funny
how travelcards are more expensive before 9.30. However I'm sure this
is purely for operational reasons and has nothing to do with fleeceing
the public.

Day travelcards are more expensive before 0930 to discourage tourists
from adding extra congestion to the morning rush hour.

John Rowland February 13th 07 12:22 AM

fare dodgers

Boltar wrote:

Don't like the way the country is being run? Go live somewhere else.

Don't agree with the bombing of Iraq? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like the cost of stamps? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like anything that TfL or LUL do? Go post somewhere else.

Mizter T February 13th 07 07:53 AM

fare dodgers

Paul Weaver wrote:

Ken's done wonders in moving scum to the buses leaving the tubes, on
the most part (save for the drug dealers and fare dodgers) free for
normal hard working people.

What a delightfully backward opinion.

John B February 13th 07 07:56 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 12, 11:25 pm, "Boltar" wrote:

Thats all very fascinating and I'm sure you and your Casio had a great
time. What I can tell you is that my monthly travelcard cost me about
95 quid 3 years ago (which is as far back as I can remember, I've been
using the tube to go to work on and off for 10 years) , this month its
over 120. For 3 years with inflation of say 3% that 95 quid should now
be 95 * 1.03 ^ 3 = 103.80. So where has that other 17 quid come from
then?

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

The additional increase is fair enough, because the UK economy is
currently showing substantial deflation in goods prices combined with
inflation in services prices. The Tube's cost base is primarily based
on services and wages rather than goods, so its costs will be rising
faster than inflation too...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Mizter T February 13th 07 08:28 AM

fare dodgers

On 13 Feb, 08:56, "John B" wrote:
[...]

You just don't get it John - what's evidence got to do with it? It's
all about sheer assertion of the facts. ;)

Boltar February 13th 07 08:34 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 13, 1:22 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Boltar wrote:

Don't like the way the country is being run? Go live somewhere else.

Don't agree with the bombing of Iraq? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like the cost of stamps? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like anything that TfL or LUL do? Go post somewhere else.

And there was me thinking this group was about general transport in
london issues. Or is it just for the LUL fan club?

B2003

Boltar February 13th 07 08:35 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:
A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

John B February 13th 07 08:50 AM

fare dodgers

On 13 Feb, 09:35, "Boltar" wrote:
On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

2007:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...card-adult.asp

2004:
http://web.archive.org/web/200406102...es.pdf#page=17

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Boltar February 13th 07 09:14 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 13, 9:50 am, "John B" wrote:
On 13 Feb, 09:35, "Boltar" wrote:

On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

2007:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ard-adult..asp

2004:http://web.archive.org/web/200406102...k/common/downl...

Hmm , theres something odd there. The rate it gives for my travelcard
in 2004 is much higher than I used to pay (I'm self employed so I have
to keep records of expenses) and in fact the rate it gives for 2007 is
more than I payed this month, only by 4 pounds but its still wrong. Or
maybe the guy at the ticket office got it wrong. Strange.

B2003

Helen Deborah Vecht February 13th 07 09:34 AM

fare dodgers

"Mizter T" typed

The additional increase is fair enough, because the UK economy is
currently showing substantial deflation in goods prices combined with
inflation in services prices. The Tube's cost base is primarily based
on services and wages rather than goods, so its costs will be rising
faster than inflation too...

You just don't get it John - what's evidence got to do with it? It's
all about sheer assertion of the facts. ;)

Anyway, with judicious use of Oyster, my partner's fare expenditure is
much less than in 2004. He made a little trip from Preston Road to
Uxbridge yesterday evening, cycling to the station. £1 each way, rather
cheaper than the £1.70 each way on Oyster in 2004...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

MIG February 13th 07 10:12 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 13, 10:14 am, "Boltar" wrote:
On Feb 13, 9:50 am, "John B" wrote:

On 13 Feb, 09:35, "Boltar" wrote:

On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

2007:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...card-adult.asp

2004:http://web.archive.org/web/200406102...k/common/downl...

Hmm , theres something odd there. The rate it gives for my travelcard
in 2004 is much higher than I used to pay (I'm self employed so I have
to keep records of expenses) and in fact the rate it gives for 2007 is
more than I payed this month, only by 4 pounds but its still wrong. Or
maybe the guy at the ticket office got it wrong. Strange.

B2003

Is it from NR with a (non)punctuality discount?

Boltar February 13th 07 10:56 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 13, 11:12 am, "MIG" wrote:
Is it from NR with a (non)punctuality discount?

No , its tube. No idea where the discrepancy comes from , but if I'm
getting it cheaper I'm not complaining though its still far too high
given the service.

B2003

whos2091 February 13th 07 06:14 PM

fare dodgers

If, and it's a big if, you detect you are to be subjected to "a lambada"
through a gate then it's quite fun to stop before the end of the aisle
and make loud shouty noises about what on earth is going on. ;-)

But the staff seem barely bothered. On a couple of occasions I have
complained to the guard about this and they just shrug their
shoulders. A short while back (about 6 months ago) at North Greenwich
a man bundled in behind my girlfriend and was shoving so hard he
bundled her over - he was a big bloke with 2 friends so the incident
was fairly alarming - I immediately approached the guard who told them
not to do it again but took no further action. This will go on being a
problem until LU takes it seriously.

Arthur Figgis February 13th 07 07:41 PM

fare dodgers

whos2091 wrote:
If, and it's a big if, you detect you are to be subjected to "a lambada"
through a gate then it's quite fun to stop before the end of the aisle
and make loud shouty noises about what on earth is going on. ;-)

But the staff seem barely bothered. On a couple of occasions I have
complained to the guard about this and they just shrug their
shoulders. A short while back (about 6 months ago) at North Greenwich
a man bundled in behind my girlfriend and was shoving so hard he
bundled her over - he was a big bloke with 2 friends so the incident
was fairly alarming - I immediately approached the guard who told them
not to do it again but took no further action. This will go on being a
problem until LU takes it seriously.

FWIW, when some little teenage oik tried to follow me in at East
Croydon, and I blocked him in, and turned round to shout "oi
wodyerfinkyerdoin", a large BTP officer appeared from nowhere in seconds
and took him for "a word" :-)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Dave A February 16th 07 10:07 PM

fare dodgers

Arthur Figgis wrote:
whos2091 wrote:
[...]

I was waiting for a friend at Embankment the other day and watched in
interest as a rather eccentric guy staked out near the station
entrances, picked a target heading for the gates, strode after them
quickly, got stuck in the gates and effed and blinded for a few moments,
then went back to the entrances and tried exactly the same thing another
time before succeeding the third time. The gateline staff didn't seem
too interested.

--
Dave Arquati

DaveP February 16th 07 11:19 PM

fare dodgers

The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

I told gateline staff about someone I saw doubling up at KX suburban as he
was heading for KX tube, he did the same there in front of both of us. The
staffer just said they would catch him eventually during one of the regular
stings there. The impression I got is that the gateline staff are just
there to make sure no-one gets stuck and to let people through manual
barriers who are carrying luggage etc. They have no interest in revenue and
are probably not authorised to issue PF's and would not be in the game of
detaining someone who didn't have a ticket. In fact they would probably
open the gates if you asked nicely enough, lest they be acqused of "false
imprisonment" or kidnap?

Rob Hamadi February 17th 07 09:26 AM

fare dodgers

On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me. The (Silverlink) "security" guard backed him up
shouting "What's it to do with you? How is it your business if he's
got a ticket?" at me.
--
Rob

eastender February 17th 07 10:56 AM

fare dodgers

In article ,
DaveP wrote:

They have no interest in revenue and
are probably not authorised to issue PF's and would not be in the game of
detaining someone who didn't have a ticket. In fact they would probably
open the gates if you asked nicely enough, lest they be acqused of "false
imprisonment" or kidnap?

More likely they are instructed to avoid confrontation for obvious
reasons.

E.

Stevo February 17th 07 02:52 PM

fare dodgers

Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me.

Tip for the future. In London NEVER confront anybody! Let him
squeeze through, and the authorities deal with him if they see him.
As you really could end up getting stabbed by a nutter.

Rob Hamadi February 17th 07 04:19 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 17, 3:52 pm, "Stevo" wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me.

Tip for the future. In London NEVER confront anybody! Let him
squeeze through, and the authorities deal with him if they see him.
As you really could end up getting stabbed by a nutter.

Thanks for the concern Stevo, but the fact that the man turned out to
be a sh*t didn't really come as much of a surprise. What did annoy me
was the attitude of the so-called security operative, who basically
made the decision to come out in support of the criminal who was
defrauding his employers and threatening one of their customers.
--
Rob

Mizter T February 17th 07 06:14 PM

fare dodgers

Rob Hamadi wrote:

On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me. The (Silverlink) "security" guard backed him up
shouting "What's it to do with you? How is it your business if he's
got a ticket?" at me.

If he was definitely a security guard, and the above is an accurate
portrayal of what he said, then I am surprised.

Perhaps the security guard and the guy knew each other, or perhaps the
security guard has sussed out his ground and knew whom to leave alone
if he was after an easy life.

Out of interest where did this happen?

Mizter T February 17th 07 06:31 PM

fare dodgers

On 17 Feb, 15:52, "Stevo" wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me.

Tip for the future. In London NEVER confront anybody! Let him
squeeze through, and the authorities deal with him if they see him.
As you really could end up getting stabbed by a nutter.

I disagree. If your policy is to never confront anyone (and when I say
confront this can merely mean a polite and queit word with someone)
then it's carte blanche for anyone who feels like it to take the ****
with no come. Obviously any one situation has to be addressed
individually according to specific circumstances - note that I'm not
saying one should *always* confront the person(s), just saying that I
think it's a bit pathetic to decide that one will *never* confront
anyone.

Rob Hamadi February 17th 07 11:05 PM

fare dodgers

On Feb 17, 7:14 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me. The (Silverlink) "security" guard backed him up
shouting "What's it to do with you? How is it your business if he's
got a ticket?" at me.

If he was definitely a security guard, and the above is an accurate
portrayal of what he said, then I am surprised.

He was, it is and so was I.

Perhaps the security guard and the guy knew each other, or perhaps the
security guard has sussed out his ground and knew whom to leave alone
if he was after an easy life.

I got the impression that they knew each other.

Out of interest where did this happen?

Camden Road. Incidentally, when I appealed to the Silverlink employee
in the ticket office, he seemed terrified of the "security" man and
eventually lost all command of the English language in an effort to
make me go away.
--
Rob